Slow cooker substitute in crockpot candy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Astre88m

Assistant Cook
Hi,

Can anyone help me? I want to make crockpot candies but I do not own any slow cooker. What can be used for the making of those candies instead of slowcooker.

thank you.

Hi and welcome to DC :)

Do you have a particular type of candy in mind? It would help if you could post or link to a couple of recipes you want to try.

I haven't made a lot of candy, but probably a double boiler would be useful. I've used that to make chocolate bark.

Not knowing the recipe it's hard to come up with a suggestion. You might be able to use an electric skillet. I've never attempted a crockpot/slowcooker candy recipe. Actually never heard of it either. Crockpots and slowcookers are just appliances that provide low heat for very long cooking. If I was determined, I would put the 1" thick steel plate, that I use for warming, over the burner of my Wolf stove, turn the burner down very low and make the candy using a heavy pot.

Howdy!
Welcome to D.C.!
As was already stated, it would be helpful if you could give us an example of the recipe.
Generally speaking, I think you could likely use a double boiler to accomplish such a task.

If it's one like the Trisha Yearwood recipe with the peanuts, white chocolate, German chocolate and semi sweet chips, I would toast the peanuts a bit, then melt the three chocolates on low in the microwave, add the nuts, stir. Drop into the cupcake liners and allow to harden.

Hi thank you all for helping.
As per request I have copy paste the recipe i've got :

Crockpot Candy

Ingredients

o 2 pound white almond bark

o 4 ounces German chocolate bar

o 12 ounce bag semisweet chocolate chips

o 24 ounces dry roasted peanuts

Instructions

1. Add all ingredients to slow cooker. Let cook on low for 1 hour without messing with it. After an hour, stir to combine everything. Allow to cook for another hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

2. Drop spoonfuls of the candy onto wax paper and allow to cool completely.

Hope this will be useful to answer my questions.
OLDVINE: It looks like one of Trisha Yearwood recipe. Can you tell me how much time you melt the chocolates in the microwave? and on what function that is high, medium or low?
Also when melting your chocolates in the microwave, did it happen that it overheat the chocolate? it will be helpful to explain me how to melt the chocolate.
HOOT & GOTGARLIC: how would you process with the double boiler for this recipe?

thnks again

Last edited:
Basically, you are simply melting the chocolate and almond bark, and then combining with the nuts.
Here are a couple of links that will help you understand the process both with a double boiler and/or the microwave.
Melting Chocolate

How to Melt Chocolate

The trick with a double boiler is to not let the water get too hot. Even though the word boiler indicates high heat, you should not let the water get more than around 120 degrees F (49 - 50 degrees C).
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I would go with the microwave melt of all the chocolates and add the nuts, probably some other nuts beside peanuts at my house. I have that recipe in a cook book.
I'd give them a zap of about 20 seconds and check what's going on in the bowl. If the mass is still stiff, I might go 30 more seconds and maybe a repeat or two. Microwaving chocolate depends on your microwave. I make a Summer Time fudge using Velveeta cheese, butter, choco chips and nuts and sometimes marshmallows for rocky road. If I remember right, I zap it in 20 or 30 seconds rounds until it a nice stirring consistency then stir in the nuts and if using them, the marshmallows. I wouldn't even fool around with a slow cooker for that Trisha recipe. into the micro wave at my house since I'm the boss here.

If/when I make candy, I agree with Oldvine, I like to do it in the microwave. So quick and easy, and very little mess.

Yeah, I'm not sure why she would do it in a slow cooker. That would take much longer and use a lot more energy, and I can't see how the end result would be improved. Well, I suppose it's less likely to burn, but I think people are better off learning how to cope with and learn from those situations.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom