Truffle Troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, Marmalady, haven;t figured out how to quote quite yet, but in answer to your question, he shipped it from Seattle, and I got the package yesterday. The white chocolate did melt a bit where it was next to the bottom of the box, and so did the milk chocolate. The dark didn't melt too bad. So, what I did when I opened the box of goodies, ( I was so giddy to get my packages I could barely stand it!!!) Anyhow, I immediately put the chocolate in a ziplox bag & into the fridge. They firmed up, and all looked fine this AM.

But now that you ask, I wonder what effect the melting had on the integrity of the chocolate????
Anyhow, that is what happened, marmalady.

B.

Good! I'm glad you didn't get the gooey, soggy mess I got one time!

If it just melted a little around the edges, it shouldn't be a problem. If you notice it's bloomed, or looks dry when you go to use it, I'd shave off those ends; they won't melt as smoothly.

When I read the recipe...I immediately thought...too much Karo syrup...this is my Classic Truffles recipe...

1 cup heavy cream
1 1/4 lb. semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup dutch process cocoa powder, sifted

Line an 8x8 pan with a piece of parchment paper, let paper extend over the edge.
Pour cream into heavy sauce pan and bring to a full boil over medium heat.
Remove from heat and slowly whisk in chopped chocolate and butter until melted.
Pout into prepared pan or to speed process, transfer mixture to a large bowl; referigate, stirring every five minutes until cooled, but, not cold then pour into the prepared pan.
Chill mixture.
Remove truffle mixture from pan carefully pulling up the edges of the paper.
Put on a large work surface.
Using a long sharp knife dipped in hot water and dried, cut into 1 inch squares.
Chill until ready to roll, covered up to one week.
Truffles can be rolled in cocoa, nuts, jimmies -- your choice. Place in candy papers and referigerate. Serve at room temperature. Truffles may be stored in tight containers up to a week at a cool temperatures.

These are delicious...Enjoy!!
I have additional recipes for Coconut truffles, Irish Cream truffles, Hazelnut (my favorite), Grand Marnier, and Candy Cane...

Time for an update. SO and I (mostly SO) made the Jacques Pepin recipe I found in his Complete Techniques book. (thanks, for the tip, marm)

The twist to this recipe is that it contains egg yolks. The filling is:

12 Oz. bittersweet choc.
4 egg yolks
2/3 stick of butter

We made three different flavors - raspberry dipped in chocolate, rum rolled in chopped nuts and frangelico rolled in cocoa powder.

They were firm and held their shape. BUT, using the recipe amounts for flavors, the taste of the flavoring was kind of weak, barely perceptible in some cases. I hesitate to add larger quantities as that might make the truffles softer and I'd be back to the original problem.

I'm thinking I should look for some extracts or syrups for the flavors I want to make and try that. Extracts or syrups would provide more flavor for a volume of liquid.

Any thoughts??

BTW: There are none left.

Andy M.,

You need to find Loran oils that come in many, many different flavors. They are very potent and will add the flavor that you are looking for...You will need to use just a few drops of these oils...I am sure that you could "google" them and buy on line or go to your favorite cake/candy making store and I am sure they will have them there...

wow all these recipes look great. i want to make truffles for the holiday season for my co-workers, but i dont know which recipe to make! they all look so good! Lyn i definitely want to pick up some of those oils you speak of. is it possible to make a few different flavored truffles in one batch? does that make sense? i've never made anything like this before.

bluespanishsky said:
...is it possible to make a few different flavored truffles in one batch? does that make sense? i've never made anything like this before.

You start by making the basic ganache for the center of the truffles then you can separate it into 2 or 3 containers and flavor each differently. Then shape them and roll in cocoa or dip in chocolate, etc.

Andy M. said:
You start by making the basic ganache for the center of the truffles then you can separate it into 2 or 3 containers and flavor each differently. Then shape them and roll in cocoa or dip in chocolate, etc.

fantastic.thank you. i plan on giving them a try soon.

Andy. .do you have the recipe for the truffles you just made? I just want a diffrent truffle recipe to make for the holidays. . im getting sick of making mine .. lol thanks in advance

Mochabean:

Sorry, we didn't keep the recipe. We were disappointed with the results so made no effort to record the recipe. S.O. wasn't happy with the end result vs. the effort requied to get there. We had used a recipe from a cookbook from the library.

One of the positives that came from the experience (other than getting to eat a lot of truffles) was the discovery of raspberry extract - we used it to make choc. rasp. truffles. They tasted great. S.O. has since used it in a batch of brownies too!!

Alix said:
I've used this one successfully, but it is kind of a cheat.

Ingredients

3 cups (18 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips 1 (14-ounce) can EAGLE BRAND® Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk) 1 tablespoon vanilla extract Coatings: finely chopped toasted nuts, flaked coconut, chocolate sprinkles, colored sugar, unsweetened cocoa, powdered sugar or colored sprinkles.

Prep Time 10 minutes Chill Time 3 hours

1. In heavy saucepan over low heat, melt chips with EAGLE BRAND®. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.

2. Chill 2 hours or until firm. Shape into 1-inch balls; roll in desired coating.

3. Chill 1 hour or until firm. Store covered at room temperature.

Microwave Directions In 1-quart glass measure, combine chips and Eagle Brand. Microwave at HIGH (100% power) 3 minutes, stirring after 1-1/2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Proceed as directed above.
Amaretto Truffles Substitute 3 tablespoons amaretto liqueur and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract for vanilla. Roll in finely chopped toasted almonds.
Orange Truffles Substitute 3 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur for vanilla. Roll in finely chopped toasted almonds mixed with finely grated orange peel.
Rum Truffles Substitute 1/4 cup dark rum for vanilla. Roll in flaked coconut.
Bourbon Truffles Substitute 3 tablespoons bourbon for vanilla. Roll in finely chopped toasted nuts.
I have a question about these.

Would I be able to use milk chocolate chips instead of semi sweet chocolate chips?
Maybe it's a stupid question...but I'm having a brain fart week. Especially today.

I just figured if someone was going to be so specific about something like that... it's for a reason. Otherwise they could just say chocolate chips..

The chocolate content of the milk choc. is significantly less than the semi-sweet and the taste is different.

I'm very aware the taste is different. I the looove milk chocolate chips i have.
Thats why I want to know this. Could I add more or something?

I have been making and dipping truffles for many years. You can use the same recipe for wht choc and milk choc. but use only 1 C cream or the centers will be too soft.

500 g bar of good bittersweet chocolate 60% or more... chopped
1 1/2 C heavy cream heated to boiling
Pour cream onto chocolate, stir until melted. Add 2 TBS unsalted butter and 3 TBS liqueur
Refrig until solid or overnight. Scoop out choc and form into small balls (use corn starch on your hands to help prevent sticking), refrig. for at least an hour. Dip into tempered 70% bittersweet chocolate. They will set up in minutes with a nice crisp shinny shell. Store in an air tight contaner in a cool place.

Whoops, nearly missed this. Milk chocolate chips are fine gobo, go for it. You can even try the white chocolate chips if you like. This recipe is pretty forgiving.

Back
Top Bottom