Gelato Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strawberry

Cook
I looked around and didn't see any threads for gelato, and while I could put it in with ice cream it isn't really quite ice cream - at least American ice cream.

I've been on a bit of a gelato bent lately. I'm tired of all the guilt that comes with regular ice cream so I've been playing with my ice cream maker. I did some research and found some recipes on the net - there really aren't as many as I'd have thought. I made vanilla first and it came out okay - a bit ice crystally, but the flavor was very good. I don't know if I cooked it long enough.

The next one I tried was chocolate. It was awesome. Dark, rich, chocolatey and silky smooth. I played with the recipe on this one a bit after my experience with the vanilla.

After that I was hooked. I wanted to do a fruit one. I had some frozen blackberries in my freezer and went that route. It turned out very well. Probably the best of all of them.

The only downside is that I've got all these egg whites... guess I'll have to make an angel food cake. :angel:

Chocolate Gelato

2 cups whole milk
3 standard sized Hershey's special dark candy bars, broken up
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup half and half

Place milk in medium saucepan, medium heat. Bring to a simmer, immediately remove from heat. Add candy bars and stir gently until melted. Combine sugar and cornstarch, then stir in the half and half. Pour half and half mixture into the hot milk and chocolate. Stir to combine and return to heat. Cook, stirring often, until mixture thickens. About 10 minutes. Remove from heat, cool to room temp. Transfer into an air tight storage container and store in the fridge over night or until below 40 degrees F. When cool, process in your ice cream maker.

Makes about 1 quart.

Blackberry Gelato
1/2 package frozen blackberries, thawed and strained clean of seeds
1/4 cup sugar
1 tblsp corn starch
2 tblsp water

5 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar

2 cups milk
1 cup half and half

Combine water and cornstarch into a slurry. Combine with strained blackberries and 1/4 cup sugar in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Once thickened and glossy, remove from heat.

Put egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in bowl of mixer. Beat until thick and light yellow.

In medium sauce pan, medium heat, combine milk and half and half. Heat until just simmering. Remove from heat. Stir about 1/3 of heated milk/half and half into egg yolks. Then stir in the rest. Return all to pan, including the blackberry mixture. Cook until it coats the back of the spoon - about 5 minutes. Do not let it boil.

Strain through a fine mesh strainer and let cool to room temp. Fridge over night or until below 40 degrees F. Process in ice cream maker.

Makes about 1 1/2 quarts.

-------------

Any other gelato recipes out there?

Back
Top Bottom