"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Frozen Desserts & Ice Creams

Old 05-29-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Ice cream? Not exactly....

ICE CREAM RECIPE….O.K. – IT IS REALLY FROZEN CUSTARD
( It will not freeze solid like typical homemade ice cream – and it is as rich and creamy as anything you will ever eat! ) But – it uses un cooked egg yolks – so if you are squeamish about it – you may to heat the mixture gently in a pan on the stove first. I have never had a problem – but…hey – I eat “bait” (sushi)…
BASIC RECIPE:
1- 16 OZ WHIPPING CREAM
1- 16 OZ HALF AND HALF
2- CANS OF EAGLE BRAND SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK
6- EGG YOLKS
Ύ CUP OF SUGAR
Ό TSP. OF SALT
For Vanilla ice cream:
You can add vanilla extract to taste if you want basic vanilla. Better yet – Get several vanilla beans – and scrape the insides into a very small amount of water (2 oz. or so) and then simmer the beans and the scrapings to extract all the flavor you can. Add to the mix.
You can also do some interesting things with nutmeg and cinnamon to create an egg-nog flavor.
For Strawberry:
1-1/2 lbs. strawberries. Cut up half of them into Ό’’ – ½’’ pieces
Puree the rest, and add to the the above mix.
For Chocolate Covered Strawberry flavor –
Add 3 Hersheys Dark Chocolate candy bars. Mince them into 1/8’’ – Ό’’ pieces, then add to the mix above.

For Chocolate Covered Cherry- same as above – but with use ripe Bing cherries – or what ever cherries are available.

For Cajun Banana Nut – Use the basic recipe above, and then add:
3- 4 - 6 Ripe bananas – mashed well with a fork until “chunky puree”
4- Heat skillet with 3-4 tbs. of butter, and a pink of salt and 1 cup packed dark brown sugar.
5- After the mixture is gently warmed until the sugar is completely dissolved - Add approx 6-8 oz. of chopped pecans, stirring them in to coat them. Turn off heat – and keep moving them around until the brown sugar begins to cling to the pecan. Then place them on a cookie sheet to cool, then break them up and add to the above basic mix along with bananas as above.

For Amaretto Peach:
1-1/2 lbs. of ripe peaches, chopped into small pieces like in the strawberry recipe. Puree half of them.
Warm skillet on low/medium, and add 2 tbs. butter. Put approx. ½ lb. sliced or almond slivers in skillet, watch and stir constantly. Brown them. Then add fine ground salt to taste. Add to mix.
You can also add a shot or two of real Amaretto if you want – or a few drops of Almond extract. Careful though, you can overpower the peach flavor.

This is incredibly rich... and not like the the typical home made ice cream ( which is most often ice "milk" ) and not for everybody.
But - if you like silky smooth, buttery rich frozen custard...THIS is it.
T

Old 05-29-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Isn't real ice cream just frozen custard anyway?

With an exception of "Philadelphia Style" ice cream they pretty much all call for eggs, many of the mixtures cooked until slightly thickened.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Nope.......

Look at the butterfat content of most ice creams - vs - frozen custards.

And - if you have tasted both - you know the difference in how the texture of them is different. Likely due to the lack of miniscule ice crystals in the custard - but normal of ice cream.

T
Old 05-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Your FC recipe is similar to my IC recipe except for the sweetened condensed milk which I don't use.

Are you saying the fat content of FC should be higher than that of IC?
Old 05-29-2011, 11:05 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have eaten both. But I still think that they are pretty much the same thing. Frozen custard seems to always have egg, and ice cream can have egg too. The recipes always seem pretty similar for the two.

Frozen custard seems more of a marketing term than a differentiation between frozen desserts.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

That seems to be the common difference in tastes - thus how folks define whether it is ice cream or custard.

Far richer taste, much smoother texture - *and* it does not freeze solid like normal home made ice cream. Stays very "scoop-able".

If you give it a try - I think you will concur. There is a significant difference in how many eggs, and the use of only whipping cream and half and half as apposed to milk.
Less water content, plus more butter fat makes Johnny a rotund, and happy boy!

