"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 01-05-2007, 05:26 AM   #61
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonr
...For the snobs out there who don't acknowledge milk chocolate, I would point out that milk chocolate outsells dark in virtually every country (including Europe) with the exception of France.
Am I automatically a "snob" because I don't like milk chocolate?? I do acknowledge its presence in the world (and permit it), however, if that helps offset my snobbery any!

The fact that milk outsells dark even in a ... country ... like Europe proves what, exactly? That popularity equates with superiority?

Meanwhile, to answer the question asked: love Valhrona, don't exactly suffer through Lindt, think several Greek chocolates are excellent, and don't mind Carrefour's house brand either.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:06 PM   #62
Senior Cook

Haha....I'm not the biggest milk chocolate fan either. There is so much flavor in fine dark chocolate that I just can't go back! lol...but it's true...there are a few good milk chocolates but they still don't compare to dark chocolate in my opinion. Dark chocolate is getting more and more popular and I have converted a few in my family as well haha.

Have a good one,
Robert
Chocolate Guild :: learn about chocolate, talk about chocolate

Old 01-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #63
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
For "fondente" fans, have you guys ever tried the real Italian style hot chocolate? It makes the "chocolate flavoured hot milk" which is usually known as "hot chocolate" in other countries look like a joke... You actually melt a block of very good quality fondente chocolate (semi-sweet), some additional pure cocoa powder again good quality, blend it in with hot milk and whipping cream, it is really dense and rich, I am sure it is any chocolate lover's dream. Cris is really good at making them, if anyone is interested I will ask him for an exact recipe!
Old 01-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #64
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
For "fondente" fans, have you guys ever tried the real Italian style hot chocolate? It makes the "chocolate flavoured hot milk" which is usually known as "hot chocolate" in other countries look like a joke... You actually melt a block of very good quality fondente chocolate (semi-sweet), some additional pure cocoa powder again good quality, blend it in with hot milk and whipping cream, it is really dense and rich, I am sure it is any chocolate lover's dream. Cris is really good at making them, if anyone is interested I will ask him for an exact recipe!
Forget the recipe. Send me a sample!
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #65
Executive Chef

Here ya go, Ken!!

Here you can see how thick and rich it is... now prepare some whipped cream and pile it on, then ENJOY!!
Old 01-05-2007, 07:21 PM   #66
Senior Cook

I really like Callebaut, especially the 60% bittersweet and white chocolate.
Sararwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:23 AM   #67
Senior Cook

Look pretty much like a Ganache! lol...must not be for people trying to diet lol....but yeah that kind of hot chocolate or "drinking chocolate" is getting more and more popular...where you just melt chocolate into milk/dairy...its like a liquid ganache...a lot more fat but a lot more rich as well...that picture is tempting...they need to invent a way to send food over the internet...haha

Robert
Old 01-06-2007, 04:32 AM   #68
Executive Chef

Yeah, "liquid ganache" is a good description for it!! Although it is super rich, both tastewise and calorie wise, it doesn't take a pint to satisfy you, just a little will do the job... like espresso coffee, the Italians prefer "quality over quantity" when it comes to hot drink!!
Old 01-06-2007, 03:43 PM   #69
Senior Cook

Hey Sara,
Do you like Callebaut for just working with or as an eating chocolate as well? have you tried any of their single origins?

Robert
Old 01-11-2007, 11:41 PM   #70
Assistant Cook

Lindt chocolate has gotta be my favorite!

Tags
None