Trouble with hard candy carmelizing too quickly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tastydiane

Assistant Cook
I am wondering if anyone can help me...
My hard candies are turning out great with the exception of the mixture is getting too carmelized! They are all tasting somewhat "burnt".
I am using cane sugar (not beet sugar as mentioned in another post) it's on "medium high" heat. Could it just be as simple as turning the temperature down and waiting longer to get to 310F? Wouldn't that temp also make the sugar brown?? Any/all advice is welcome. Thanks!
Cheers!
Diane

Hard candies can be really tricky.
I add a bit of corn syrup to my sugar before heating and give it a gentle swirl now and again. I don't stir just swirl by moving the pan around.

Thank you! I am using glucose and the final product is turning out nice and hard. It's just that it gets a bit carmelized before I reach the temp. This article mentions to lower the heat at some point which is what I'm going to try. Cheers!

Thank you! I am using glucose and the final product is turning out nice and hard. It's just that it gets a bit carmelized before I reach the temp. This article mentions to lower the heat at some point which is what I'm going to try. Cheers!

My pleasure . Hope you get the results you want.

Back
Top Bottom