"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2019, 02:49 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
While sightseeing in Newburyport yesterday, I had the pleasure of eating a raspberry cream filled dark chocolate truffle. A memorable chocolate eating experience.

Side note: SO left her wallet/phone in the candy shop. We found out an hour later when we got home to a phone message telling us they had her stuff. So we turned around and did another round trip to retrieve the wallet/ phone. It was a long day.

I sure hope you got more of those delectable truffles on the return trip!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Gosh golly gee, Andy! I agree with Kayelle... as you had to go back you might as well have gotten some more to soothe your aching trip aches.

Old 10-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Favorite chocolate? FAVORITE chocolate? *gasp* Why, that would be like saying which of our children is my favorite. Let's just say that my favorite chocolate is the one I'm eating when I'm having chocolate. Sometimes you can be satisfied with cheap check-out stuff, sometimes only a high-end piece will do. I must say, though, that if any of you are in the Berkshire Mountains in western MA, make a stop at Chocolate Springs Cafe. We bought a selection of their truffles when we spent a couple days up that way visiting OH friends who were staying in the Berkshires. Wonderful stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
...MY favorite chocolate treat is the Mini Chocolate Cream Pie I make from
Christina Lane: https://www.dessertfortwo.com/chocolate-cream-pie-2/...
While the recipe looks delicious (and I do plan on making this pie), I was really touched by her story before I got to the recipe. I was also going to ask you how much "four sheets of graham crackers" measures out to be - I have graham cracker crumbs I bought spur-of-the-moment because they were on sale and strawberries were in season and I planned to make a smaller version of a loved dessert from our past...but never got around to it. Anyway, I ended up googling and found out that six sheets of graham crackers crush down to one cup of crumbs. This recipe would need 2/3 cup of crumbs. Just thought I'd let you know.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

While the recipe looks delicious (and I do plan on making this pie), I was really touched by her story before I got to the recipe. I was also going to ask you how much "four sheets of graham crackers" measures out to be - I have graham cracker crumbs I bought spur-of-the-moment because they were on sale and strawberries were in season and I planned to make a smaller version of a loved dessert from our past...but never got around to it. Anyway, I ended up googling and found out that six sheets of graham crackers crush down to one cup of crumbs. This recipe would need 2/3 cup of crumbs. Just thought I'd let you know.
I apologize for not mentioning that I do not make her crust.. I was/am more delighted by her chocolate filling recipe and that its perfect for a small pie for us.. Jeannie beams when I tell her its chocolate pie night.. I don't care for cracker or cookie crusts and always bake a commercial pie crust to fill..

As to Christina Lane, I adore her and am always happy reading her blog..

Ross
Old 10-06-2019, 06:40 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
If I'm going to eat chocolate, it has to be See's. I'm old enough to remember when you could only buy it in California. Among my favorites are the the Butterscotch Squares and the Bordeaux.
https://www.sees.com/chocolate/assor...rs/200399.html
While I really like a lot of the different candies from See's, I have a favourite: California Brittle. That is still one of my top five favourite chocolates.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:13 AM   #26
Master Chef

For boxed chocolates, it has to be See's. But the two local Chocolatiers are neck and neck with their assortment of Truffles.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:48 PM   #27
Sous Chef

Chocolate Crinkles (cookies). A fond memory from my childhood. My mom would often make these cookies and they were the best things ever to me.

I'd make them myself, but I hate baking.
Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:25 PM   #28
Master Chef

The only chocolate store near me is Godiva. I've never bought anything there. I hear it is pretty pricey, but they must do a pretty good business, as they have been in the same location for a good ten years, or more.

CD
Old 10-09-2019, 08:41 PM   #29
Master Chef

I'm nibbling on a couple of Twix Bites now, so at this moment they're my fave.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:12 AM   #30
Sous Chef

I know my cookie treat isn't actual chocolate, since everyone seems to be talking specifically about candy, but I prefer chocolately things (like cookies or cake or brownies) rather than chocolate itself. I'm not a huge chocolate fan.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:55 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

The question is your favorite chocolate treat, not your favorite chocolate candy, so cake qualifies Flourless chocolate cake with chocolate ganache topping would be a close second for me.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:35 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

I can´t get enough of this chocolate bar:

Not sure if you can find it in the US, but it is the perfect treat, 70% noir, no sugar added and orange taste.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The question is your favorite chocolate treat, not your favorite chocolate candy, so cake qualifies Flourless chocolate cake with chocolate ganache topping would be a close second for me.
Sounds awesome, GG
Old 10-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
Sounds awesome, GG
I made it for a Christmas Eve dessert a few years ago and it *is* awesome. And really easy.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

I'm addicted to a Spanish commercial chocolate bar, 70% noir chocolate, no added sugar (Stevia) and orange. Delicious

The brand is Valor, I put a photo but the comment was not approved. Don't think it is sold I. The US
Old 10-10-2019, 09:42 PM   #36
Head Chef

I can resist most anything until I bring it home. Every single year I buy a big bag several big bags of fun-size milk chocolate candies just in case a trick or treater shows up, promising myself this time I'll be self-disciplined and eat any Holloween leftovers only in moderation.

Never kept that promise; not once.

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chocolate, other

« Fudge Questions | - »