Ice "cream" using Tofu, Pudding, and Splenda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fliggie

Cook
This is a basic but fairly healthy adaptation of some recipes I found in the book, The Ice Cream and Frozen Yogurt Cookbook(by Mabel and Gar Hoffman, great recipes!)--I wanted something healthful, but I found using the fat free yogurt gave my ice cream a bit of a twang I couldn't get rid of, and the end products I kept getting were a little stiff. This adaptation of some their recipes goes as follows:

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup whole milk (146 cal)
  • 1 t plain Knox gelatin (5 cal)
  • 8 oz of Mori-Nu Lt. Tofu (95 cal)
  • 3 T Splenda (0 Cal)
  • 1 package of sugar free/fat free instant pudding (flavor of choice) (120 cal)
  • 1 t vanilla
  • .33 c nonfat dry milk (145 cal)
  • .33 c water
  • 1 egg white (17 cal)
Total basic recipe: 528 calories

• add 1 t of gelatin to .5 c whole milk and let stand for one minute. Microwave on med-low power for about a minute, or until gelatin is dissolved when you wisk it through. Set aside for a moment.
  • in a food processor, add and puree the tofu, the splenda, and the vanilla.
  • after well-blended, add the gelatin and milk mix. Process again.
  • add the remaining .5 cup whole milk. Process til smooth.
  • add 1 package of FF/SF pudding and process til mixed completely.
  • Mix the .33 c water and the .33 cup NF dry milk til smooth. Add egg white. Beat until you have stiff white peaks. Fold into your pudding mixture.
  • Add mixture to your ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions.
The original recipes are for a quart, but this makes a little more than a pint, just enough to split between the two of us. Its not ice cream, but its very smooth. Last evening, I added a little mint to a chocolate mixture, 2 oz. of hershey's mint chocolate chips, and sprinkled just a little crushed peppermint candy on top. We eat it right out of the mixer, so I have no idea what happens to it if you cure it or store it overnight.

Not Ben and Jerry's, but a nice treat if you are watching your calories. Will try instant cheesecake flavored pudding next, with some frozen blueberries added....

Not for me. Sugar substitutes like Splenda have a funny aftertaste. If you like making it, enjoy! But just thinking about this recipe, let alone tasting it, makes me think of vomitting.

Back
Top Bottom