Homemade Ice Cream Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire
Let's talk Homemade Ice Cream..Methods, Recipes, Equipment.

French-Style Vanilla:

4 Egg Whites
4 Egg Yolks
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
4 Cups Half & Half
2 Cups Cream

Beat egg yolks until foamy...gradually add 3/4 cup sugar; beat until thickened. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold egg yolk mixture into egg whites. Stir in cream and remaining 3/4 Cups sugar.Transfer to a 3 qt or so saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture coats a spoon. Do not boil! Add Vanilla. Chill thoroughly. Freeze.

I use a 6 Qt. White Mountain Freezer. Hand Crank Model. It makes better Ice Cream than an electric one:-p

Ok! Your turn...:whistling

I need a hand-cranked gizmo, Uncle Bob. I've been using a cute lil Cuisinart number, but I don't like the results.

How many pieces of fresh peaches would you suggest I add to your scrumptious looking recipe?

mudbug said:
I need a hand-cranked gizmo, Uncle Bob. I've been using a cute lil Cuisinart number, but I don't like the results.

How many pieces of fresh peaches would you suggest I add to your scrumptious looking recipe?

Miss Mud...

I don't have a clue. The recipe yields about 3 quarts. So ever how many you want. Maybe a couple of nice peaches. I like fresh peaches on the ice cream after it is frozen. Maybe you and Miss Barb can work out something on a freezer!

Have an electric at the shop. I prefer making sorbets more then Ice Creams, but there is nothing quite like a good homemade Ice Cream.

I can get the recipes for ya if you want but here are some faves.
Oatmeal, rum raisin, caramel sweet cream, great with bananas.
White chocolate, toasted macadamia nut, and honey ice cream.
Oven roasted strawberry and dark chocolate ice cream.
Lavender and lemon zest ice cream.
Green tea, pineapple sorbet.
Green Apple sorbet. Drizzle with a little vodka table side.
Red Beet sorbet. Sounds odd, but pairs GREAT with dark chocolate.
lemon Thyme sorbet.
Rosemary and Orange sorbet.
Blood orange sorbet.
Carrot and ginger sorbet. With candied cilantro.
Mango Sorbet.
Grapefruit sorbet with pink salt.

I guess I like sorbets more because they are so easy, and not as rich as ice cream. Some sorbets make awesome intermezzos as well.

TATRAT,

You present a mouthwatering assortment. I would like to try some of those.

I have a White Mountain electric version but my bucket is a mess. The motor is fine and the canister is also good. There is a hardware store about 40 miles from my home that is a distributor so when visiting the KitchenAid factory next time we are going to stop in to check the availability of a new bucket. DW also wanted to look at the ice cream attachment for the KitchenAid.

We have been making ice cream for a long time. When the family gathers at our house in the summer to swim I usually make a batch or three. I have one of those decorative flags with a colorful depiction of an ice cream cone and when the family arrives they know there will be frozen treats when they see the flag.

My son is moving out real soon and he is taking a couple of book cases. My ice cream book got stuck in a box, bag, or stack someplace so I can provide some recipes when it is discovered.

I like some of the recipes from the Ben & Jerry’s book. My favorite is the Kalahua and Amaretto ice cream. I found that I had to stick the liqueurs in the freezer to help with the ice cream setting up faster. It still is more of a soft serve texture but awesome flavor.

I also like the Lemon Sorbet, Mimosa Sorbet and a good chocolate or vanilla is always a hit.

When we had a small farm I made some fresh strawberry with cream we bought at a dairy. This cream had so much butterfat that I almost need a corkscrew to remove the solids from the top of the bottle before it could be poured. This was the richest ice cream I ever made.:pig:

Last edited:
I love good plain old vanilla, when I'm in the mood I add flavorings to that.

I use an electric Rival ice cream maker. The recipe comes straight out of the booklet that came with the maker. But the recipe is nothing unusual, it is the mistake I made the second year I went to make ice cream. I thought I had a six quart maker, so I preceeded to put together the custard for a 6 quarter. But when I went to fetch the maker, it was only a 4 quart:wacko: . At that point, I was supposed to add 6 cups whipping cream, but there was not enough room for that much liquid. So I added 3 cups, of milk at that.

I use no cream or whipping cream in my ice cream, whole milk only, so technically it is ice milk. But using my mistake method, it comes out very rich tasting. Here's the recipe I use for a 4 quart maker;

3 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (makes it look like vanilla flakes)
3/4 t. salt

7 cups whole milk

6 eggs, beaten

3 cups whole milk
2 T. real vanilla

1/4 t. peppermint oil, optional
chocolate chips, optional

Combine sugar, flour and salt in a 5 quart saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat approximately 20 to 30 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.

Gradually stir about 1 cup hot mixture into the beaten eggs. Add this back to the remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Cook one minute. Cool quickly and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.

Combine milk and vanilla in a large bowl, add chilled mixture and stir with a whisk to combine. Freeze as directed.

This is the only recipe I now make. It is rich and delicious. Make it plain, or add the peppermint oil and chocolate chips for a real treat.;)

This is my absolute favorite when it comes to homemade ice cream.

Butter Pecan Ice Cream

1 1/2C chopped pecans
4Tbsp. butter(DO NOT SUBSTITUTE MARGARINE!!)

Cook over medium heat 10-15 minutes, stirring often to keep pecans from burning.

