Why Would This Happen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:)I want to try to make these treats that Williams Sonoma sells at xmas time its nothing but semiweet pepper mint chocolate and what seems to be crushed chocolate wafer cookies the kind that are round.So I have not because Im also worried my chocolate will seize and good chocolate is not cheap.Heres what is in my peppermint extract (90%)alcohol ,water,oil of peppermint and oil of spearmint.I will hafto temper chocolate but Im worried the extract will make it seize up.Has anyone had these? They are addicting.

Last edited:
jp ~ I think you are fine with that high of alcohol content and the two oils. Take some cheap chocolate, melt and add a drop if you are concerned. The recipe I posted from McCormicks uses Peppermint extract in the same manner as the orange and the same manner as your recipe. It seems to be an acceptable use for Peppermint extract.

This may be too obvious, but why not contact the people who made the raspberry extract (assumed it was McCormick) and ask them how to remedy your situation.
I did but it's 5 business days before they get back to you and Monday - Wednesday next week aren't considered business days. I didn't know about the seizing, that was interesting to learn.

The reaction was wild, now that I can step back, I've never seen anything do something like that.

:)All I know is when chocolate seizes there is no way to save it.
Yeah, severely broken one bowl and a huge mess later, I learned that quick. I tried to double boiler it and there was no saving it. The pieces that were left on the counter (I admit I didn't clean it out of depression last night) today are harder than rocks.

I would check a chocolate site like nestles, etc..they probably have lots of answers or recipes on how to do what you want.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom