Ice Cream Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettyR

Senior Cook
I made this ice cream cake for my husband’s birthday; it was really easy and costs a whole lot less than the $28.00 that they wanted for a similar cake at the store. I got a lot of compliments on this cake at the party.

I used this recipe for the chocolate cake but poured it into 3 cake pans so I would not have layers of cake that were too thick; of course the baking time is going to be less than the recipe says because the layers aren’t as thick.

Flora's Recipe Hideout: Chocolate Town Special Cake

Once removed from the cake pans I stuck the warm cake layers in the freezer – uncovered and let them freeze for maybe 1 hour.

The last 30 minutes or so that the cakes were in the freezer I took my vanilla ice cream out of the freezer and put it in the refrigerator. About every 10 minutes or so I would take the ice cream out of the frig and attempt to stir it as much as I could.

Once the ice cream had softened to about the consistency of peanut butter I put the cake together by placing a large heap of ice cream in the middle of the first layer and mashing it in the middle to get it spread out toward the edges. Once I had a thick enough layer of ice cream I placed the second layer of cake on top of the ice cream and mashed down to spread the ice cream out to the edges of the cake. Then repeat with the next layer. Using a spatula I smoothed the ice cream out on the sides of the cake and placed the cake into the freezer and let it freeze for about an hour.

Then I frosted the cake with 2 cups of whipping cream whipped with 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. Then I decorated it with some shaved bits off an unsweetened baking chocolate square that I rubbed on my lemon zester.

img_458980_0_b127f5c47c0c4a1e0e0c00818d32ec14.jpg

The ice cream layers look very even. I have a kid who loves ice cream cake so I am going to try this for his birthday in September.

I used to make ice cream sandwiches and store them in the tubes that you get with crystal lite drink mix. That's pretty easy.

I am wondering if marshmellow frosting would hold up as well as the whipped topping that you made then I think probably not.

Thanks for sharing a picture. We may have several before September!

JMediger said:
That looks delicious! What a fun summer (or anytime really!) idea!
Thanks for sharing ...

Your welcome!

PA Baker said:
Looks wonderful, Betty! I bet you had one happy hubby on his b-day!:chef:

Yes he was, ice cream cakes are his favorite.

Barb L said:
Thats one mighty fine looking cake - mouth was watering ! Good Job !

Thank you, I was really surprised at how easy it was to make. We live in a very small town, about 900 people. The closest place to buy an ice cream cake is a 30-minute drive. I decided to try and make one myself to save the cost of the gas for the trip.

StirBlue said:
The ice cream layers look very even. I have a kid who loves ice cream cake so I am going to try this for his birthday in September.

I used to make ice cream sandwiches and store them in the tubes that you get with crystal lite drink mix. That's pretty easy.

I am wondering if marshmallow frosting would hold up as well as the whipped topping that you made then I think probably not.

Thanks for sharing a picture. We may have several before September!

I found that the trick to getting the ice cream layers even was to pile the ice cream in the middle of the cake layer and spread it out a little but not all the way to the edge and using the next layer of cake to mash down on the ice cream to spread it out.

I think I would try freezing some marshmallow frosting first before I used it on the cake to see how hard it gets when it's frozen. You don't want to use something that's going to freeze so hard that people would have a hard time eating it.

wysiwyg said:
BettyR,
If you still have cake, please send me your address LOL
It looks great!

Sorry but my son finished off the rest of the cake that night after the last of our guests left. :rolleyes:

Jellybean said:
O.M.G! That looks fantastic.My mouth's watering!

Thank you!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom