Ice Cream Blues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hipgrncln

Assistant Cook
Have one of those impossibly expensive Ice-cream makers that works just fine. The recipe I use come from Ben and Jerry's book and always taste wonderful just after making. HOWEVER...... it is not anywhere near hard and after putting in a pan and covered and waiting a period of time it just does NOT taste the same. What am I doing wrong ??????

Bob J

After processing the ice cream, you must put it into the freezer for several hours to get it to be hard. That's normal.

The flavors are more intense when the ice cream is soft because it's also warmer. When it's cold from the freezer the flavors are subdued because that's what cold does.

Try to intensify the flavors so they seem almost too strong before you process and freeze the ice cream.

It's normal for icecream, just out of an icecream maker, to be very soft. Once you freeze it to firm it up, how does the taste change? Do you think it could be picking up the flavor of other smells in your freezer/fridge?

That all makes sense. The pans I use are ss with a plastic cover that is tight. I mostly notice it with vanilla as I often make icecream to acompany another desert. Any recipes for intence vanilla ????

Many Thanks
Bob j

When you taste the fully frozen ice cream, is it sweet enough? If not, add some more sugar. The same goes for the vanilla flavor. Use either a vanilla bean or real vanilla extract.

I do have vanilla bean and will chop/mince that next time. It seems that my recipe contains 3/4 cup of sugar. More ???????

Bob J

I do have vanilla bean and will chop/mince that next time. It seems that my recipe contains 3/4 cup of sugar. More ???????

Bob J

Bob, don't chop up the vanilla bean. Split it in half length-wise and use the back of a small knife to scrape out the paste inside. Add that and the scraped pod to the cream/milk/sugar mixture and heat them together. the heated dairy will extract a lot of vanilla flavor from the pod. Then you can just fish out the two pieces of pod and proceed.

3/4 cup of sugar for how much liquid?

Back
Top Bottom