Sugar Plums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4meandthem

Half Baked
We made these last year and they were a hit. Not one person we gave them to had ever tried one.
Be warned! If you make batches of them get some help with the chopping.

2 cups TOASTED Whole Almonds finely chopped
1/4 cup Honey
2 tsp Grated Orange Zest
1 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground Allspice
1/2 tsp Grated Nutmeg
1 cup Finely chopped Dates
1 cup Finely chopped dried Apricots
1 cup Confectioners Sugar

Mix all ingredients except Sugar and make teaspoon sizes balls.
Roll the balls into the sugar and place on wax paper in single layers.
Store in airtight container.They will last a month (yeh-right)
The flavor gets even better after a couple of days.

I can't say I've ever tried one either, not sure I've even had the opportunity. The recipe sure looks scrumptious. Do you think a food processor would work OK for the chopping? These would be great to give as gifts in a nice jar. I'm copying and pasting this one now. Thanks!

You will KILL ANY food processor with this one!

They were Soooooo good they are worth the trouble.
I spent three hours chopping and my hands were killing me when we were done.I will probably do it again this year.

Dried dates and dried apricots won't get chopped in a food processor. They are too firm while still being gummy. They will only stick to the blade and the sides without being chopped. This is one of those times when simply dicing by hand on a cutting board is the best solution.

You will KILL ANY food processor with this one!

They were Soooooo good they are worth the trouble.
I spent three hours chopping and my hands were killing me when we were done.I will probably do it again this year.

Ha! OK. I've never actaully use one before but I have a small one given to me by a friend. Now I know! That doesn't deter me from making them. I'm getting a new knife with part of my paycheck next week so maybe that will help things along.

Back
Top Bottom