T
Old 05-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I have eaten both. But I still think that they are pretty much the same thing. Frozen custard seems to always have egg, and ice cream can have egg too. The recipes always seem pretty similar for the two.

Frozen custard seems more of a marketing term than a differentiation between frozen desserts.
There may be a difference in the critical nature of what I taste, that is not the same as your tasting.

But I can assure you - this recipe - as simple as it is - is absolutely the richest, smoothest, frozen custard that I have made.

I grew up eating "ice-milk" - that most of us called ice cream. BIG difference.
T
Old 05-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Frozen custard is a whole different mouth feel, even though the flavors and recipes have a lot in common.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

And - that is perhaps the most important part - or at least the one that impresses upon one the difference. The mouth feel. The smooth, buttery richness, as opposed to a more grainy feel as with ice creams.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:20 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

From reading both IC and FC, require at least 10% butterfat.

Still they seem to be very similar products to me. Super Premium ice cream has much higher butterfat content, so is it really frozen custard? Hmmmm...

Tags
recipe, cream

Ice cream? Not exactly.... [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri] ICE CREAM RECIPE….O.K. – IT IS REALLY FROZEN CUSTARD[/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]( It will not freeze solid like typical homemade ice cream – and it is as rich and creamy as anything you will ever eat! ) But – it uses un cooked egg yolks – so if you are squeamish about it – you may to heat the mixture gently in a pan on the stove first. I have never had a problem – but…hey – I eat “bait” (sushi)…[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]BASIC RECIPE:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1-[/SIZE][/FONT] [/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]16 OZ WHIPPING CREAM[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1-[/SIZE][/FONT] [/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]16 OZ HALF AND HALF[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]2-[/SIZE][/FONT] [/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]CANS OF EAGLE BRAND SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]6- EGG YOLKS[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Ύ CUP OF SUGAR[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Ό TSP. OF SALT[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]For Vanilla ice cream:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]You can add vanilla extract to taste if you want basic vanilla. Better yet – Get several vanilla beans – and scrape the insides into a very small amount of water (2 oz. or so) and then simmer the beans and the scrapings to extract all the flavor you can. Add to the mix.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]You can also do some interesting things with nutmeg and cinnamon to create an egg-nog flavor.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]For Strawberry:[/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri] 1-1/2 lbs. strawberries. Cut up half of them into Ό’’ – ½’’ pieces[/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Puree the rest, and add to the the above mix.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]For Chocolate Covered Strawberry flavor –[/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri] Add 3 Hersheys Dark Chocolate candy bars. Mince them into 1/8’’ – Ό’’ pieces, then add to the mix above.[/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]For Chocolate Covered Cherry- same as above – but with use ripe Bing cherries – or what ever cherries are available.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]For Cajun Banana Nut – Use the basic recipe above, and then add:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]3-[/SIZE][/FONT] [/FONT][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri] 4 - 6 Ripe bananas – mashed well with a fork until “chunky puree”[/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]4-[/SIZE][/FONT] [/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Heat skillet with 3-4 tbs. of butter, and a pink of salt and 1 cup packed dark brown sugar.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]5-[/SIZE][/FONT] [/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]After the mixture is gently warmed until the sugar is completely dissolved - Add approx 6-8 oz. of chopped pecans, stirring them in to coat them. Turn off heat – and keep moving them around until the brown sugar begins to cling to the pecan. Then place them on a cookie sheet to cool, then break them up and add to the above basic mix along with bananas as above.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]For Amaretto Peach:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]1-1/2 lbs. of ripe peaches, chopped into small pieces like in the strawberry recipe. Puree half of them.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Warm skillet on low/medium, and add 2 tbs. butter. Put approx. ½ lb. sliced or almond slivers in skillet, watch and stir constantly. Brown them. Then add fine ground salt to taste. Add to mix.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]You can also add a shot or two of real Amaretto if you want – or a few drops of Almond extract. Careful though, you can overpower the peach flavor.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]This is incredibly rich... and not like the the typical home made ice cream ( which is most often ice "milk" ) and not for everybody. [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]But - if you like silky smooth, buttery rich frozen custard...THIS is it.:wink:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]T[/SIZE][/FONT] 3 stars 1 reviews