"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 07-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
Head Chef

Sweetened condensed milk in crockpot???

My sister asked me and now asking all of you. Have you ever heard of putting an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk in crockpot for 6 hrs and when you open it ....it has become caramel?

Wouldn't that be lil dangerous also
To me it seems like you would have to add something else, butter maybe ???????

Old 07-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Master Chef

she'scorrect- it's dulce de leche.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
Head Chef

okay that a new one on me thanks I'll pass it along
Old 07-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
Head Chef

It is fairly common here to boil canned condensed milk to make dulce de leche, which literally means "sweet milk". I have never heard of doing it in a crockpot. Here is a guide on how to do it safely:
The Cooking Inn : Canned Milk, Sweetened Condensed Milk, Evaporated Milk
Old 07-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
Head Chef

The makers of Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk warn again cooking an unopened can of their product "for safety reasons." Apparently the can may explode under certain circumstances. They recommend the following alternatives:
For an easy caramel topping or dip, simply heat EAGLE BRAND® and serve it over ice cream or with assorted cookies or fruit (such as bananas, apples and/or strawberries).

OVEN METHOD: Pour 1 can EAGLE BRAND® into 9-inch pie plate. Cover with aluminum foil; place in larger shallow pan. Fill larger pan with hot water. Bake at 425ºF for 1 hour or until thick and caramel-colored. Beat until smooth.

STOVETOP METHOD: Pour 1 can EAGLE BRAND® into top of double boiler; place over boiling water. Over low heat, simmer 1 to 1/2 hours or until thick and caramel-colored, stirring occasionally. Beat until smooth.

MICROWAVE METHOD: Pour 1 can EAGLE BRAND® into 2-quart glass measuring cup. Cook on MEDIUM (50% power) 4 minutes, stirring briskly every 2 minutes until smooth. Cook on MEDIUM_LOW (30% power) 20 to 25 minutes or until very thick and caramel-colored, stirring briskly every 4 minutes during the first 16 minutes and every 2 minutes during the last 4 to 10 minutes.

Notes:
For safety reasons, heating the unopened can (an old cooking method) is NOT recommended.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I have to go along with Scotch (and Eagle Brand) on this one. I have heard of people doing this (not in the crock pot though), but I would worry about pressure causing the can to explode. It is possible you could do it many times with no problems. But do you really want to take a chance of being blasted with sticky, boiling hot milk?

Barbara

Tags
None