Hawaiian Baked Alaska
1/2 fresh ripe pineapple
1 cup pound cake, cubed
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
4 scoops vanilla or orange ice cream
3 egg whites
1/3 cup granulated sugar
Dash cream of tartar
1. Rinse pineapple. Hollow out pineapple pulp with a spoon, leaving a thick shell.
2. Cut pineapple pulp in small chunks. Set aside.
3. Fill shell with pound cake cubes and pineapple. Sprinkle with walnuts. Cover. Set aside until ready to bake.
4. Shortly before serving time, place pineapple shell on a bed of crushed ice in a baking pan.
5. Top with ice cream, pressing it into the cake pineapple mixture.
6. Return to the freezer.
7. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating. Add cream of tartar and continue beating until meringue is stiff and glossy.
8. Spread or pipe meringue over top of filled pineapple, sealing edges.
9. Bake at 425 degrees for 3 to 5 minutes until meringue tops are lightly brown. Serve.
Per serving: 459 calories; 8.1 g protein; 20.6 g fat; 64.8 g carbohydrates; 191 mg sodium.