Ice cream? Not exactly....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teesquare

Assistant Cook
ICE CREAM RECIPE….O.K. – IT IS REALLY FROZEN CUSTARD
( It will not freeze solid like typical homemade ice cream – and it is as rich and creamy as anything you will ever eat! ) But – it uses un cooked egg yolks – so if you are squeamish about it – you may to heat the mixture gently in a pan on the stove first. I have never had a problem – but…hey – I eat “bait” (sushi)…
BASIC RECIPE:
1- 16 OZ WHIPPING CREAM
1- 16 OZ HALF AND HALF
2- CANS OF EAGLE BRAND SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK
6- EGG YOLKS
¾ CUP OF SUGAR
¼ TSP. OF SALT
For Vanilla ice cream:
You can add vanilla extract to taste if you want basic vanilla. Better yet – Get several vanilla beans – and scrape the insides into a very small amount of water (2 oz. or so) and then simmer the beans and the scrapings to extract all the flavor you can. Add to the mix.
You can also do some interesting things with nutmeg and cinnamon to create an egg-nog flavor.
For Strawberry:
1-1/2 lbs. strawberries. Cut up half of them into ¼’’ – ½’’ pieces
Puree the rest, and add to the the above mix.
For Chocolate Covered Strawberry flavor –
Add 3 Hersheys Dark Chocolate candy bars. Mince them into 1/8’’ – ¼’’ pieces, then add to the mix above.

For Chocolate Covered Cherry- same as above – but with use ripe Bing cherries – or what ever cherries are available.

For Cajun Banana Nut – Use the basic recipe above, and then add:
3- 4 - 6 Ripe bananas – mashed well with a fork until “chunky puree”
4- Heat skillet with 3-4 tbs. of butter, and a pink of salt and 1 cup packed dark brown sugar.
5- After the mixture is gently warmed until the sugar is completely dissolved - Add approx 6-8 oz. of chopped pecans, stirring them in to coat them. Turn off heat – and keep moving them around until the brown sugar begins to cling to the pecan. Then place them on a cookie sheet to cool, then break them up and add to the above basic mix along with bananas as above.

For Amaretto Peach:
1-1/2 lbs. of ripe peaches, chopped into small pieces like in the strawberry recipe. Puree half of them.
Warm skillet on low/medium, and add 2 tbs. butter. Put approx. ½ lb. sliced or almond slivers in skillet, watch and stir constantly. Brown them. Then add fine ground salt to taste. Add to mix.
You can also add a shot or two of real Amaretto if you want – or a few drops of Almond extract. Careful though, you can overpower the peach flavor.

This is incredibly rich... and not like the the typical home made ice cream ( which is most often ice "milk" ) and not for everybody.
But - if you like silky smooth, buttery rich frozen custard...THIS is it.;)
T

Isn't real ice cream just frozen custard anyway?

With an exception of "Philadelphia Style" ice cream they pretty much all call for eggs, many of the mixtures cooked until slightly thickened.

Nope.......

Look at the butterfat content of most ice creams - vs - frozen custards.

And - if you have tasted both - you know the difference in how the texture of them is different. Likely due to the lack of miniscule ice crystals in the custard - but normal of ice cream.

T

Your FC recipe is similar to my IC recipe except for the sweetened condensed milk which I don't use.

Are you saying the fat content of FC should be higher than that of IC?

I have eaten both. But I still think that they are pretty much the same thing. Frozen custard seems to always have egg, and ice cream can have egg too. The recipes always seem pretty similar for the two.

Frozen custard seems more of a marketing term than a differentiation between frozen desserts.

That seems to be the common difference in tastes - thus how folks define whether it is ice cream or custard.

Far richer taste, much smoother texture - *and* it does not freeze solid like normal home made ice cream. Stays very "scoop-able".

If you give it a try - I think you will concur. There is a significant difference in how many eggs, and the use of only whipping cream and half and half as apposed to milk.
Less water content, plus more butter fat makes Johnny a rotund, and happy boy!:LOL:

T

Last edited:
I have eaten both. But I still think that they are pretty much the same thing. Frozen custard seems to always have egg, and ice cream can have egg too. The recipes always seem pretty similar for the two.

Frozen custard seems more of a marketing term than a differentiation between frozen desserts.

There may be a difference in the critical nature of what I taste, that is not the same as your tasting.

But I can assure you - this recipe - as simple as it is - is absolutely the richest, smoothest, frozen custard that I have made.

