Homemade Ice Cream Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thmoneypit

Assistant Cook
I am sure that someone has probably already posted this recipe, but it’s too good to pass up. It is a slight variation on the Eagle Brand recipe posted on their web site. This recipe is for a six quart maker.

Ingredients;

Two 14oz (wt) cans of sweetened condensed milk

One quart (16oz) of heavy whipping cream

Two and a half tablespoons of vanilla extract (or to taste)

Two and a half cups of sugar (or to taste)

One gallon of whole milk

Also need (of course);

Ice (two or three bags usually gets it done for me, but temperature and humidity will effect and determine how much is actually used)

Rock salt (you probably won’t be able to find any because my wife bought it all the last time we needed some. I’ve got enough rock salt for years of ice cream making. Maybe we will get some snow and ice this winter I can use it to salt my steps.)

Mix your ingredients in the ice cream can (you will not use the entire gallon of milk), insert the dasher and install the cover. If you have the room in your freezer and are going to be making ice cream on a hot, humid day, I’ve found that putting the mixture in the freezer for fifteen or twenty minutes helps speed up the freezing time.

Install the can into the bucket and add some ice. Put about two or three inches of ice and then a layer of salt. Don’t be stingy with the salt, put on a nice layer. Then repeat the ice – salt step until you reach the top. This goes without saying, but ……. be careful not to get salt in your mix or the ice cream once you’re done.

Now your ready to plug it up or start cracking and it you are hand cracking you have my respect. I have had this freeze as quick as forty five minutes and as long as one hour and thirty five minutes. Another optional step once finished mixing is to carefully drain the water, pack in more ice and let it sit for about thirty minutes (firms it up a little more). Good golly Miss Molly, pass a spoon!

One side note, I’ve found the recipe very good for adding fresh fruit (peach’s, strawberries & etc) to it. Oh boy it’s goooooood.

Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom