"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 12-07-2007, 05:40 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Well for 20 - 25 lbs of caramel we used to just pour until it "felt right". This is where you are going to get annoyed with me. SORRY!!!!
Caramel is trial and error. If you are not bringing it to a rolling boil, which I wouldn't do, I'd say a 1/4 cup maybe? You won't use the whole can. We used maybe 1 1/2 cans for a large batch.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:24 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Update:

I added a teaspoon at a time (twice) and it looked like the consistancy I would need. It's a little thicker than what you would find on a normal caramel apple though.

I think I got it right, except one small detail. They got runny if I didn't cool em off quick. What I started doing was dropping em on small sheets of foil (between 5 and 10 to a sheet), and then transferring them to a cookie sheet I had in my fridge. The first batch (that I had sitting out while I did the second batch) ran all over, the batches I put in the fridge soon enough seemed to hold up ok.

Though I'm probably going to want to get a roll of waxed paper before I try this again. Sticky sticky... even on parchment.

Edit:

That's a definate YES on the wax paper... all the ones I had on foil are stuck hard.

Another thing, it seems there's juice coming out of my mini-apples (took a melon baller to a couple apples) which makes the coating unstable. Basically, the caramel will come off given the slightest excuse. Think it's fixable, just have to use wax paper and chill them down good and pull em off with a spatula rather than using the toothpick.

Other than that, I'm learning.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I apologize if I sounded cranky / defensive earlier. Had just gotten off the phone with my 3 degree having mother. I was supposed to have a career. I don't. And I don't care...

MOVING ON

I don't know where you are but climate / weather has alot to do with how things set up. Even bread in the summer is different in winter.
The Brachs' caramels were AWESOME for melting, I find them at Menards' (think Home Depot) in bags if at all. I never tried the Werthers, except to eat too much!!

This is too funny, 2 threads in 1 day, helping 2 different people thru caramel. I really want SOMEBODY to have sucess, or I look like an idiot. Check out this thread.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...-new-post.html
Old 12-07-2007, 07:01 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Oops I forgot you are working with apples w/o skins, the juice would add a factor that I am not familiar with...

I wonder if you boiled the teeny apple pieces a bit first? But that may make them mushy.

Shutting up now.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:26 PM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Its been a few years that I have dipped pretzel rods, the only luck I have is to go to a Baking supply store and BUY their soft caramel ! Hoping I will learn something here - Lets us all know how it turned out, VaporTrial - sure would appreciate it !

Tags
None