"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 08-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
Master Chef

Sherbet Powder (for the Kids and big Kids!)

Just for fun, make this for my kids in the holidays to dip Lollipops in and I like it too!

1 cup of Icing Sugar
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp citric acid powder (available at pharmacies and supermarkets)
1 tsp tartaric acid
1 pkt of kool aid or tang powder to flavour.

Grind citric acid tang to a fine powder in a mortar and pestle or with the back of a spoon.
Mix all ingredients well.
Use for dipping lollipops. Yummy and tangy!
P.S Don't give children more than a few spoons of this at a time and make sure they drink fluids.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:18 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Snip mate I love the PS

Old 08-13-2011, 02:02 AM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Snip mate I love the PS
Sherbet powder homemade or bought can cause dehydration if too much is consumed. The Bicarb and citric acid act as a antacid so too much would cause tummy upset. Just thought I'd add the warning that candy manufacturers neglect to add!

Old 08-13-2011, 02:21 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Thank you for being responsible Snip. :) It sounds like something I'm going to have to make for my nephews to try when we get down state and live close enough to see them often.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:36 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Thank you for being responsible Snip. :) It sounds like something I'm going to have to make for my nephews to try when we get down state and live close enough to see them often.
Hope they like it Cherry, rasberry and tangerine are the most popular flavours so far. Made some for a few birthday parties and the kids loved those. I also add edible shimmer dust or glitter for sparkle (this amuses the little ones) It's available at most baking supply stores.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:49 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Cool. My nephews (actually they are my great nephews) are both toddlers so I'm sure they'll get a kick out of it. I'll have to limit them to a very small amount though, half a spoonful to share between them I think since they both are so young. Well, actually I have three (great) nephews in that area and a (great) niece but the one nephew is only a year and a half so he'll have to wait 'til he's a little older before I'd let him try this and my niece is 13 and "too old for silly kid things". That's ok though, I can still get her to smile with just a look when she's determined to be grouchy to everyone else. Oh she gets mad at me for making her happy when she doesn't want to be. She might try this if I try it with her though. It always makes me sad when kids reach the age that they don't think it's "cool" to be a kid anymore.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:05 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Cool. My nephews (actually they are my great nephews) are both toddlers so I'm sure they'll get a kick out of it. I'll have to limit them to a very small amount though, half a spoonful to share between them I think since they both are so young. Well, actually I have three (great) nephews in that area and a (great) niece but the one nephew is only a year and a half so he'll have to wait 'til he's a little older before I'd let him try this and my niece is 13 and "too old for silly kid things". That's ok though, I can still get her to smile with just a look when she's determined to be grouchy to everyone else. Oh she gets mad at me for making her happy when she doesn't want to be. She might try this if I try it with her though. It always makes me sad when kids reach the age that they don't think it's "cool" to be a kid anymore.
Gotta love the little ones! The teen years are a battle, my Daughter will be 18 when my Son is 13. Can you imagine! One will be starting puberty while the other will be at an age where she's almost grown up

You could give them each a nice heaped teaspoon, don't be mean :P
At worst they might just have a good bowel movement
My son is 4 and daughter 9. They both eat about 2 teaspoons with a lollipop and they don't get any "effects" from that amount.
Just mentioned what happens when large amount are consumed since some moms will let their kids eat the whole lot in one go! I buy little plastic cups with lids and portion the mix into those and put one in their school lunch box as a treat every now and again.

Tags
kids, recipe

Sherbet Powder (for the Kids and big Kids!) Just for fun, make this for my kids in the holidays to dip Lollipops in and I like it too! 1 cup of Icing Sugar 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda 1 tsp citric acid powder (available at pharmacies and supermarkets) 1 tsp tartaric acid 1 pkt of kool aid or tang powder to flavour. Grind citric acid tang to a fine powder in a mortar and pestle or with the back of a spoon. Mix all ingredients well. Use for dipping lollipops. Yummy and tangy! P.S Don't give children more than a few spoons of this at a time and make sure they drink fluids. 3 stars 1 reviews