Truffle Question: Even layer of chocolate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dejuanjaxon

Assistant Cook
So I made truffles last night (white chocolate coconut, ameretto, orange, and cinnamon/chili). I dipped the ganache balls into melted chocolate. My question; practically speaking, how do you dip the balls into the melted chocolate and then let the chocolate solidify while getting an even layer on them?

I just dumped the balls in the bowl of melted chocolate and rolled it around with a fork, though this makes a pretty thick chocolate layer. Then once I put them on wax paper, they get a little pool of chocolate around them at the bottom. Any suggestions? thanks much

A little pooling is inevitable. Try lowering the temperature of the chocolate so it's a little thicker and doesn't run as much.

Continue what you are doing EXCEPT place the truffles on a wire cooling rack with a parchment or wax paper lined cookie sheet under the rack to catch the drippings. This will avoid the "pooling" of chocolate you are experiencing. You can then remove the chocolate drippings which you can reuse to dip even more truffles in, make more, re-dip, etc.!

If you feel your chocolate layer is too thick, you may not have it tempered (hot/melted) enough. A thin first coat is not unusual in candy-making, so don't be discouraged if you have to do a second dip. In fact, that is exactly how I make my truffles.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom