"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 12-19-2007, 09:58 AM   #11
Executive Chef

So Sage is on to something:
Orange extract Ingredients
ALCOHOL (79%), WATER, AND OIL OF ORANGE.

Raspberry extract Ingredients
WATER, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, ALCOHOL (20%), EXTRACTIVES OF RASPBERRY, CITRIC ACID, FD&C RED 40, AND NATURAL FLAVOR.

Between the water, the lower alcohol content, the citric acid, no wonder the chocolate turned to gum. The raspberry syrup idea is sounding better and better.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:18 AM   #12
Master Chef

See I told you look at the ingredients.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:35 AM   #13
Head Chef

Water, even a little bit, will cause chocolate when heated to seize.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:36 AM   #14
Senior Cook

lol..I just know your not suppose to get water in melted chocolate..seizes it up..I know there's a lot of oil in orange skins and raspberries probably have no oil in them, so it would have to be water based..the syrup might not work either.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:19 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot View Post
Water, even a little bit, will cause chocolate when heated to seize.
Well, let me tell you, there was no recovering from what happened, then to have my bowl break, just heartbreaking.

Charlie ~ I swear last night when I read that I thought you meant the ingredients of the chocolate and the extract, not the list of ingredients on the bottle of extract. My head was spinning last night.

Sage ~ I was thinking with the syrup, it would have a sugar base, not water. It might be cost prohibitive though and who knows if Wally World even carries raspberry syrup. I got spoiled when I lived near Knott's Berry Farm and could just go there for syrup and jellies.

Now the question comes down to what if I added the extract before melting, would it seize then??

ETA ~ here are the ingredients in Raspberry syrup:
Ingredients
HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORN SYRUP, WATER, RED RASPBERRY PUREE , NATURAL FLAVORS, CITRIC ACID, PECTIN, XANTHAN GUM (THICKENER).
Old 12-19-2007, 12:32 PM   #16
Master Chef

There has to be a way to add raspberry flavor to chocolate since you see it sold in stores. Maybe there is a raspberry liqueur that would work since it would have a lower water content and higher alcohol content. Or maybe try raspberry preserves.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:42 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
There has to be a way to add raspberry flavor to chocolate since you see it sold in stores. Maybe there is a raspberry liqueur that would work since it would have a lower water content and higher alcohol content. Or maybe try raspberry preserves.
That's why I was thinking syrup. I can't use Chamborgh because, well, I'm giving it to kids and I don't need mothers killing me for giving their kids booze.

What's interesting is it says you can add food coloring to the white chocolate in this recipe McCormick Recipes - Double Peppermint Bark - Dessert but these are the ingredients in food coloring.

Ingredients
WATER, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, FD&C REDS 40 AND 3, AND 0.1% PROPYLPARABEN (PRESERVATIVE).

What is up with that?
Old 12-19-2007, 12:47 PM   #18
Master Chef

Wouldn't part of the alcohol evaporate with the heat of the chocolate and natural evaporation during cooling? Maybe not enough though. Give the kids the orange and save the raspberry for the grownups!
Old 12-19-2007, 12:56 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Wouldn't part of the alcohol evaporate with the heat of the chocolate and natural evaporation during cooling? Maybe not enough though. Give the kids the orange and save the raspberry for the grownups!
There's no cooking. You heat the chocolate, add the extract, chill. I don't think the 1 minute in the microwave even if you added the liquor before would burn off 80 proof alcohol.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:05 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Well, let me tell you, there was no recovering from what happened, then to have my bowl break, just heartbreaking.

Charlie ~ I swear last night when I read that I thought you meant the ingredients of the chocolate and the extract, not the list of ingredients on the bottle of extract. My head was spinning last night.
Sorry, my foult I should have been more specifik. I meant to compare orange and rasbery extracts.

Tags
None