"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Frozen Desserts & Ice Creams

Old 07-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Can anyone recommend a good ice cream maker?

Hello!

I am looking for an ice cream maker that would work great, serve the purpose I need, and not cost hundreds of dollars. I am looking for just a good machine that can make ice cream if you add the ingredients in. I searched online and I found a lot of them that are either 200 dollars or 30 dollars and some of them have specifications that tell me I am required to put part of it in the freezer or something? I'd like to avoid that if possible but I am no master chef so I really am not sure if that's just a requirement.
I appreciate you reading this and I would be grateful if anyone has an idea

Anyway, thank you all for reading this and have yourselves a pleasant tomorrow!

Old 07-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

We had one by this company years ago and it worked very well.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

You basically have three options:

1. The old fashioned kind that requires you to use ice and salt to chill the mix as you crank it using an electric motor or elbow grease. Look for the White Mountain brand. These do a good job and are inexpensive but very messy. You really should use them only outdoors.

2. Electric ice cream makers that have their own built in refrigeration so you don't need ice or have to put the bowl in the freezer overnight. Very expensive but not messy and fast.

3. Electric ones that have a bowl which requires overnight in the freezer to solidly freeze an internal gel. Inexpensive and no mess. Make ice cream on the kitchen counter. Available for around $50. Check out Cuisinart and Braun.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You basically have three options:

1. The old fashioned kind that requires you to use ice and salt to chill the mix as you crank it using an electric motor or elbow grease. Look for the White Mountain brand. These do a good job and are inexpensive but very messy. You really should use them only outdoors.

2. Electric ice cream makers that have their own built in refrigeration so you don't need ice or have to put the bowl in the freezer overnight. Very expensive but not messy and fast.

3. Electric ones that have a bowl which requires overnight in the freezer to solidly freeze an internal gel. Inexpensive and no mess. Make ice cream on the kitchen counter. Available for around $50. Check out Cuisinart and Braun.
The fourth choice is the Donvier type that is a manually operated with a freezeable bowl. I have a couple of these in two sizes, and they are quick to operate. The bowls reside in my beer refrigerator freezer compartment. This is a kid friendly device that even youngest kitchen helper can use from start to finish with supervision.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

OOOPs, missed one, BigJim. I guess I should have read GB's link before posting.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
Head Chef

We had one of those, but I think we lost a part somewhere along the way. Very easy to use, one just turns the crank every now and then. We have one now that we bought at that big blue discount store... anyways, very noisy electric, but did it on the counter inside, it worked great, inexpensive. We bought the rock salt there, too, and didn't care for the rocks in the salt (if that makes sense), so would like to try some other kind of salt. What would i use?
I've heard several folks mention a cuisinart... ??

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
Head Chef

this is the one i have and love it, you do have to freeze the bowl but i keep mine in the freezer at all times so when i feel like making some it is alreadyCuisinart ICE-20 Automatic Frozen Yogurt, Ice Cream and Sorbet Maker#
Old 07-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

You can use any kind of salt, including table salt.

The Cuisinart makes about a quart and a half of ice cream (from 4 cups of base). It takes about 20-30 minutes of churning to get the job done. No hand cranking involved.

Amazon.com: Cuisinart 1-1/2-Quart Automatic Ice Cream Makers: Kitchen & Dining
Old 07-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
Cook

My wife wants a 2 Quart maker and I'm trying to decide if 2 is better than 1 1/2 just cause? Or you can make two quarts and "freeze the left-overs". Honey, do you know what a container of "bear tracks" cost? Any input for the cause either way will be greatly appreciated. You know, "man, I wish I had that 2qt instead of my one and a half...."
Thanks
Old 07-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

If you need larger quantities to feed more than a few people, a larger ic maker may be the way to go. On the other hand, you can buy multiple bowls for the 1 1/2 quart Cuisinart and the others so you can make several different flavors rather than just one.

Tags
None