"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 12-19-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Pralines

Just wondering if typically, pralines are made with pecans. Is it all right it other nuts are used? I have mixed, cashews, walnuts and then a blend of seseme/sunflower/pepitas.

I just did a batch of Lady Jayla 'LeAnnes pralines from a very old New Orleans cookbook I got there at the junk store years ago. They are stupid good. Oh my gosh, a lot of work and ingreds but so good. I did walnuts in that batch as called for pecans, but didn't have any. So, are they still pralines or no?

Old 12-19-2007, 02:12 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Typically pecans are used. Other nuts would also work. I think they are pralines. Pralines are defined as a confection made with sugar syrup and nuts.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:01 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

....But, But, But, Miss LEFSE Ya gotta try pecans next time...You will be happy, happy, happy!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:03 PM   #4
Executive Chef

oh I love pecans, but I didn't have any but do have a plethora of other nuts in my freezer that I was hoping to put to good use.

Here's a question though..............
I made a caramel type candy that I have no idea how to wrap up. It's sticky and pliable so should I cut little pieces of waxed paper or parchment to house them in for giftgiving? I mean, I can't figure out a way of doing them in individual pieces by myself, I'm a dork at this
Old 12-20-2007, 12:08 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
You're not a dork lol!

waxed paper is a great idea.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:38 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Today, I finished the last of a gift I'd gotten in the mail from someone I met exactly once while working. I was sad due to the last bite of pralines and bored with studying so I made a batch of fakko pralines, my version. I used cashews and p-nuts as the nuts today. Hubby likes them so it was a safe bet to use.

2 c sugar
1 c heavy cream
1/8 t soda
1/2 stick butter
1/2 t lemon extract
1/2 t rose water

put all in heavy skillet, stir real well and cook until you reach 245 on candy thermometer. about 12 minutes. take off heat have nuts ready and parchment buttered. Stir in nuts and then stir until your arm falls off then switch arms. and continue with that one too until thick and mirky colored. I used a small ice cream scoop for ladling onto the buttered paper. let cool, gave one to husband, HE LOVES ME ALL OVER AGAIN, Yeah!
Had to share cause I love y'all so much
Old 02-17-2008, 08:25 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
Just wondering if typically, pralines are made with pecans. Is it all right it other nuts are used? I have mixed, cashews, walnuts and then a blend of seseme/sunflower/pepitas.

I just did a batch of Lady Jayla 'LeAnnes pralines from a very old New Orleans cookbook I got there at the junk store years ago. They are stupid good. Oh my gosh, a lot of work and ingreds but so good. I did walnuts in that batch as called for pecans, but didn't have any. So, are they still pralines or no?
I'm just not sure - I'll have to taste them!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:06 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
I'm just not sure - I'll have to taste them!
hummmmmmmmm....................................... ..^^^^okay! and you shall!
Old 02-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Typically, it's made with pecans. Every year when I'm in New Orleans I bring home lots of Aunt Sally's pralines. Last year, I found bananas foster pralines at the shoppe. I give most of them away as gifts but only to people who will really appreciate them.

When I find I have a few still sitting around I chop them and add them to oatmeal or pancakes or stuffed french toast. If you've got other nuts in yours, I don't see what is to stop you from enjoying them, hmmm???
Old 02-18-2008, 04:52 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veraa Blue
I bring home lots of Aunt Sally's pralines
Try Loretta's too! Spread your money around...In fact I accept cash myself!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None