Home Ice Cream makers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SmokedChef

Assistant Cook
Does anyone have suggestions for a good ice cream maker? I'm hoping to find one that doesn't require ice - any thoughts?

I have a thought but you probably will not like it.
Don't buy an ice cream maker that doesn't use ice.
I bought one and wound up throwing it away. It would not make ice cream that was firm enough for me (and it took forever). I did not spend a lot for it, so perhaps the expensive ones work better. If you like soft, mushy ice cream, give it a try. I'll stick to the old fashioned ice method.

Krups Ice Cream Maker

This is a great one - I use it all the time. It makes perfect ice cream - nice and creamy, and takes about 15-20 minutes. Make sure you freeze the ice cream bowl at least 24 hours or more before each use - I freeze it a minimum of 32 hours. Also, your freezer has to be at a minimum of 0 degrees. Any warmer and you won't have ideal results. (I test it with a freezer thermometer).

In addition, these types of ice cream makers produce ice cream that's on the soft side, so if you want it firmer, you need to freeze it further for a few hours. You can just leave it in its bowl or transfer it to an airtight container.
Amazon.com: Krups GVS142 1-1/2-Quart Automatic Ice-Cream Maker: Home & Garden

I like my Cuisinart. It came with 2 bowls the bowls get frozen and stuck on top of the turning thing. (Yes that's the technical term!)
It stays frozen for quite awhile, making pretty firm ice cream.

There's gotta be a better way?

I know but I hate the ice method because I have to keep my freezer stocked up with ice or go to the store and buy some and with the frozen bowl ones, you have to plan ahead to make sure that the bowl is frozen for it to work or keep it in the freezer all the time. I've been looking at some that cool themselves. Does anyone have any experience with these? This is one that I have my eye on. It's a Whynter ice cream maker.

QMIC-2L-2T.jpg

This seems like it might do the trick - no ice, no frozen bowl. Just plug it in and go. Usually, I get the urge to make ice cream and I want some instant gratification. Has anyone used one and how well did it work?

SmokedChef:
Although you were the one that asked the question, I think you just answered mine.
The Whynter you mentioned sounds like what I've been looking for. Like you, the ice cream makers mentioned here that require you to put the bowl in the freezer for 24 hours in advance...is not what I'm after. I want ice cream now, not tomorrow.

Do you have any idea what the Whynter costs?

I haven't used one but I like the idea. I have got an icecream maker that you need to freeze the bowl for. The icecream turns out well but I never have enough room in the freezer for the bowl!

I have a ginormus freezer in the basement so thats just where I store the bowl. Then I'm good to go when I get a bug up my butt!

I have the KA ice cream attachment. I think it makes great ice cream.
Me too. A little bit of time in the freezer after you make it, to solidify it a bit, and it goes from a softer serve to a nice ice cream texture. Ben and Jerry's book has some excellent recipes and readings on ice cream in it.

I have a ginormus freezer in the basement so thats just where I store the bowl. Then I'm good to go when I get a bug up my butt!

Even when one feels the urge to have ice cream right away, one can't, unless you go out and buy it. There's a few hours of waiting involved if you want to make good ice cream, even if you have a frozen bowl ready for use.

To make good ice cream, you have to chill the custard for a few hours before putting it in the ice cream machine. Then let the ice cream harden a few hours more in the freezer.

Otherwise, making ice cream using unchilled custard in the ice cream machine will result in ice cream that's not smooth (because of the big ice crystals that form from the unchilled custard.)

Sorry, I use ice, small rock salt and a couple of ziplock bags. Works great.

put ice and salt in one large ziplock, put the ice cream mixture in the other. Place the ice cream bag in side the ice bag and agitate for 10 to 15 minutes.

Makes pretty good ice cream...

Does anyone have suggestions for a good ice cream maker? I'm hoping to find one that doesn't require ice - any thoughts?

I love the Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker (the one that costs around $50) I've had one since they first came out in the early 90's. I make all my own ice cream, and did when I was catering full time, so it gets used a lot. So much that I wore one out, and am on my second one. I keep the container in my freezer all the time (I have a dedicated freezer that is not part of my fridge) so it is always ready to go. We love sorbets, both sweet for dessert, and savory for palate cleansers, so even when we're going low-fat, it gets a workout. It's really an excellent product.

I don't know why anyone would say not to get an ice cream freezer that does not require ice! There are many excellent commercial ones on the market, if you are looking for one for your restaurant. The Cuisinart is great for home use.

I love the Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker (the one that costs around $50) I've had one since they first came out in the early 90's. I make all my own ice cream, and did when I was catering full time, so it gets used a lot. So much that I wore one out, and am on my second one. I keep the container in my freezer all the time (I have a dedicated freezer that is not part of my fridge) so it is always ready to go. We love sorbets, both sweet for dessert, and savory for palate cleansers, so even when we're going low-fat, it gets a workout. It's really an excellent product.

I don't know why anyone would say not to get an ice cream freezer that does not require ice! There are many excellent commercial ones on the market, if you are looking for one for your restaurant. The Cuisinart is great for home use.

I agree. I have had a Cuisinart for 8-10 years and it makes good ice cream. I like it because I don't have to deal with the extra mess an ice and salt ice cream maker generates.

If I had the the money, I'd buy a self-contained refrigerated unit.

Even when one feels the urge to have ice cream right away, one can't, unless you go out and buy it. There's a few hours of waiting involved if you want to make good ice cream, even if you have a frozen bowl ready for use.
Not necessarily! you've never worked in a restaurant where the ice cream ran out during service and you had to make more on the spot!

To make good ice cream, you have to chill the custard for a few hours before putting it in the ice cream machine.
No, you can chill the custard just as well over an ice/water bath!
Then let the ice cream harden a few hours more in the freezer.
not so much if you have a separate freezer. You can portion out the soft ice cream into serving dishes and it will set up in about 20 minutes, if you need it.

It's always a good idea to keep one's options open by being willing to experiment... sometimes you can come up with a whole revolutionary new dish or technique! :chef:

Right away didn't exactly mean instantly. I'm aware of the custard chilling process.

The most interesting method I ever saw of making ice cream was nearly instant. The guy on TV (forget who it was, maybe Alton Brown) had chunks of dry ice, and he just kept tossing in a chunk or so as he stirred the custard. And since dry ice does not melt (it evaporates, or "sublimes") it does not add moisture to the custard.

The result was fast, but also very smooth in texture, as the ice crystals did not have time to grow too large.

I have not tried this yet, but I sure plan on it. However, I don't really think this a practical method unless you plan to put on a show at a dinner party.

Itzalgud,

Those ice cream makers aren't cheap. That's why I was hoping to find someone who has used them. The one in the picture is around $225. I'd like to hear from someone who owned one before I buy. The other suggestions are great but I want a machine that I can just plug in.

SC

Back
Top Bottom