Ice cream bombe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mandytw

Assistant Cook
Hello,
This is my first post on this site.
I need help in finding a receipe for an ice cream bombe receipe that was called Christopher's Surprise it was a lemon flavoured ice cream with chocolate pieces inside. Hence the surprise when you cut it open the chocolate would tumble out.
I have lost the receipe and would love to find it again.
Any help received is very appreciated.

I've seen various bombes and have even eaten from the same. Cristopher's Bombe refers to a desert bombe that was served to James Bond with a real bomb in it (in the move).

I looked in Google, and Yahoo, but with few results. Most posts refer to the film, or to another one about a code breaking machine. But this post - Elaine's recipes: Bombe Surprise Will give you a light bombe.

I would make this recipe, and a shallow lemon cake, or shortbread to act as a base. Then, make the bombe from the recipe, and scoop out much of the center so as to make it hollow. Put the chocolate into the bowl you just carved, and place the cake or shortbread over the opening to create the final structure. Invert onto a serving plate and cover with a chocolate ganache.

That should get you close. For the cake, or shortbread, add lemon flavoring.

Seeeeeeya- Chief Longwind of the North

Hello,
This is my first post on this site.
I need help in finding a receipe for an ice cream bombe receipe that was called Christopher's Surprise it was a lemon flavoured ice cream with chocolate pieces inside. Hence the surprise when you cut it open the chocolate would tumble out.
I have lost the receipe and would love to find it again.
Any help received is very appreciated.

Welcome to Discuss Cooking Mandy! This is a great place of regular folk with some fantastic food sense.
I know you're looking for a lemon ice cream bombe, but here's one I really like:
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f45/cannoli-ice-cream-cake-91073.html

Here is the recipe you wanted from Josceline Dimbleby's Sweet Dreams book.

Christopher’s Bombe Surprise

Serves 8

2 large egg whites
Juice of 3 lemons
6 oz (175g) of caster sugar
1 teaspoon (5ml) of gelatine
1/2 pint (300ml) of whipping cream
6 oz (175g) plain chocolate, grated of chocolate curls
pinch of salt

Put egg whites in a bowl of a electric mixer and whip until stiff

Strain the lemon juice into a measuring jug and bring up to 5 fl oz (150 ml) - add water if necessary but if the lemons make up more than 5 fl oz (150 ml) it doesn’t matter

Put the lemon juice into a saucepan with the caster sugar and sprinkle on the gelatine

Dissolve the sugar and gelatine in the lemon juice over a low heat, then bring to the boil and bubble fiercely for 3 minutes.

Pour at once in a thin stream on to the egg whites, whisking all the time at high speed. Continue whisking for several minutes until cool and thick.

In another bowl, whisk the cream until thick, but not stiff, and then, using a spatula, fold gently but thoroughly into the egg white mixture. Transfer to a 2 pint (1.2 litre) metal basin or bombe mould, spreading the mixture up the sides with slight dip in the middle. Freeze for at least 5 hours.

When frozen, scoop out the centre of the ice cream and put aside in a bowl. Spoon the grated chocolate into the cavity, adding more if necessary to fill the gap completely. Stir around the reserved ice cream to soften a little and then spread back over the top of the chocolate.

Freeze thoroughly again, for at least 1 hour.

To unmould, dip the basin briefly in a sink of very hot water, loosen the top edges with a knife and turn out on to a serving plate.

Put back into the freezer until ready to serve

Looks like two of our newest members will become close cooking buddies. Welcome to Mandy and sbheaven. As you have already found out we all aim to help. This really is a fun forum. You have a question, as you both have found out, we have an answer. In fact we have lots of different answers to the one questions.

Stick around and enjoy yourselves. It is great having you.

Back
Top Bottom