"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Frozen Desserts & Ice Creams

Old 04-29-2006, 12:52 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Frozen Meals from the Supermarket

What is your opinion on frozen pre-cooked meals that can be bought at the grocery store? Do you think any are good?

Old 04-29-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I've tried some from time to time in the past. I haven't bought much in recent times. Some are quite good and others are not. Also, it's a matter of personal peference.

Old 04-29-2006, 03:15 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I think they are OK, given what they are and what's in them. They certainly are convenient, but eat too many in a row and they all begin to taste the same, no matter what brand.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:58 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I dont eat them too often, but my daughter likes them. I tend to think they have too many preservatives, salt, sugar, etc, so I'd rather just make homemade food and add seasonings. But, in a pinch, frozen meals are ok.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:43 PM   #5
Master Chef

I've tried all kinds, back when I was working, and I say this with an open mind...I don't like them. Some are more edible than others...the Stouffer's things are probably the best I've had, but they sure are expensive. We don't get Boston Market here.
I do like frozen eggrolls, mozzerella sticks, jalapeno poppers, ravioli, noodles and meatballs. Even some breaded fish fillets (made with whole fish) aren't bad for sandwiches.
There's just a certain "taste" to the already prepared meals.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:50 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Never eaten then, and hopefully never will.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:53 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I've tried all kinds, back when I was working, and I say this with an open mind...I don't like them. Some are more edible than others...the Stouffer's things are probably the best I've had, but they sure are expensive. We don't get Boston Market here.
I do like frozen eggrolls, mozzerella sticks, jalapeno poppers, ravioli, noodles and meatballs. Even some breaded fish fillets (made with whole fish) aren't bad for sandwiches.
There's just a certain "taste" to the already prepared meals.
Constance - I agree with you that these frozen meals are same/same after awhile of eating them. I do like the stuffed peppers, and the lasanga (5 cheese), but only once in a while, and only because I'm to late/tired to make my own... good stuff when on sale :-)
Old 04-29-2006, 07:08 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis
Never eaten then, and hopefully never will.
You've never eaten a frozen dinner? What do you have to eat when your on the run and pressed for time then?
Old 04-29-2006, 08:10 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
You've never eaten a frozen dinner? What do you have to eat when your on the run and pressed for time then?
A quick pasta or noodle dish which I can prepare the sauce (maybe some lemon juice, garlic, chilli and anchovies for pasta, and for the noodles a combination of some soy, hoisin, chilli and garlic sauce and rice vinegar) while the pasta or noodles are cooking (boil water in a kettle, have the pan preheated so getting the pasta/noodles into boiling water is extremely quick).

If I'm really pressed for time and can't spare the maximum of 10 minutes it would take to make the above I might make something such as; tuna melt, ham and cheese toasted sandwich, bacon and egg sandwich, eggs on toast etc.

All the above are far superior to a commerically made frozen meal because:
a) I know what's in them,
b) they are made fresh,
c) I get to indulge my love of cooking and finally,
d) much more satisfying eating something you have made yourself.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:37 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Someone mentioned the Stouffer’s beef-stuffed peppers? I thought those were OK-ish (for frozen meal standards) but they seemed more like a side-dish than a meal... the only frozen meals I've had and really liked (and I've had a TON) were:
1- Stouffer's Corner Bistro meal called "Seafood Scampi" (it was really good, tasted like take-out from a classy local place)
2-Lean Cuisine Macaroni and Cheese (although I'm not one to judge what good Mac and Cheese is, because I'd never had any that didn't come out of a blue box before then)
3- The Philly Cheese steak from The Original Philadelphia Cheese steak Co. (Such good meat and bread, mmmm, pretty good American cheese too)

Meals that I almost liked:
1- Stouffer's Corner Bistro meal called "Chicken Carbona" (it was just that same pasta that was used, it was so much better than a typical frozen meal, with a well-seasoned chicken breast too)
2- White Castle Cheeseburgers
3-Lean Cuisine Chicken Mediterranean (their spaghetti usual sucks, but it was good in whole-wheat form and not drowning in freaking sauce)
4-Corner Bistro Italian Panini (even though I know in my head that I could grill just as good or better a panini in the amount of time it takes for this to defrost, I like to be extra lazy and let the microwave be my chef for no reason)

I don't really like frozen meals though. I've just started buying them for the same reasons as everyone else, because of lack of time. I'm just glad I have enough money now that I don't have to have either Raman or cereal from a bag now (I'll admit I prefer the frozen meal to either of those options).

Tags
None