1 small box instant vanila pudding
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 large can evaporated milk
1/2C. sugar
1tsp. vanilla
1/2 gallon whole milk(or less- depending on size of ice cream maker)
4oz. cool whip

Mix together everything except whole milk & cool whip well. Fold in cool whip. Pour into ice cream maker, add whole milk to finish filling. Freeze until firm. If you're going to make the mixture ahead of time & let it cool in the fridge, add cool whip just before pouring it into your ice cream maker.

Miss Crewsk..

Your recipe sounds great. I've never seen one just like it. You can count on it "happening" at my house this summer!! Yum! Butter and Pecans!!

Gotta try your's too Miss Beth. This one sounds delicious and rich!!!

Next.........:whistling

TATTRAT said:
Have an electric at the shop. I prefer making sorbets more then Ice Creams, but there is nothing quite like a good homemade Ice Cream.

I can get the recipes for ya if you want but here are some faves.
Oatmeal, rum raisin, caramel sweet cream, great with bananas.
White chocolate, toasted macadamia nut, and honey ice cream.
Oven roasted strawberry and dark chocolate ice cream.
Lavender and lemon zest ice cream.
Green tea, pineapple sorbet.
Green Apple sorbet. Drizzle with a little vodka table side.
Red Beet sorbet. Sounds odd, but pairs GREAT with dark chocolate.
lemon Thyme sorbet.
Rosemary and Orange sorbet.
Blood orange sorbet.
Carrot and ginger sorbet. With candied cilantro.
Mango Sorbet.
Grapefruit sorbet with pink salt.

I guess I like sorbets more because they are so easy, and not as rich as ice cream. Some sorbets make awesome intermezzos as well.

Wow! That's a mouthful, Tatt! I like sorbet, as well.

Don't have an ice cream maker yet, but this looks so good - Soy Sauce Sorbet (the sweet & salty flavors together). The sorbet is made with Vodka (and served with ginger carrot cake). Here is a look. (Scroll down the page):

Su Good Eats » Asian Influences

Until I get an ice cream maker, I may play around with a watermelon granita & chocolate chip recipe I came across, this summer.

Last edited:
I'm resurrecting this great ice cream thread :)

I just bought a 1 1/2 qt. Cuisinart electric ice cream maker and we love it!

I'd appreciate some tips on adding chocolate chunks, etc., to the ice cream. I bought dark chocolate Hershey bars, broke them into small pieces and added about 5 minutes before the ice cream was done. The chocolate was very hard. We love vanilla and chocolate - but I'd like to jazz it up once in a while with fruit and chocolate. What am I doing wrong?

We have an electric ice cream churn, then I have one of those that the cylinder goes in the freezer and you have to turn the handle every couple of minutes, then we have an electric ice cream maker (don't remember the name) that I don't think we've ever used. I suppose the idea of homemade is much better than my follow thru. I'm going to try them all this summer and compare the results.

Licia said:
then I have one of those that the cylinder goes in the freezer and you have to turn the handle every couple of minutes,

I have one of those.. Ran across it today....Gave it to my Grand-Mother many moons ago...She never used it. Then my Mother had it...never used it. They are both gone now.. so I have it back...I'm thinking I'll give it a go...Soon!!!

is this cosmic or what? I was just eating a bowl of chocolate ice cream that I made yesterday....I am still using my accidental technique, which is to make about 1/3 more custard than a recipe would call for, for your size machine. I still use only whole milk, no added cream...and here is the recipe I used for yesterdays ice cream;

2 cups cocoa, I used Penzeys natural cocoa
3 3/4 cups sugar
9 eggs
6 cups milk

3 cups milk
2 T. vanilla
dash salt

Mix cocoa and sugar, stir in 9 eggs until a paste is formed. Add 6 cups milk and cook over med heat stirring constantly. Heat to 150F*. Cool and refrigerate.

Next day, add vanilla and milk and freeze as directed.

This is so easy, no tempering the eggs, no heating until near boiling.....and it tastes incredible..

I'm resurrecting this great ice cream thread :)

I just bought a 1 1/2 qt. Cuisinart electric ice cream maker and we love it!

I'd appreciate some tips on adding chocolate chunks, etc., to the ice cream. I bought dark chocolate Hershey bars, broke them into small pieces and added about 5 minutes before the ice cream was done. The chocolate was very hard. We love vanilla and chocolate - but I'd like to jazz it up once in a while with fruit and chocolate. What am I doing wrong?

I could start a new thread with my question...but wanted to bring this one back instead. :)

When I've tried to add chocolate pieces to my ice cream they are very hard. Not like commercial ice cream. Advice, please?

Miss Callie....The chocolate chunks/bits in the commercial ice cream...they are soft like the ice cream????? I'm guessing here--- but maybe it's the chocolate they use...Different than the chocolate in a candy bar, chocolate chips etc.

I dunno, Uncle B...I made a lovely vanilla ice cream...added a dash of cherry flavoring, some macerated chunked fresh cherries and pieces of Hershey dark chocolate bars. The cherries were fine - but the chocolate was too hard. I've had lots of different store-bought ice creams with big chocolate chunks in them...while they weren't "mushy" soft...they weren't "tooth-breaking" hard lol.

I just wonder if I'm missing a home made ice cream secret :LOL:

:chef:
I've got two very nice e-books on this subject, but, as usual, they are too large for DC's parameters............. anyone who might want copies, PM me an E-mail addyand I'll fire them off to you.......
LT

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom