What else to do with Maple Candy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chopstix

Head Chef
Somebody gave me a big tin of excellent maple candy/taffy made by a candy store in Michigan. It's my first time to taste this -- wonderful! Seems like solidified maple syrup concentrate. I can only cut a teaspoon worth of it at a time to eat.

My question is, besides nibbling a bit of it at a time as candy, what else can I use this for? Can I use it to bake or cook anything? Thanks!

Is it the hard candy stuff or is it chewy? If its the hard stuff - smash a bunch into teeny chips and top ice cream with it, or a cheesecake. MMMMMM! I'd also chop it into chunks and sub it for regular toffee bits in Skor bar cookies.

...Seems like solidified maple syrup concentrate...

It is. It's maple syrup with even more water removed. You could grind it up and dissolve it in some warm water and you'd have maple syrup for your waffles/pancakes.

Is it the hard candy stuff or is it chewy?

It's the chewy type.

I can definitely melt some with water and as Andy suggested, use in place of syrups in recipes. This way, I can make the syrup as thick as I want because I find regular pure maple syrup a bit too runny.

Thanks to you both!

Doesn't the candy come in little maple leaf shapes? If so you could use it as a garnish or decoration at Thanksgiving...like one in the center of a pumpkin pie or one next to a scoop of vanilla ice cream

The way the maple candy was formed, it was poured into the decorative tin can and had solidified in it. The candy is about an inch and a half deep. I can't turn it out of the can. I can only slice bits of it off -- not very nice looking at all -- but tastes amazing.

Mmmmm maple. If you can get chunks off, try dropping a bit in hot milk, or coffee too. Major yumminess! I bet it would be killer in almond milk too.

Back
Top Bottom