"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Frozen Desserts & Ice Creams

Old 07-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #11
Senior Cook

We are looking for a new ice cream maker, too, and might get the Donvier, described above.

We had something similar for 15 years until a plastic part finally broke. Sure got our money's worth. Think it's called the Supremer Ice Creamer.

Andy M - your post clarifying all the different types is just great, really helpful.

We also have an oldish electric one - Waring Ice Cream Parlor made in 1972 - where you need salt and ice and so on & so forth. You plug it in and it turns and makes ice cream. Bad point: it sounds like a Boeing 747 taking off. You have to leave the house or put it outside. As you said!

Old 07-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizymae View Post
We are looking for a new ice cream maker, too, and might get the Donvier, described above.

We had something similar for 15 years until a plastic part finally broke. Sure got our money's worth. Think it's called the Supremer Ice Creamer.

Andy M - your post clarifying all the different types is just great, really helpful.

We also have an oldish electric one - Waring Ice Cream Parlor made in 1972 - where you need salt and ice and so on & so forth. You plug it in and it turns and makes ice cream. Bad point: it sounds like a Boeing 747 taking off. You have to leave the house or put it outside. As you said!

I prefer the freezable bowl to the salt and ice type. The freezable bowl is cleaner and less messy to use but it has to be frozen overnight, which requires planning.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
I had one of those back in the day, and literally used it up. Can't believe there is still one running!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
The fourth choice is the Donvier type that is a manually operated with a freezeable bowl. I have a couple of these in two sizes, and they are quick to operate. The bowls reside in my beer refrigerator freezer compartment. This is a kid friendly device that even youngest kitchen helper can use from start to finish with supervision.
I also have one of these manual Donviers & it's still cranking out terrific ice cream, sorbet, sherbet, frozen yogurt, etc., etc., after around 15 years! Not much elbow grease needed - just a couple of cranks every few minutes for about 20 minutes or so. Cost us somewhere between $15 & $20 back then. Can't beat it for economy & quality end product.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I have a Stone Mountain ice cream maker that was passes down to us from my husband's dad. It was used so much that the motor burned out and he replaced it with a drill motor. It's work to make the ice cream but oh my, it's worth it.
kitchengoddess1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I am curious as to how the electric ones work. The manual ones, you have to crank every few minutes and then at some point move to a different gear. At least this is how the Supremer worked. Do the electric ones run continually or what?
Old 07-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
I am curious as to how the electric ones work. The manual ones, you have to crank every few minutes and then at some point move to a different gear. At least this is how the Supremer worked. Do the electric ones run continually or what?
That's right. The electric ones turn/churn continuously. It takes about 20-25 minutes to make a batch.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:31 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I am not sure whether to get a manual or an electric one, now. It is a matter of trying to find a whole bunch of reviews, I guess, then making up my mind!
Old 07-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

I chose the electric for the ease and speed with which it made ice cream. I did not want the mess of ice and salt and certainly did not want to have to hand crank. I could be doing other things while the electric motor did all the work.

Either type will make good ice cream.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
With the manual Donvier, you put the removable freezer container in your freezer (if I have the room, I pretty much keep it in their all the time). Then you add your ingredients & turn the handle just 2 or 3 times every 3 minutes for 15-20 minutes. That's it. Always comes out great.

Tags
None