Can you freeze cheesecake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
I've never had to worry about freezing a cheesecake...somehow it always disappears within a day...:ermm:
but, I bought one 2 days ago and it's so huge that we've only gone through half of it. Can it be frozen? If so, what's the best method?
Thanks!:chef:

I say give it a go. What have you got to lose? Otherwise you will just end up throwing it out. The only part I would think might get a bit funky would be any topping. Otherwise I think if you wrap it well the cheesecake will be fine.

I see store bought cheesecakes in the freezer all the time at the grocery store, so I don't know why you could not freeze your cheesecake. I agree with Alix the topping might get a little weird, but the rest of the cheesecake should be fine. As far as the storage method it might be best to wrap it well in plastic wrap and place in a large freezer bag. Good luck and let us know how it works out. :)

I agree with sierracook. If you haven't frozen it yet if it is not already cut into serving size pieces and put foil between the slices or wrap them individually so you can thaw just one if you want to.

I would suggest using wax paper instead of foil, foil will cause freezer burn on the delicate cake faster.

Sam's Club sells them frozen with parchment paper between the slices. Waxed would probably work fine.

Thanks all! It's in the freezer in single portion slices (or at least single sized for most normal people, tiny for me) and fortunately it was one without any toppings. I'll take out a slice in a week or two and let you know how it went.

I bet it will work.

But because you see things frozen in the supermarket doesn't mean that they always freeze well at home. Commercial frozen food is often "flash frozen," something you can't do at home. Well, I can't, at least.

That said, I freeze just about everything useful that I would ordinarily have to throw away.

At my job, we get frozen cheesecake all the time. It's wrapped in plastic, that we have to remove before thawing. If it's already sliced (which is usually is), there is waxed paper or parchemtn between the slices.

jennyema is right, though. Commercially-made cheesecake is flash-frozen in a blast freezer at -50°F or colder.

Cheesecake is my mother's absolutely favorite 'food group' so I have sent to her, every mother's day, a cheesecake sampler and my sis slices them for her and freezes. It really does work great.

My boss gets us a frozen cheesecake every Christmas season and the individual slices are separated with parchment paper. It seems to freeze just fine.

BC

I made 30 Cheesecakes for my Cousins wedding and froze every last one of them. I think you'll be just fine.. I used Pre-Cut Parchment and I ordered some pastry boxes just for the 9 inch Cheesecakes..

Seemed to work just fine.. Now to find a freezer for 30 cheesecakes.. :)

jkath said:
I've never had to worry about freezing a cheesecake...somehow it always disappears within a day...:ermm:
but, I bought one 2 days ago and it's so huge that we've only gone through half of it. Can it be frozen? If so, what's the best method?
Thanks!:chef:
I don't see why not i see them in the store all of the time

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom