Ice cream making with double cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Question about Ice cream making with double cream

my icecream recipy has dounle cream (heavy cream) in it but every pot i find says not sutable for home freezing......... can it still be used for icecream?

My dad thinks it will and the guidelines are on the packet as freezing and defrosting would ruin the quality of the cream, but wanted a second opinion...... dont want to poisen anyone :sick::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
my icecream recipy has dounle cream (heavy cream) in it but every pot i find says not sutable for home freezing......... can it still be used for icecream?

My dad thinks it will and the guidelines are on the packet as freezing and defrosting would ruin the quality of the cream, but wanted a second opinion...... dont want to poisen anyone :sick::ROFLMAO:

I make my own ice cream and have been for years. I always use "double cream" which is actually heavy whipping cream. I don't know how the cream is processed in England where you are however, and that may be the problem. Here in the U.S. cream freezes very well. If it says "don't freeze" then don't freeze.

some items in uk are frozen for transportation and then defrosted at the shop so are not sutable to be frozen (although most of these products CAN be refrozen due to the way they are defrosted in store) and i wondered if this was the case with the cream (although it usually tells you on the packaging if it has been pre frozen and the cream doesnt)

The strange thing is ALL the double cream i have come accross (whatever the brand or the supermarket) says it cant be frozen, yet most recipys have double cream in (including ones by uk chefs).The cream i have is pasturised and says "not sutable for home freezing" as apose to do not freeze, which is why i wondered if it was a quality issue rather than a safty one.

Have just checked tesco online recipys and there icecream recipys use double cream so i clicked on "buy ingrediants online" and it showed a picture of there own brand double cream, im now off to buy some which i will assume is sutable to use in icecream even if it says it cant be frozen, as they actually recomend it!

I think the statement relates to not refreezing the cream again. Once you make it into ice cream, freezing ti will be perfectly OK.

I don't think they want you to freeze the cream on its own as it has already been frozen and defrosted once, but in ice cream it should be fine.

thanks. the tesco icecream actually said sutable for home freezing so i used that to be on the safe side (the icecream was lovely btw) but i think your right aboutthe other stuff being ok for icecream

Europe differs from the US quite a bit where dairy is concerned- any domestic dairy product must come from pasteurized milk. In Europe, milk, cream, butter, cheese, etc. can be sold without pasteurizing the milk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom