"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,634
What is Your Chocolate Pleasure

What is your favorite Chocolate Treat? it can be a certain truffle from a box of chocolates, a particular brand of pure chocolate, a desert, a cake, a pie, a candy bar, a chocolate beverage, anything chocolate, including nibs.

Maybe I'll put it like this:
Favorite Chocolate beverage:
Favorite Chocolate bar:
Favorite Chocolate desert:
Favorite Chocolate Confection:
What is the best Chocolate item you've made/created:

I'll give my answers a bit later.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

__________________

__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
Admiral of the Texas Navy
 
forty_caliber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,413
Sourdough Chocolate Cake

INGREDIENTS
Cake
1 cup sourdough starter
1 cup milk, whole
2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 cup natural cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
1 shot espresso
2 large eggs
Icing
6 cups confectioners' sugar
3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 shots espresso
1 tablespoon hot water
Drizzle
2 ounces semisweet chocolate chips, 1/3 cup
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1 shot espresso

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Combine the "fed" starter, milk, and flour in a large mixing bowl. Cover and let rest at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours. It won't necessarily bubble, but it may have expanded a bit.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together the sugar, oil, vanilla, salt, baking soda, cocoa. and espresso. The mixture will be grainy.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Gently combine the chocolate mixture with the starter-flour-milk mixture, stirring till smooth. This will be a gloppy process at first, but the batter will smooth out as you continue to beat gently.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
7. Bake the cake for 30 to 40 minutes, until it springs back when lightly pressed in the center, and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
8. Remove the cake from the oven, and set it on a rack to cool while you make the icing.
9. Sift the confectioners' sugar into a large mixing bowl, and set it aside.
10. In a small saucepan set over medium heat, melt the butter and add the cream. Add esspresso to the hot water, add to the pan, and bring the mixture just to a boil.
11. Immediately pour the simmering liquid over the confectioners' sugar in the bowl, and beat till smooth.
12. Pour the warm frosting over the cake. If you wait too long and the frosting stiffens up, making it difficult to spread it over the cake.
13. Combine the chocolate chips, milk, and corn syrup in a microwave-safe cup. Microwave till the chips soften, then stir till smooth.
14. Drizzle/drip the chocolate over the icing. You can do this while the icing is still warm, or wait till it's cooled.
__________________

__________________
"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here."
Davy Crockett, 1836
forty_caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,270
Favorite Chocolate beverage: Godiva Liqueur Martini
Favorite Chocolate bar: Snicker's
Favorite Chocolate dessert: Chocolate lava cake with ganache
Favorite Chocolate Confection: dark chocolate truffles
What is the best Chocolate item you've made/created: Mexican Chocolate Cookies
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,476
I usually only eat chocolate during the eating season from late October through April so some of my answers are seasonal and for the most part pretty basic.

For a beverage it would be hot chocolate with a shot of peppermint schnapps and some whipped cream with a candy cane stirrer.

Candy bar would be a Reese's cup or a Kit Kat

Chocolate dessert is either Andy M's chocolate snack cake or Hershey's Chocolate Bar Pie.

A confection would be a box of Chocolate Truffles or a box of good quality miniatures for Christmas.

The best thing I make is The Hershey Bar Pie or one of it's many variations everyone seems to like it.

Hershey Bar Pie

12 ounces Hershey chocolate bars, plain or with almonds.
16 large marshmallows
1/3 cup milk
1cup heavy whipping cream

2 T confectioners’ sugar
1 t real vanilla extract
1 9 inch pie crust of your choice. Plain pastry blind baked, chocolate crumb, graham cracker crumb, etc…


Breakup chocolate bars and place in the top of a double boiler along with the milk and the marshmallows. Stir over simmering hot water until everything is melted, do not boil. Let the chocolate mixture cool. Whip cream to form stiff peaks, add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Combine half of the whipped cream mixture with the cooled chocolate mixture and mound into the pie shell. Chill for at least two hours. When serving use the remaining whipped cream to decorate each slice.

Notes
You can add instant espresso powder to the marshmallow mixture while it is melting start with a teaspoon and go up to a tablespoon.

I usually make it in the morning and let it chill 6 to 8 hours.

I usually whip half the cream and make the pie, then whip the remaining cream just before serving.




Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Favorite Chocolate beverage: Hot cocoa made from scratch
Favorite Chocolate bar: Hershey's Dark Chocolate
Favorite Chocolate desert: Scratch warm chocolate pudding
Favorite Chocolate Confection: See above - Pudding
What is the best Chocolate item you've made/created: Hershey's Back of the cocoa can cake filled with whipped cream and covered with Hershey's frosting.

I am not a sweet eater. Too much sugar turns me off right away.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Head Chef
 
KatyCooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 1,157
Favourite Chocolate beverage: Hot Chocolate (I use Green & Black's Cocoa and I make it in the microwave - is that bad?) (It tastes great and has a lovely creamy froth on top so it works for me!)
Favourite Chocolate bar: Green & Black's dark chocolate with almonds
Favourite Chocolate desert: Fresh Cream Profiteroles with chocolate sauce
Favourite Chocolate Confection: Chocolate coated Brazil nuts or Ferraro Roche (I think chocolate and nuts are a divine combination)
What is the best Chocolate item you've made/created: I am very poor at cooking with chocolate. I did make some quite palatable chocolate and hazlenut biscuits a few months ago though.
KatyCooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,007
Favorite chocolate beverage: good ol' chocolate milk
Favorite chocolate bar: Hershey's Milk Chocolate with Almonds
Favorite chocolate dessert: double layer chocolate cake w choc frosting
Favorite chocolate confection: Norman Love's chocolate covered toffee
What is the best chocolate item you have made: a chocolate cake with peanut butter filling and frosting for my Reese's-flavors-loving DDIL.

Norman Love is a local chocolatier who makes the most gorgeous chocolates. Check out his website.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,114
Thank you so much for sharing this Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

Hershey Bar Pie

12 ounces Hershey chocolate bars, plain or with almonds.
16 large marshmallows
1/3 cup milk
1cup heavy whipping cream

2 T confectioners’ sugar
1 t real vanilla extract
1 9 inch pie crust of your choice. Plain pastry blind baked, chocolate crumb, graham cracker crumb, etc…


Breakup chocolate bars and place in the top of a double boiler along with the milk and the marshmallows. Stir over simmering hot water until everything is melted, do not boil. Let the chocolate mixture cool. Whip cream to form stiff peaks, add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Combine half of the whipped cream mixture with the cooled chocolate mixture and mound into the pie shell. Chill for at least two hours. When serving use the remaining whipped cream to decorate each slice.

Notes
You can add instant espresso powder to the marshmallow mixture while it is melting start with a teaspoon and go up to a tablespoon.

I usually make it in the morning and let it chill 6 to 8 hours.

I usually whip half the cream and make the pie, then whip the remaining cream just before serving.




__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,114
I love the sound of this one, cheers 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
Sourdough Chocolate Cake

INGREDIENTS
Cake
1 cup sourdough starter
1 cup milk, whole
2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 cup natural cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
1 shot espresso
2 large eggs
Icing
6 cups confectioners' sugar
3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 shots espresso
1 tablespoon hot water
Drizzle
2 ounces semisweet chocolate chips, 1/3 cup
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1 shot espresso

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Combine the "fed" starter, milk, and flour in a large mixing bowl. Cover and let rest at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours. It won't necessarily bubble, but it may have expanded a bit.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan.
3. In a separate bowl, beat together the sugar, oil, vanilla, salt, baking soda, cocoa. and espresso. The mixture will be grainy.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Gently combine the chocolate mixture with the starter-flour-milk mixture, stirring till smooth. This will be a gloppy process at first, but the batter will smooth out as you continue to beat gently.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
7. Bake the cake for 30 to 40 minutes, until it springs back when lightly pressed in the center, and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
8. Remove the cake from the oven, and set it on a rack to cool while you make the icing.
9. Sift the confectioners' sugar into a large mixing bowl, and set it aside.
10. In a small saucepan set over medium heat, melt the butter and add the cream. Add esspresso to the hot water, add to the pan, and bring the mixture just to a boil.
11. Immediately pour the simmering liquid over the confectioners' sugar in the bowl, and beat till smooth.
12. Pour the warm frosting over the cake. If you wait too long and the frosting stiffens up, making it difficult to spread it over the cake.
13. Combine the chocolate chips, milk, and corn syrup in a microwave-safe cup. Microwave till the chips soften, then stir till smooth.
14. Drizzle/drip the chocolate over the icing. You can do this while the icing is still warm, or wait till it's cooled.
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,096
Favorite Chocolate beverage: Kahlua Mudslide with Chocolate Swirls
Favorite Chocolate bar: 3 Musketeers
Favorite Chocolate desert: Chocolate Lava Cake
Favorite Chocolate Confection: Fudge
What is the best Chocolate item you've made/created: Malted Mocha Frosted Brownies
MrsLMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,114
Favorite Chocolate beverage: Hot Milo
Favorite Chocolate bar: Mars Bar
Favorite Chocolate desert: Chocolate Ganache Tart
Favorite Chocolate Confection: Lindt...anything Lindt
What is the best Chocolate item you've made: Chocolate Ganache Tart
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 12,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
Favorite Chocolate beverage: Kahlua Mudslide with Chocolate Swirls....
Oh thank goodness someone else's favorite chocolate beverage is an adult one!

