"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Frozen Desserts & Ice Creams

Old 12-20-2004, 08:55 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Hogmanay Ice-Cream

Flavoured with Drambuie, this ice-cream is great with clootie dumpling, or Eyemouth tart, or even plain apple pie!

4oz caster sugar
6 tablespoons water
6 egg yolks
7 fluid ounces double cream, lightly whipped
3 tablespoons Drambuie

(I have been told recently that a British 'tablespoon' holds more than a US tablespoon - so this will make quite a difference to a recipe!)

Bring the water and sugar to the boil in a small saucepan and then set aside. Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl over a saucepan of boiling water. Once they are light in colour, add the water and sugar mixture and whisk until it forms a ribbon. Then remove from the heat and continue to whisk until it is cool. Add the Drambuie and the lightly whipped cream. Freeze overnight.

Old 12-20-2004, 11:49 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CookinBlondie Send a message via MSN to CookinBlondie Send a message via Yahoo to CookinBlondie
How much larger is the British tablespoon? Or were you just kidding? :roll: LoL. Have you made this before? How does it turn out?

CookinBlondie*

Old 12-20-2004, 03:30 PM   #3
Everymom

Drambuie!! Woohoo!!
Old 12-20-2004, 05:42 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Yes, I've made it lots of times!

It was only recently that I read somewhere that the US and UK (Imperial) 'tablespoon' measurement was different. The UK one was about a quarter bigger (if I recall it accurately!) BUT, I can't find where I read that...

This conversion chart makes it even BIGGER than I thought!
http://www.csgnetwork.com/cookmeasuretable.html
Old 12-21-2004, 09:35 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CookinBlondie Send a message via MSN to CookinBlondie Send a message via Yahoo to CookinBlondie
Thanks for the chart, that really helped. I bookmarked it, and it will be a great help in the future. Thanks again for clearing it up.

CookinBlondie*
Old 12-21-2004, 05:09 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
My grandad used to drink Drambuie............for breakfast!!!!! bearing in mind he got up to work on the farm at 5 and had is first wee dram at 9, the equivalent of lunchtime I suppose, not so bad. I have never tried it myself, but I will get some for Christmas and make this. I love home made ice cream.

Tags
None