"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 10-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Where to buy bulk butter?

Hey guys! I'm a 17 year old hopeful entrepreneur trying to start a a fudge business (there isn't really any active fudge forums out there). This project will be up on kickstarter pretty soon (Feel free to donate anything you can when it goes live :D), i'm planning to start by rolling out three of my favorite flavors: Original, Cranberry Seasalt, and Peanut Butter Swirl. I try to make my fudge from scratch as i find it gives it a better flavor, i use Cocoa powder, butter, vanilla extract, sugar, and a few other ingredients. I have found where to get cocoa powder in bulk (Cocoa Powder 25 pounds - Bulkfoods.com), Cranberries (Dried Cranberries - Bulkfoods.com), and some of the other ingredients from the same website, but i can't find Unsalted butter in bulk! Does anybody know where i can get it? The stores around me charge $3-$4 for a one pound box which would make my business unprofitable. Thanks guys!

(P.S. if you know of a cheaper place to get bulk items please let me know! Thanks!!)

Old 10-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You might want to check with a local bakery or food wholesaler.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Unfortunately I live in a small town with few big box stores, and no specific food wholesalers. We do have a BJ's and a Costco, and i heard Bj's puts butter on sale for $1.50/lb but that thread was several years ago and it seems almost too cheap. I called and the man i talked with said they don't know until it actually goes on sale, anybody know if they still sell it at this price on sale?
Old 10-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I can't think of who would ship cheap butter since it has to be have temperature controls. Costco is about the cheapest place I know of and that includes the local restaurant supply warehouses. The price of butter fluctuates. What might be cheap today, could be spendy tomorrow even at Costco. That's probably why many fabulous recipes start out with yummy ingredients, like butter and gradually slide into the fake stuff. If you are serious about the project, you might have to invest in a freezer, a huge one, and freeze expensive ingredients when the price is low. Best of luck to you.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I pay about $2 a pound for unsalted butter at Bj's, I think the last time I bought it, I paid $1.90 per pound.

I paid the same when I was in Maine at Sam's club for my wedding cake.

I think that is about the best price that you will find for quality butter if you don't have access to a wholesaler.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldfoods View Post
Unfortunately I live in a small town with few big box stores, and no specific food wholesalers. We do have a BJ's and a Costco, and i heard Bj's puts butter on sale for $1.50/lb but that thread was several years ago and it seems almost too cheap. I called and the man i talked with said they don't know until it actually goes on sale, anybody know if they still sell it at this price on sale?
If you decide to buy it from a box store, keep checking their site a couple of times a week to see if butter is going on sale. Just make sure you have the facilities to store it.

Good luck on your new adventure.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
Wine Guy

Why not go right to the source? I would look for a creamery. Just a quick Google of "Virginia creamery butter" turned up several results.

Here's one that supplies restaurants throughout the mid-Atlantic:
Trickling Springs Creamery: Farm Fresh Butter

Tags
butter