What's your favorite brand of chocolate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jasonr said:
...For the snobs out there who don't acknowledge milk chocolate, I would point out that milk chocolate outsells dark in virtually every country (including Europe) with the exception of France.

Am I automatically a "snob" because I don't like milk chocolate?? I do acknowledge its presence in the world (and permit it), however, if that helps offset my snobbery any!

The fact that milk outsells dark even in a ... country ... like Europe proves what, exactly? That popularity equates with superiority?

Meanwhile, to answer the question asked: love Valhrona, don't exactly suffer through Lindt, think several Greek chocolates are excellent, and don't mind Carrefour's house brand either.

Haha....I'm not the biggest milk chocolate fan either. There is so much flavor in fine dark chocolate that I just can't go back! lol...but it's true...there are a few good milk chocolates but they still don't compare to dark chocolate in my opinion. Dark chocolate is getting more and more popular and I have converted a few in my family as well haha.

Have a good one,
Robert
Chocolate Guild :: learn about chocolate, talk about chocolate

For "fondente" fans, have you guys ever tried the real Italian style hot chocolate? It makes the "chocolate flavoured hot milk" which is usually known as "hot chocolate" in other countries look like a joke... You actually melt a block of very good quality fondente chocolate (semi-sweet), some additional pure cocoa powder again good quality, blend it in with hot milk and whipping cream, it is really dense and rich, I am sure it is any chocolate lover's dream. Cris is really good at making them, if anyone is interested I will ask him for an exact recipe!

urmaniac13 said:
For "fondente" fans, have you guys ever tried the real Italian style hot chocolate? It makes the "chocolate flavoured hot milk" which is usually known as "hot chocolate" in other countries look like a joke... You actually melt a block of very good quality fondente chocolate (semi-sweet), some additional pure cocoa powder again good quality, blend it in with hot milk and whipping cream, it is really dense and rich, I am sure it is any chocolate lover's dream. Cris is really good at making them, if anyone is interested I will ask him for an exact recipe!

Forget the recipe. Send me a sample!

Attachments

• homer.jpg
    homer.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 133
Here ya go, Ken!!

img_380040_0_a8ca1ea5c892874ec63b2df27748a8a5.jpg

Here you can see how thick and rich it is... now prepare some whipped cream and pile it on, then ENJOY!!:-p

Look pretty much like a Ganache! lol...must not be for people trying to diet lol....but yeah that kind of hot chocolate or "drinking chocolate" is getting more and more popular...where you just melt chocolate into milk/dairy...its like a liquid ganache...a lot more fat but a lot more rich as well...that picture is tempting...they need to invent a way to send food over the internet...haha

Robert
Chocolate Guild :: learn about chocolate, talk about chocolate

Yeah, "liquid ganache" is a good description for it!!:LOL: Although it is super rich, both tastewise and calorie wise, it doesn't take a pint to satisfy you, just a little will do the job... like espresso coffee, the Italians prefer "quality over quantity" when it comes to hot drink!!

I love Lindt 70% dark chocolate squares.
I had one of those every day and it makes me feel special;dark chocolate is so much better and healthy to boot.

;) I like Lindt but especially their Christmas Chocolates which you can only get in Germany I had It there 7 years ago and they come in the most beautiful tins etc.But the absolute best of their xmas bars is the Lindt bar with corriander and cinnamon with or with out almonds.It is devine.Next to that I love the German Milka Chocolates their xmas Speculatis is very close to the lindt.The only problem is you cant get these in the America
I would love to hear from the people living in Germany what they think of these special xmas chocolates.
Next my favorite is homemade truffles made with Ghirradelle{spelling?}cream and great liquors like grand marnier,kalua and any great nut liquors then rolled in cocoa,nuts coconut etc

Last edited:
urmaniac13 said:

((((LICIA))))
Dear buddy and pal PLEASE ask Cris for the exact recipe!!!!:flowers: This looks amazing and a definite chocolate lovers dream not to mention better than any stupid hormone replacement!!!:wacko: I'll be waiting here with chocolate brick and milk and droste cocoa powder by the stove:w00t2: Love and energy, Vicki

the best cheapest chocolate

After spending a fortune for microscopic bars of chocolate to use for baking, I discovered Trader Joe's. My goodness. Their 1 pound plus bitter sweet chocolate is divine, AND it costs less than $5. The caveat is of course that one has to have live near one, or be very good friends with someone willing to shop and mail, since they don't do internet shipping of any sort.

I love Candinas, right here in Verona, WI. They've been ranked near the top recently in Consumer Reports for quality versus price.

Candinas Chocolatier

The shop itself is very minimal, just a register with a case of a few boxes of each size. If you time it right (and I don't know what the schedule is) you can get a warm sample of something that was just created. Wow is that ever good!

mad_evo99 said:
I love Candinas, right here in Verona, WI. They've been ranked near the top recently in Consumer Reports for quality versus price.

Candinas Chocolatier

The shop itself is very minimal, just a register with a case of a few boxes of each size. If you time it right (and I don't know what the schedule is) you can get a warm sample of something that was just created. Wow is that ever good!
I would believe you over consumer reports, unfortunatly I have found consumer reports to be very biased about alot of items. While I enjoy their magazines I take everything they say and rate with a grain of salt. Unfortunately even though they advertise they don't I feel they are influenced by the products manufacturers or societal opinion instead of being open minded and objective.

Im interested how does candinas compare to other confectioniers in your opinion. Their new to me, Im familiar with Godiva, Leonidas, See's, Lindt, Ferrero and Ethel M among others. I am a definate chocolate purest and I think Trader joes has the best price for the quality they sell. I wonder who is their supplier

smilesalot2u :)

There are four basic food groups: milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, and chocolate truffles. so eat a square meal a day

Green & Blacks is my new favorite chocolate! I ship it back to the US in care packages for friends and they looooove it!

Back
Top Bottom