What type of coloring to use for candy making

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jleworth

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I’d like some input on what type of coloring to use for taffy and hard candy. I’ve been looking to buy some and I’ve noticed that many contain sugar/corn syrup but I was always taught that you should never add anything containing sugar to your candy while it’s cooling, because doing so could cause it to sugar (recrystallize). Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is this true? What kind of coloring is best/worst? Any input is appreciated, thanks I’m advance.

Jim

I've made sugar glass and used regular Wilton food colouring. No problems.

I've never made 'hard' candy per se, but using red food dye when making candied apples has never been a problem either.

The only taffy I've ever made was 'pulled' taffy and it starts as a dark caramel colour, lightens up considerably after pulling. I vaguely remember adding some colour as we pulled it. It was long ago, the only colours available back then were the liquid type. I don't remember it being a problem.

I assume you are thinking of making soft 'salt-water' taffy? I've never made that. Wouldn't even know where to start. Try googling it and see what you come up with.

GG - Most colours are generally added at the end, especially if you are dividing the recipe for more than one colour.

Mind you, unless you have people helping with extra hands it is a little more difficult for the pulled type as it must be worked fairly quickly.

GG - Most colours are generally added at the end, especially if you are dividing the recipe for more than one colour.

Mind you, unless you have people helping with extra hands it is a little more difficult for the pulled type as it must be worked fairly quickly.
As you can t, I'm not a candy maker ;) So have you heard about food coloring causing problems if it contains sugar?

We saw an episode on one of the cooking show channels where the guy was making taffy in a horse drawn trolley. I can't remember for sure, and neither can Craig, but he made the taffy plain and then used extracts and food coloring (we can't remember whether it was gel or liquid), down the middle of some flattened taffy, sealed it, and then started pulling to mix the color/flavor into the plain taffy. It's Roman Candy Company. You might be able to find a video of it.

We saw an episode on one of the cooking show channels where the guy was making taffy in a horse drawn trolley. I can't remember for sure, and neither can Craig, but he made the taffy plain and then used extracts and food coloring (we can't remember whether it was gel or liquid), down the middle of some flattened taffy, sealed it, and then started pulling to mix the color/flavor into the plain taffy. It's Roman Candy Company. You might be able to find a video of it.

I saw the same technique on the "How Its Made" TV show a few years back..and.. That's the method used by Carousel Taffy and Candy on the wharf on Monterey Bay.. They have been doing so for approx 50 years..

Ross

Of course, we've mostly been talking about taffy, pulled or not. But hard candy might be a different matter. As colour while heating sugar is very important, so it can also be done with your basic 'soft', 'medium', hard crack stages. If you are using that way your colour stages might not be that important.

Again - I don't know, never made 'hard' candy (other than by accident :angel: even had to throw out the pan and my mother was NOT impressed when she got home) Things move so quickly once things start to heat up I don't figure you have much choice as to when to add colour.

Hope all this helps the OP.

I use wilton gel coloring for my hard candy. It is very concentrated. I have always read to add it in the end and I follow those instructions. The thing I'm having a hard time with is my candy turning amber just before it reaches 300 degrees. I have an electrical stovetop. Do you think electrical vs. gas stove would make a difference in the cooking of candy?

I have an electrical stovetop. Do you think electrical vs. gas stove would make a difference in the cooking of candy?

You can pick up a quality induction hob (with a couple of pans) for about 60 bucks. I have a ceramic cooktop and use one of these for sauces, omelettes, seafood, etc. Temperature control is fantastic... much better than electric, and even better than gas (as there is a much larger range of temperatures).

Note this is a 120V 15A device, so will not be good for boiling 5 quarts of water, but will be great for smaller pans.

Hello,

I’d like some input on what type of coloring to use for taffy and hard candy. I’ve been looking to buy some and I’ve noticed that many contain sugar/corn syrup but I was always taught that you should never add anything containing sugar to your candy while it’s cooling, because doing so could cause it to sugar (recrystallize). Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is this true? What kind of coloring is best/worst? Any input is appreciated, thanks I’m advance.

Jim

Powdered coloring is best, we used it in pulled sugar.
add to boiling syrup just as it reaches temp.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom