Where to buy bulk blocks of chocolate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

relephant

Assistant Cook
Hi

Where can I buy bulk blocks of chocolate at a descent price and quality...I usually use guittards or ghiradelli. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to buy from a local source that would carry it in stock consistently. I live in NE Ohio. I have found a few web sites that sell 10 lb bars, but would prefer not to order online.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Last edited:
Sysco requires a business license + a business credit application to purchase from them.

I'd try calling local bakeries and see if they can help source the chocolate from someone nearby.

we are lucky to have Restaurant Dept here, they sell 25 pounds bar, is it really 25? Maybe it is 5, gee, will hqave to check. But it is huge.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I do not have a business license, so sysco and restaurant depo are out. I only have one bakery in my county and it is a donut shop. They were of no help.

I like to buy local as much as possible, but in this case, I will be ordering online. Has anyone ordered from Gygi.com

Hi, the last time I looked, I didn't see cocoa trees growing in NE Ohio. So what is your rationale for buying "local". other than price or the cost of shipping. It's all the same perhaps. But who knew that chocolate is sold in blocks and by the pound instead of ounces. Now, that part is sweeeeet !!

Last edited:
Cocoa beans are not grown here in NE Ohio, but the chocolate, could be produced or sold here by a local business. Either way it helps the local economy and businesses.

Have you tried look at the websites of companies like Valrona or Scharffen Berger?

Hi, the last time I looked, I didn't see cocoa trees growing in NE Ohio. So what is your rationale for buying "local". other than price or the cost of shipping. It's all the same perhaps. But who knew that chocolate is sold in blocks and by the pound instead of ounces. Now, that part is sweeeeet !!
One of the reasons we try to buy local when we can is to keep the tax dollars in our county. Often we have to go up to the nearest town to shop, so we are not only spending money (taxes) in another city and county, but in another state.

Last edited:
One of the reasons we try to buy local when we can is to keep the tax dollars in our county. Often we have to go up to the nearest town to shop, so we are not only spending money in another city and county, but in another state.

First I start with "Buy America". Then I go to "shop local". :angel:

Back
Top Bottom