I grew up eating "ice-milk" - that most of us called ice cream. BIG difference.
T

And - that is perhaps the most important part - or at least the one that impresses upon one the difference. The mouth feel. The smooth, buttery richness, as opposed to a more grainy feel as with ice creams.

From reading both IC and FC, require at least 10% butterfat.

Still they seem to be very similar products to me. Super Premium ice cream has much higher butterfat content, so is it really frozen custard? Hmmmm...

We have a frozen custard shop here that is really good, their product seems to have less fat than traditional ice cream, but a super smooth texture from much less air incorporated in the product. Then there is the chain called "Rita's" which sells frozen custard from a machine that incorporates a lot of air into their product, still a smooth product but lots of air, not what I consider a quality product, but not horrible either.

Good question.... but I don't think my recipe could ever be as low as 10%.......

Have you tasted frozen custard side by side with ice cream? Willing to bet if you do - blindfolded - and without knowing which is which - your mouth will tell you.

And - if you have not - treat yourself to really good IC vs really good FC. The difference is amazing, and a startling contrast to the similarities you see on paper.
T

And - I had thought of using the Vita-Mix to blend the liquid ingredients - but decided not to.
I did not want to add air - prior to tasting it thoroughly.

Semantics of the name/definition aside - there is a taste/textural difference that I think may have more to do with the omission of milk - and the inclusion of the Eagle Brand - or perhaps any sweetened condensed milk. Of course 6 egg yolks - and all of the cream can't hurt either!:rolleyes:
T

Last edited:
When I was allowed to make Gelato I use Creme Anglaise (english custard) as my base, if I want to cheat I use Marks and Spencer fresh deluxe custard which I add anti-freeze (booze) then run it through my machine.
My favorite soft product is chocolate and amaretto Semi Freddo made without the machine.:)

Bolas-
I have never attempted to make gelato - but I do enjoy it. It comes close in smoothness to the recipe I posted.
But- I thought gelato did not used much dairy....? Perhaps there are as many different methods and recipes with gelato - as there are other frozen dessert?

I suppose I should try to make some gelato....!
T

I usually use 2 cups milk, 4 cups heavy cream(2 cups in the cooking mixture and two cups into the cooled cooked mixture), 6 to 12 egg yolks and 14 tablespoons (7/8 cups) of sugar and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract.

Bolas-
I have never attempted to make gelato - but I do enjoy it. It comes close in smoothness to the recipe I posted.
But- I thought gelato did not used much dairy....? Perhaps there are as many different methods and recipes with gelato - as there are other frozen dessert?

I suppose I should try to make some gelato....!
T
This is both my gelato and creme Anglais recipe 500 mls semi skimmed milk,150 grms sugar,4 egg yolks and 1 tsp of Vanilla extract.
My kid brother bought me a Gaggia Gelatteria for a birthday present and any mix you run through it comes out smooth and creamy.
The difference between US icecream recipes and Italian seems to be the fat and sugar content.
Ps my Gaggia was locked away by my wife :(
PPS the fat content of milk interests me,I use skimmed milk for my macchiato or cappuccino coffee as it gives a denser and more creamy foam.

I am familiar with the use of skim milk for frothing in coffees...but I believe that the physics are different in the making of cold/frozen desserts...? In the coffees - the fats would weigh down the milks ability to foam/froth either due to actual weight - or the chemistry aspect of the fats in aeration.

Exactly how would you say that the gelato maker works? Is it like how home made ice cream freezers work? Or is there something different in how they work ( i.e. - speed of rotation of the drum? Different mixer type, etc...?)

Tees, I had a magimix before the type you put the bowl in the freezer, the results were ok.The Gaggia is simple you just pre cool for 5mins then put your liquid in and 20 mins later you get smooth creamy calories.
I think it beats in more air as the end product seems to have more volume.:)

Thanks Bolas!
I have 2 different brands of "ice-cream freezers"...
One is the Cuisinart - which has the bowl that you freeze first. The other is a traditional type of electric one, which requires that you fill around the mixing cannister with ice and salt.

The recipe volume requires me to use both of these. I saw, nor tasted any difference in texture between the two...tho the type of mixing blades/paddles is different. Of course, this is not a conclusive answer to the question of air-entrainment affecting texture - but just my experience here.

I am hopeful that others will try this recipe - and report their findings. Thus far - it has been the best one I have used.
T

Back
Top Bottom