Getting the ice cream bowl colder, faster.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whole milk

Senior Cook
You people are having a bad affect on me. :rolleyes: I saw the posts about ice cream makers then logged onto Amazon and ordered one. It arrived today and the bowl is in the freezer now.

Question: Can I speed up the cooling of the bowl by filling it with ice and salt THEN putting it in the freezer? Or, after I've made my first batch can I do that so as to make the next batch a little sooner? (How long will I have to wait between batches anyway?)

I'm hungry! :pig:

What kind of maker do you have...is it one where the inside of the bowl is filled with liquid??

What kind of maker do you have...is it one where the inside of the bowl is filled with liquid??

It's a Japanese brand called Kai. It has a metal bowl inside a large plastic case. I take it out, afix the lid and it spins a paddle to churn the cream into ice cream. :pig:

I always freeze the bowl overnight. It takes a long time to get the cold through and through. You can try freezing for shorter times.

The point is to freeze the ice cream mix as quickly as possible. This results in smaller ice crystals which result in smoother creamier ice cream.

Churning the mix longer is not a good solution as you can actually churn the cream into butter and that results in a greasy ice cream texture.

I also make the mix the day before and chill that overnight as well.

As a matter of fact, I'll be making a ginger ice cream mix later today for tomorrow's dessert.

can you get a 2nd bowl?
that way you can always have one ready.
I bought 3 bowls for mine.... oops. :)

So wait, I am supposed to chill the mix and the metal bowl (cylinder actually) first? I have an electric ice cream maker. It is shaped like a big wooden pale (but made of plastic) with a metal container in the middle that holds the mix. You put the metal container in, add the mix, place the lid and stirrer on, then lock in the motor on top. I think it is a pretty generic ice cream maker...
In the past I would just place the mix in it, fill the outside with ice and salt, and turn it on and let it go.
And by the way, anyone with a TNT ice cream recipe is welcome to send it to me :)

EDIT: I think it holds a quart or two, not sure as we got it at a garage sale with no instructions or anything and there are no measuring units stamped on it.

Mav I have a ton, what kind ya want?
It'll have to wait til tomorrow tho before I can type. :)
I have a really good butter pecan one around somewhere........

Um maybe I should not share now.
SHAME ON YOU!
Oh yeah, and whaddya eating ice cream for anyway?? Is THAT heart healthy???
(steps down from soapbox)

So wait, I am supposed to chill the mix and the metal bowl (cylinder actually) first? I have an electric ice cream maker. It is shaped like a big wooden pale (but made of plastic) with a metal container in the middle that holds the mix. You put the metal container in, add the mix, place the lid and stirrer on, then lock in the motor on top. I think it is a pretty generic ice cream maker...
In the past I would just place the mix in it, fill the outside with ice and salt, and turn it on and let it go.
And by the way, anyone with a TNT ice cream recipe is welcome to send it to me :)

EDIT: I think it holds a quart or two, not sure as we got it at a garage sale with no instructions or anything and there are no measuring units stamped on it.

You have a different type of ice cream maker. Yours uses ice and salt in place of the encapsulated liquid in the other type. You don't have to freeze the container overnigh but it would help if you put the metal container in the freezer for a half hour or so to make the metal cold. The mix should also be refirgerator cold before mixing. As I mentioned before, the faster you can get to the end of teh process, the better.

Uses for ice cream maker...

Thanks for the tips Andy, I will definitely use them next time I make ice cream. Anything that makes it better is good in my book!:)

Suzi,
But, but... I need to get back in her good graces!! (and quiting is harder than heck!!).
I know, not heart healthy (neither is the Brown Cow ice cream parlor and she promised to take me there next week! LOL. Last week she had a coupon for Baskin Robins so she took me there... uh.. that makes her guilty too!!):LOL:

But, here is a good use for the ice cream maker (From 2003, so I need to get it out and get some new pics!):

Attachments

• 060803IceCream 004.jpg
    060803IceCream 004.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 060803IceCream 008.jpg
    060803IceCream 008.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 216
Churning the mix longer is not a good solution as you can actually churn the cream into butter and that results in a greasy ice cream texture.

That's REALLY interesting. Could I really make butter if I used it when it was room temp? You see, it's IMPOSSIBLE to find realy buttermilk where I live AND butter is outragously expensive (7-10 USD for four sticks) and sometimes out of stock.

That's REALLY interesting. Could I really make butter if I used it when it was room temp? You see, it's IMPOSSIBLE to find realy buttermilk where I live AND butter is outragously expensive (7-10 USD for four sticks) and sometimes out of stock.

I think that would only give you butter, if you could churn it long enough. I thought buttermilk was slightly sour thickened milk? DW says you can make it at home just like you can make yogurt, but she isn't sure how.
I want to try some southern fried chicken again hoping I can get it right this time, and for some strange reason buttermilk can be hard to find around here. Making it at home, like the yogurt, would be cool. Gee think of the money saved making your own ice cream, yogurt, and buttermilk! LOL.

In order to get buttermilk, you have to start with unpasteurized milk. If you churn regular milk, you'll get butter and a liquid.

Store bought buttermilk is made by adding enzymes to skim milk. The recipe of adding lemon juice, cream of tartar or vinegar to milk is an alternative you can use when buttermilk is not available.

If you want to make butter at home, start with heavy cream and use your electric mixer to churn it, that works much better. Then you have to rinse it and knead it and rinse to get out the liquid that can collect in pockets in the butter. Salt can be added for flavor.

In order to get buttermilk, you have to start with unpasteurized milk. If you churn regular milk, you'll get butter and a liquid.

Store bought buttermilk is made by adding enzymes to skim milk. The recipe of adding lemon juice, cream of tartar or vinegar to milk is an alternative you can use when buttermilk is not available.

If you want to make butter at home, start with heavy cream and use your electric mixer to churn it, that works much better. Then you have to rinse it and knead it and rinse to get out the liquid that can collect in pockets in the butter. Salt can be added for flavor.

I can get unpasteurized milk during the summer at the farmers market so might be worth getting just on occasion instead of hunting around for the buttermilk, which boggles my mind that it is not readily found here except in the higher end stores and very expensive for me.
Might be fun to have the kids churn some butter just for kicks, so thanks for the tips on getting the liquid out.

ditto that Andy, my 8 yr old asked the other day if we could try making butter...
I remember sitting in a big circle in Kindergarten all taking turns shaking a jar of cream til we had butter. That was fun!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom