Where to buy bulk butter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waldfoods

Assistant Cook
Hey guys! I'm a 17 year old hopeful entrepreneur trying to start a a fudge business (there isn't really any active fudge forums out there). This project will be up on kickstarter pretty soon (Feel free to donate anything you can when it goes live :D), i'm planning to start by rolling out three of my favorite flavors: Original, Cranberry Seasalt, and Peanut Butter Swirl. I try to make my fudge from scratch as i find it gives it a better flavor, i use Cocoa powder, butter, vanilla extract, sugar, and a few other ingredients. I have found where to get cocoa powder in bulk (Cocoa Powder 25 pounds - Bulkfoods.com), Cranberries (Dried Cranberries - Bulkfoods.com), and some of the other ingredients from the same website, but i can't find Unsalted butter in bulk! Does anybody know where i can get it? The stores around me charge $3-$4 for a one pound box which would make my business unprofitable. Thanks guys!

(P.S. if you know of a cheaper place to get bulk items please let me know! Thanks!!)

Unfortunately I live in a small town with few big box stores, and no specific food wholesalers. We do have a BJ's and a Costco, and i heard Bj's puts butter on sale for $1.50/lb but that thread was several years ago and it seems almost too cheap. I called and the man i talked with said they don't know until it actually goes on sale, anybody know if they still sell it at this price on sale?

I can't think of who would ship cheap butter since it has to be have temperature controls. Costco is about the cheapest place I know of and that includes the local restaurant supply warehouses. The price of butter fluctuates. What might be cheap today, could be spendy tomorrow even at Costco. That's probably why many fabulous recipes start out with yummy ingredients, like butter and gradually slide into the fake stuff. If you are serious about the project, you might have to invest in a freezer, a huge one, and freeze expensive ingredients when the price is low. Best of luck to you.

I pay about $2 a pound for unsalted butter at Bj's, I think the last time I bought it, I paid $1.90 per pound.

I paid the same when I was in Maine at Sam's club for my wedding cake.

I think that is about the best price that you will find for quality butter if you don't have access to a wholesaler.

Unfortunately I live in a small town with few big box stores, and no specific food wholesalers. We do have a BJ's and a Costco, and i heard Bj's puts butter on sale for $1.50/lb but that thread was several years ago and it seems almost too cheap. I called and the man i talked with said they don't know until it actually goes on sale, anybody know if they still sell it at this price on sale?

If you decide to buy it from a box store, keep checking their site a couple of times a week to see if butter is going on sale. Just make sure you have the facilities to store it.

Good luck on your new adventure. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom