"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 12-18-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Why Would This Happen

I had a recipe for orange chocolate bark (1 pkg white choc chips, 1 cup semi-sweet choc chips, 1 tsp orange extract). I did it last night and it was great. Tonight I tried it again substituting raspberry extract and when I poured it into the white chocolate it turned it into a gummy pastey glob. I tried heating it to the point it broke my glass bowl. Why did the raspberry extract effect the white chocolate so differently than the orange? Anyone know? I originally thought I read you could substitute but I guess I was really wrong. Now I'm out the money for the white choc chips and the bowl (one of my faves). Any thoughts?

Old 12-18-2007, 07:25 PM   #2
Master Chef

Check the ingredients. That might be the key.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:27 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Actually it was more of a chemical type reaction. The white choc was smooth and when I put in the raspberry extract it immediately turned to a gummy weird consistency. Wondering if one of our resident scientists know.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Did the chocolate get tooo hot?
Old 12-18-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
Executive Chef

The chocolate was smooth and creamy and then I added the raspberry. I don't think it was too hot, it was smooth and creamy. I added the extract and it immediately went gummy. Basically I did nothing different other than change raspberry for orange extract. I did notice there isnt an indication that you can substitute raspberry on this particular recipe like there is on others.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:10 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I don't know the answer - but it got me really curious.... according to this website Red Raspberry:Bramble, Gauriphal, Reapberry, and Hindberry.Red Raspberry Extract.Rubus idaeus extract,CAS.NO.084929-76-0.Red Raspberry leaf extract.Raspberry leaf Extract.Wild Raspberry.soothing and relaxing to inflamed skin.natural antibiotic.Narrat one cup of red raspberries per day prevents cancer cells from developing....
Old 12-18-2007, 10:48 PM   #7
Master Chef

Maybe it was when it was added. Perhaps if the raspberry was added more toward the beginning of the process and heated up along with chocolate while melting you wouldn't get the same reaction. Might be worth a try with a small batch. Hopefully someone better qualified than me will answer. I know that in some things the order of addition is important to maintain consistency so that may be part of the problem.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:13 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I think maybe raspberry has more water in it and maybe orange is more oily
Old 12-19-2007, 08:20 AM   #9
Master Chef

Sage has a good idea. Maybe adding the raspberry to to a small amount of butter or light oil (Maybe coconut oil for another layer of flavor) first then adding it will take care of the problem.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:38 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Sage has a good idea. Maybe adding the raspberry to to a small amount of butter or light oil (Maybe coconut oil for another layer of flavor) first then adding it will take care of the problem.
I'm thinking that may be the issue. I don't think it was the timing, it was definitely the consistency of water and the orange was more oily. I guess it's just a thought I'll have to pass on. Maybe raspberry syrup would work instead.

Tags
None