"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 10-11-2005, 12:01 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Truffle Troubles

I need some help. S. O. and I tried to make truffles this weekend and they didn't work out well.

We followed the recipe from a Sara Moulton show where she brought in a guest expert to make these truffles. The truffles turned out too soft and would not hold their shape even after an overnight chilling in the fridge.

They taste great and I'm OK with eating the 'mistakes'.

Here's the recipe we used. I would really appreciate your taking a look at it and offering some expert suggestions on the cause and cure of our problem.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Chocolate-Raspberry Truffles
Recipe courtesy Jackie Riley

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 1 minute
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Yield: about 6 to 8 servings
User Rating:

20 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
6 tablespoons corn syrup
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 to 7 tablespoons raspberry liqueur, such as framboise
Cocoa powder, for dusting

Put 12 ounces of the chocolate in a bowl. Whisk together the cream and corn syrup in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Pour over the chocolate and whisk until thoroughly combined and smooth. Whisk in butter until smooth and glossy. Add the raspberry liqueur and mix well.

Pour the chocolate into a deep pan and chill. When the chocolate is firm, scoop out small truffle balls, using a melon baller or other small scoop. (Dip scoop in very hot water before each scoop, patting each time onto a towel to avoid getting water into the chocolate mixture.) Chill truffles slightly, and then perfect the circular shape by rolling quickly in palms of your hands. Store the truffles in the refrigerator until ready to finish.

To finish the truffles: Melt the remaining 8 ounces of chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally. Set the bowl aside and let cool slightly, stirring occasionally, until just cooler than body temperature.

Put enough cocoa powder in a bowl to form a small pile. Wearing rubber gloves and working with 1 truffle at a time, rub some of the melted chocolate all over the truffles and roll quickly in your hands until smooth. Drop the truffles into the cocoa powder, roll to coat completely, and transfer to a platter. Store in a cool, dry place.

Old 10-11-2005, 12:19 PM   #2
Master Chef

Andy, I've only made truffles a couple of times so this isn't "expert" advice by far , but a couple of things jumped out at me when I read your problem and the recipe.

First, it seemed like a lot of liquid vs the 12 oz of chocolate in the truffle centers. Secondly, the step of dipping the centers in the melted chocolate seems a bit counterproductive. Even with the melted chocolate cooling a bit, I'd think that that would cause the centers to soften again. Couple that with an abundance of liquid in the centers as well as the possibility of warm hands (my BIG downfall) and you have way too soft of a truffle. Granted the warm hand thing is just an aside--that would prevent them from firming up in the fridge. I'm thinking too much liquid in this one.

Old 10-11-2005, 12:27 PM   #3
Everymom

I think you have too much raspberry stuff in it. Try using tsps instead of tbsps and you might have the right consistency.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:33 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks guys. I hink I'll take a look at some other recipes.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:44 PM   #5
Everymom

I've used this one successfully, but it is kind of a cheat.

Ingredients

3 cups (18 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips 1 (14-ounce) can EAGLE BRAND® Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk) 1 tablespoon vanilla extract Coatings: finely chopped toasted nuts, flaked coconut, chocolate sprinkles, colored sugar, unsweetened cocoa, powdered sugar or colored sprinkles.

Prep Time 10 minutes Chill Time 3 hours

1. In heavy saucepan over low heat, melt chips with EAGLE BRAND®. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.

2. Chill 2 hours or until firm. Shape into 1-inch balls; roll in desired coating.

3. Chill 1 hour or until firm. Store covered at room temperature.

Microwave Directions In 1-quart glass measure, combine chips and Eagle Brand. Microwave at HIGH (100% power) 3 minutes, stirring after 1-1/2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Proceed as directed above.
Amaretto Truffles Substitute 3 tablespoons amaretto liqueur and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract for vanilla. Roll in finely chopped toasted almonds.
Orange Truffles Substitute 3 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur for vanilla. Roll in finely chopped toasted almonds mixed with finely grated orange peel.
Rum Truffles Substitute 1/4 cup dark rum for vanilla. Roll in flaked coconut.
Bourbon Truffles Substitute 3 tablespoons bourbon for vanilla. Roll in finely chopped toasted nuts.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:01 PM   #6
Master Chef

Here's one of mine, too Andy. Let me know if you want more--I have several. (Alix, yours looks good. I can't wait to try some of the variations!)

Chocolate Merlot Truffles

¼ c heavy cream
¼ c merlot
12 oz (1 ½ c) sweet dark chocolate
½ c sweet butter, room temperature
½ c unsweetened powdered cocoa

In a small saucepan, add cream and simmer over low heat until it has been reduced by half to ¼ c. Add chocolate and merlot. Over low heat, stir frequently until chocolate is melted. Continue to stir until smooth.

Add butter; mix well, using a wire whisk. Remove from heat, and place in a small bowl. Refrigerate until hard, about 1 hour.

Using a melon baler or teaspoon, form into balls about 1” in diameter. Work quickly as truffles may melt in your hand. Place powdered cocoa in a bowl, and roll truffles in cocoa to coat evenly. Store truffles in refrigerator, and allow to come to room temperature for 20 minutes before serving.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:31 PM   #7
Executive Chef

My bet for the culprit is the corn syrup - think about what you use corn syrup in - pecan pies (gooey); marshmallow icing (gooey).

Here's a Jacques Pepin recipe that always works for me - nice variations, too!

BLACK TIE TRUFFLES

16 oz. of your very best bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped

¾ cup heavy cream

½ cup crème fraiche (or use same amount of well drained sour cream)

2T. unsalted soft butter

Heat the cream to a simmer; remove from heat and pour over chocolate; allow to sit til chocolate is melted (you may have to nuke it a little also). Gently stir the chocolate and cream, mixing only enough to smooth the mixture. Add the butter and crème fraiche, and stir only enough to incorporate. Divide mixture into three bowls, and add the following flavorings:

Espresso-Rum: Microwave 2 tsp. espresso powder in 1T cream and stir to combine well. USE 2 tsp. of this mixture. 1T dark rum. Mix together in one of the three bowls.

For covering, use cocoa powder.

Hazelnut – Add 1 1/2T frangelica to one of the bowls. For topping, roll in toasted chopped hazelnuts.

Cognac – Add 2T cognac, or brandy, and 1 tsp. almond extract to one of the bowls. For topping, use toasted finely chopped almonds.

Allow the mixtures to cool to room temp. Using a spoon, scoop out small balls of mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet – be sure to label on the parchment which flavors you’re working with!!!! Place in fridge to set up for about 30 minutes.

Roll each ball into its topping, and refrigerate til ready to serve. About 30 minutes before serving, remove from fridge.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:56 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
My bet for the culprit is the corn syrup - think about what you use corn syrup in - pecan pies (gooey); marshmallow icing (gooey).
Excellent point, marm!
Old 10-11-2005, 07:13 PM   #9
Everymom

Oh duh! I just reread the list and I think (as usual) marmalady has hit the culprit right off the top. Well done! Excellent detective work. LOL.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:42 AM   #10
Executive Chef

TY! Try one of the other recipes posted, and see what you think!

Also, re the idea of dipping them in melted chocolate - 'traditionally' they're just rolled in cocoa powder, so as to resemble the fungus truffles they're named for. I think the dipped ones came into being when they started being mass produced by the large candy companies - not to say they're bad (especially the Lindt ones!) but just not 'traditional'!

Tags
None