Favorite Chocolate beverage: Chocolate raspberry martini
Favorite Chocolate bar: Ritter Dark Chocolate With Macadamia Nuts bar
Favorite Chocolate desert: Triple-chocolate cake
Favorite Chocolate Confection: Chocolate-covered cherries, but when back home I always buy Malley's dark chocolate Nutmallow.
What is the best Chocolate item you've made/created: A different triple-chocolate cake. From scratch. Once. : chocolate layers with a chocolate custard fill and chocolate ganache icing. Decadent, delicious...and difficult for me.
__________________
“How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?”— Charles de Gaulle

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #13
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,634
Favorite chocolate Beverage: my own decadent hot cocoa with a hint of orange flavor

Favorite Chocolate Bar: Lindt 70% Cacoa, or Dark Ritter Sport w/whole hazlenuts

Favorite Chocolate Desert: Silky Smooth chocolate pudding pudding, not instant, but cooked, with a little Nutella blended in

Favorite Chocolate Confection: This was a tie between Lindor Lint truffles, all flavors, and See's Candy - bluberry, or raspberry truffles

Chocolate Butter Cream/Nutella Frosting covered Chocolate-Mayonaise Cake, 6 layer (at least that was my most popular chocolate desert. No one could get enough of it.)

Chief Longwind's Hot Cocoa Recipe:
1 Lindt 70% Cacoa 3.5 oz. bar
1 Cadbury DairyMilk 3.5 oz bar
a scant pinch of Kosher salt
4 oz. half-N-Half
4 oz. whole milk

Heat water in a double boiler and add the chocolate bars into the top pot. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir until silky smooth and pour into mugs to share with the most precious person in your life.


Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the north
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:05 AM   #14
Head Chef
 
merstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,002
Favorite Chocolate beverage: Hot chocolate with Dutch Processed cocoa powder, cinnamon and vanilla extract

Favorite Chocolate bar: Newman's Own Organics Super Dark Chocolate 70%

Favorite Chocolate dessert: Too many favorites to pick just one

Favorite Chocolate Confection: Homemade bittersweet chocolate truffles

What is the best Chocolate item you've made: It's a tie between Devil's Food Cake with dark chocolate ganache and Mexican Chocolate Icebox Cake with sponge cake layers.
__________________
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
merstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:53 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,114
All this talk about chocolate...I must now go and devour some

Merstar, I love truffles too
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
What is your favorite Chocolate Treat?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I am trying to remember the last time I ate chocolate. As I've cut sugar out of my diet, my cravings for something chocolate have disappeared.

Favorite Chocolate beverage: Homemade hot cocoa
Favorite Chocolate bar: --
Favorite Chocolate desert: My grandma's sour milk frosted chocolate cookies
Favorite Chocolate Confection: --
What is the best Chocolate item you've made/created: Triple chocolate Ice Cream with a hint of cayenne pepper
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #17
Master Chef
 
jabbur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 5,605
Favorite Chocolate beverage: Chocolate malt milkshake

Favorite Chocolate bar: Snickers

Favorite Chocolate dessert: Tie between Ella's chocolate dessert (nutty crust with cream cheese layer, chocolate pudding layer, whipped cream layer) and Krazy Kake

Favorite Chocolate Confection: chocolate fudge with walnuts

What is the best Chocolate item you've made/created: Krazy Kake
__________________
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #18
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 1,272
Favourite choc beverage : Cadburys or Green and Blacks drinking chocolate/cocoa
Favourite choc bar : Any Green and Blacks bar
Favourite choc dessert : Delias squidgy chocolate log
Favourite choc confection : anything from Hotel Chocolat
Best choc item created : Delias squidgy chocolate log
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 13,163
I used to make this chocolate mousse every Christmas. Everyone raved about it. It is very light and ever so chocolatey. I have made it with white chocolate and various % chocolates, but this is the base recipe I used starting in 1985:

3 egg yolks
1 whole egg
1/3 c fine sugar (I would put granulated sugar in the FP to make it finer)
3 oz bittersweet chocolate
1 oz bitter chocolate
1-1/2 tsp gelatin, dissolved according to package directions
2 c + 2-1/2 T whipped cream
1-2 T milk chocolate flakes
2 T icing sugar
4 almond paste macaroons
1/2 oz (or more) dark rum or brandy
bittersweet, dark chocolate, or milk chocolate flakes

Directions:

1. Combine egg yolks, whole egg, and fine sugar. Beat until lemony yellow and fluffy.
2. Melt bittersweet chocolate and bitter chocolate over water in a double-boiler.
3. Combine melted chocolate with dissolved gelatin.
4. Temper egg mixture with a bit of the melted chocolate and gelatin.
5. Fold in whipped cream.
6. Spread 1/2 of mixture in the bottom of dessert glasses or a glass bowl.
7. Top with crushed macaroons.
8. Sprinkle with rum or brandy.
9. Top with remaining mousse mixture.
10. Chill at least 2 hours.
11. Garnish with chocolate flakes, icing sugar, fresh mint or berries.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Favourite choc beverage : Cadburys or Green and Blacks drinking chocolate/cocoa
Favourite choc bar : Any Green and Blacks bar
Favourite choc dessert : Delias squidgy chocolate log
Favourite choc confection : anything from Hotel Chocolat
Best choc item created : Delias squidgy chocolate log
I have never tried a Green and Blacks bar, I have seen them in the shops here though...may have to give one a go
__________________

__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×