Homemade Ice Cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm chomping at the bit to start playing with my new ice cream maker. I have dabbled with making ice cream in the past, but not seriously. I have a lot of recipes--some call for buttermilk, heavy cream, whole milk/skim milk, some for condensed milk (no maker required), some with eggs, some without. So those who make ice cream, what ingredients do you prefer? Which ingredients produce the creamiest ice cream?

For 5+ cups of ice cream from 4 cups of mix:

Custard Mix ingredients-
1/4 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups whole milk
2+ cups heavy cream
1/2+ cup sugar
4 - 5 egg yolks
2 - 3 tsp vanilla extract

Simmer milk with 1 tbs sugar & 1/4 tsp salt in a heavy sauce pan stirring constantly for about 30 minutes or until volume is reduced to 2/3rds then add 1 cup heavy cream; combine cream heating but not boiling.
Whisk 4 or 5 egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar.
Slowly add 2/3 rds of heated milk and cream mixture to the egg & sugar mixture, whisking to thoroughly combine.
If you add too quickly you risk making scrambled eggs.
Return the egg & milk mixture to the heavy saucepan.
Whisk the sauce pan contents until it thickens to the consistncy of a thick shake, but does not break.
The exterior of the sauce pan should be no hotter than you can uncomfortably touch without getting burned (~135*F)
Remove from heat and whisk while cooling (perhaps in a bowl of cold water)
When mix has been cooled to under 90*F, add 2-3 Tsp vanilla extract and enough heavy cream to bring total volume up to 4 cups.
Chill in refrigerator to bring down to 40*F or less.
Churn chilled mix in ice cream maker for 30 minutes or until volume has increased by at least 25%.

Last edited:
Which ingredients produce the creamiest ice cream?
Why cream, of course! :yum:

I have a Cuisinart ice cream maker that my wife gave me for Christmas one year. I actually use it more for sorbet and sherbet than anything, but I do have some ice cream recipes at home I've tried. I'll try and post some tonight.

I use 2 C heavy cream, 1 C light cream and 1C whole milk and 8 egg yolks. Don't skimp on sugar, it controls the formation of ice crystals. All else being the same, more sugar = creamier texture. I've tried subbing some corn syrup in place of some of the granulated sugar in a recipe as it's a different type of sugar (glucose) which is supposed to do a better job of controlling ice formation. It' didn't work.

I heat the dairy mixture to a simmer then turn off the heat. While it's heating I whisk the yolks until they are lighter in color then whisk the sugar into the yolks. I then temper the egg mix with the hot dairy. The entire base goes back into the pan and is heated to 170ºF for 3-5 minutes. I then strain the mixture into a SS bowl. Once the base is chilled to > 40ºF, it goes into the Cuisinart for 20-25 minutes then into the freezer for 3-4 hours.

Then I start making it disappear.

I am thinking of trying this recipe this weekend:

CHEF DE CUISINE: RECIPE: RHUBARB ICE CREAM

I know, I shoud try it "as written" the first time...however, I am tempted to sub out the milk for buttermilk...and infusing the milk-cream mixture with some cardamon pods...it doesn't have a lot of egg yolk in it...wondering what would happen if I upped the egg yolks to 5....this whole ice cream thing is also driven by the fact that many recipes use lots of yolks and, well, I seem to have access to lots of yolks! The whites I can freeze or use for egg white omelets.

So far, I have 2 rhubarb based recipes on the menu for tomorrow's dinner...no, make that three, I have the ingredients for the cucumber-rhubarb salad to which TL posted the link...I'm sure I can come up with an appetizer and a drink using rhubarb...hey! I could participate in a rhubarb challenge! Oh, don't need to come up with the beverage--DH still has rhubarb wine from last year...add some seltzer, a bit of rosemary, a curl of rhubarb, voila, a rhubarb beverage!

Last edited:
csw,
here is a tnt recipe I use often during the hot months. You can do it right away, it's not so rich you gag but is smooth and creamy and my whole family loves it. No eggs, no cooking first just make and enjoy. If you ant it firmer put it in an airtight container and freeze about 2 hrs. I remove from freezer about 10 min before serving
Vanilla ice cream makes 14-1/2 cup servings
1-1/2 cups whole milk,
1-1/8 cups sugar
3 cups heavy cream
1-2 teas. good vanilla
mix milk and sugar in med bowl with hand mixer on low speed til sugar is dissolved. This takes about 2 min. Stir in the cream and vanilla. Turn you machine on and pour the mixture into freezer bowl.mix til thickened about 20 min. enjoy. I also have one for chocolate,peach,strawberry peanut butter cup chocolate mint,coffee butter almond and pistachio, the other have the eggs and need cooking and are more labor intensive. Hope this helps
kades

kadesma said:
csw,
here is a tnt recipe I use often during the hot months. You can do it right away, it's not so rich you gag but is smooth and creamy and my whole family loves it. No eggs, no cooking first just make and enjoy. If you ant it firmer put it in an airtight container and freeze about 2 hrs. I remove from freezer about 10 min before serving
Vanilla ice cream makes 14-1/2 cup servings
1-1/2 cups whole milk,
1-1/8 cups sugar
3 cups heavy cream
1-2 teas. good vanilla
mix milk and sugar in med bowl with hand mixer on low speed til sugar is dissolved. This takes about 2 min. Stir in the cream and vanilla. Turn you machine on and pour the mixture into freezer bowl.mix til thickened about 20 min. enjoy. I also have one for chocolate,peach,strawberry peanut butter cup chocolate mint,coffee butter almond and pistachio, the other have the eggs and need cooking and are more labor intensive. Hope this helps
kades

This recipe looks like the recipe my Grandma used. I knew hers didn't have eggs but didn't know the actual ratios. Thanks for posting this. I will take note of this one.:)

This recipe looks like the recipe my Grandma used. I knew hers didn't have eggs but didn't know the actual ratios. Thanks for posting this. I will take note of this one.:)
Great,FA thanks for letting me know.
kades

I just put 1/2 cup of half and half, 3 ounces of coffee liquor and a tablespoon of espresso powder into my little Half Pint Ice cream maker. We'll see in about 6 more minutes if it will get frosty and ice creamy!

I just put 1/2 cup of half and half, 3 ounces of coffee liquor and a tablespoon of espresso powder into my little Half Pint Ice cream maker. We'll see in about 6 more minutes if it will get frosty and ice creamy!
Sounds yummy:yum: now i want some
ma

Well, there's no sugar in the recipe...

Also, alcohol prevents freezing.

Andy M. said:
4 Oz. of dairy and 3 Oz. of booze is too much.

Which is too much? Would adding more cream help, Andy?

Boogers, PF. I would bet it would be great in coffee though.

4 Oz. of dairy and 3 Oz. of booze is too much.

Oh well, it tasted good, even if it didn't turn into ice cream. Next time, add sugar, no booze and triple the espresso powder. And put the freezer part in the deep freeze instead of the fridge freezer.

I stewed the rhubarb, infused the cream/milk with fennel seed, cardamon, black pepper, and a bit of rosemary. I subbed out the whole milk for buttermilk--wanted the tang. I upped the # of egg yolks to 5. The mixture that is now chilling b/4 going in the ice cream maker tastes really good and is the thickness of a milkshake! Success thus far? If it works, is it my recipe or still the recipe re: the source that I posted?

Back
Top Bottom