Frozen Meals from the Supermarket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana Brain

Sous Chef
What is your opinion on frozen pre-cooked meals that can be bought at the grocery store? Do you think any are good?

I've tried some from time to time in the past. I haven't bought much in recent times. Some are quite good and others are not. Also, it's a matter of personal peference.

I think they are OK, given what they are and what's in them. They certainly are convenient, but eat too many in a row and they all begin to taste the same, no matter what brand.

I dont eat them too often, but my daughter likes them. I tend to think they have too many preservatives, salt, sugar, etc, so I'd rather just make homemade food and add seasonings. But, in a pinch, frozen meals are ok.

I've tried all kinds, back when I was working, and I say this with an open mind...I don't like them. Some are more edible than others...the Stouffer's things are probably the best I've had, but they sure are expensive. We don't get Boston Market here.
I do like frozen eggrolls, mozzerella sticks, jalapeno poppers, ravioli, noodles and meatballs. Even some breaded fish fillets (made with whole fish) aren't bad for sandwiches.
There's just a certain "taste" to the already prepared meals.

Constance said:
I've tried all kinds, back when I was working, and I say this with an open mind...I don't like them. Some are more edible than others...the Stouffer's things are probably the best I've had, but they sure are expensive. We don't get Boston Market here.
I do like frozen eggrolls, mozzerella sticks, jalapeno poppers, ravioli, noodles and meatballs. Even some breaded fish fillets (made with whole fish) aren't bad for sandwiches.
There's just a certain "taste" to the already prepared meals.

Constance - I agree with you that these frozen meals are same/same after awhile of eating them. I do like the stuffed peppers, and the lasanga (5 cheese), but only once in a while, and only because I'm to late/tired to make my own... good stuff when on sale :)

Haggis said:
Never eaten then, and hopefully never will.

You've never eaten a frozen dinner? What do you have to eat when your on the run and pressed for time then?

You've never eaten a frozen dinner? What do you have to eat when your on the run and pressed for time then?
A quick pasta or noodle dish which I can prepare the sauce (maybe some lemon juice, garlic, chilli and anchovies for pasta, and for the noodles a combination of some soy, hoisin, chilli and garlic sauce and rice vinegar) while the pasta or noodles are cooking (boil water in a kettle, have the pan preheated so getting the pasta/noodles into boiling water is extremely quick).

If I'm really pressed for time and can't spare the maximum of 10 minutes it would take to make the above I might make something such as; tuna melt, ham and cheese toasted sandwich, bacon and egg sandwich, eggs on toast etc.

All the above are far superior to a commerically made frozen meal because:
a) I know what's in them,
b) they are made fresh,
c) I get to indulge my love of cooking and finally,
d) much more satisfying eating something you have made yourself.

Someone mentioned the Stouffer’s beef-stuffed peppers? I thought those were OK-ish (for frozen meal standards) but they seemed more like a side-dish than a meal... the only frozen meals I've had and really liked (and I've had a TON) were:
1- Stouffer's Corner Bistro meal called "Seafood Scampi" (it was really good, tasted like take-out from a classy local place)
2-Lean Cuisine Macaroni and Cheese (although I'm not one to judge what good Mac and Cheese is, because I'd never had any that didn't come out of a blue box before then)
3- The Philly Cheese steak from The Original Philadelphia Cheese steak Co. (Such good meat and bread, mmmm, pretty good American cheese too)

Meals that I almost liked:
1- Stouffer's Corner Bistro meal called "Chicken Carbona" (it was just that same pasta that was used, it was so much better than a typical frozen meal, with a well-seasoned chicken breast too)
2- White Castle Cheeseburgers
3-Lean Cuisine Chicken Mediterranean (their spaghetti usual sucks, but it was good in whole-wheat form and not drowning in freaking sauce)
4-Corner Bistro Italian Panini (even though I know in my head that I could grill just as good or better a panini in the amount of time it takes for this to defrost, I like to be extra lazy and let the microwave be my chef for no reason)

I don't really like frozen meals though. I've just started buying them for the same reasons as everyone else, because of lack of time. I'm just glad I have enough money now that I don't have to have either Raman or cereal from a bag now (I'll admit I prefer the frozen meal to either of those options).

Last edited:
I've been so busy lately that I just bought three Hormel Dinty Moore "Preservative Free" dinners, NOT FROZEN! We have a microwave at work and I was dying for a hot meal between the long hours (12), as a result I bought them: A Chicken & Rice (which I haven't had yet), a Roast Beef and mashed potatoes, (which I have had), and a Swiss Steak and sliced potatoes, (which I have had).
I bought them because my eye caught the Dinty Moore recipe label which included the no preservative label.
The Swiss Steak and the Roast Beef dinners were actually pretty good when I added salt and pepper and some garlic. The meat was good and the potatoes were done and tasted good. I don't have any complaints except I could have eaten two of them to get my fill.
I will say they were pretty good, especially if you have to have something like this to eat.
You know Dinty Moore canned foods are pretty high rated products, that is why I tried the dinners to see what emergency foods I keep at work. (The only thing I needed was some of my home bread to go with them to slop up the sauce.)

Attachments

• 119771418757 half.jpg
    119771418757 half.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 119771384581 half.jpg
    119771384581 half.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 86
for many people they are the way to go...quick easy etc. I prefer to cook. I can whip a ballanced meal up in 15 min, less time than it takes one of those frozen delights to cook. I also cook on weekends and make my own "freezer selections". But not everybody is me, so if it works for you great. If it's what you're serving and you invite me over, no complaints..thanks for the invite and the meal. seriously!

Pete said:
I've been so busy lately that I just bought three Hormel Dinty Moore "Preservative Free" dinners, NOT FROZEN! We have a microwave at work and I was dying for a hot meal between the long hours (12), as a result I bought them: A Chicken & Rice (which I haven't had yet), a Roast Beef and mashed potatoes, (which I have had), and a Swiss Steak and sliced potatoes, (which I have had).
I bought them because my eye caught the Dinty Moore recipe label which included the no preservative label.
The Swiss Steak and the Roast Beef dinners were actually pretty good when I added salt and pepper and some garlic. The meat was good and the potatoes were done and tasted good. I don't have any complaints except I could have eaten two of them to get my fill.
I will say they were pretty good, especially if you have to have something like this to eat.
You know Dinty Moore canned foods are pretty high rated products, that is why I tried the dinners to see what emergency foods I keep at work. (The only thing I needed was some of my home bread to go with them to slop up the sauce.)
I can't stand the flavor of the rice in that meal. Too... packaged. Couldn't pass for being fresh by a long shot. The texture too. Maybe thats just me though.

Robo410 said:
for many people they are the way to go...quick easy etc. I prefer to cook. I can whip a ballanced meal up in 15 min, less time than it takes one of those frozen delights to cook. I also cook on weekends and make my own "freezer selections". But not everybody is me, so if it works for you great. If it's what you're serving and you invite me over, no complaints..thanks for the invite and the meal. seriously!
You could whip up one of these meals in 15 or less?
http://www.stouffers.com/Products/Search.aspx?SubBrandID=402

And most frozen meals don't take 15 whole minutes to microwave (but some do, like those ones). I guess its only worth eating really if its something complicated like a seasoned full meal of meat, vegitables, and starch meal that I couldn't cook in 15 or less. I like the idea of making your own "freezer selections" on the weekends, I think I might just try that today for this week at work. Thanks for the idea!

Back
Top Bottom