ISO: TNT Semifreddo Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
I watched Food TV this weekend, and two shows (featuring cold summer treats/desserts) prepared Semifreddo. Aside from not having an ice cream maker, sounds like the next best thing for a cold semi-frozen summer dessert. Any TNT recipes out there? TIA.

BTW, if you didn't catch the shows - Giada made beautiful nutella gelato ice cream cones with hazelnuts (and a shake with the nutella gelato and Kahlua, then a pineapple semifreddo). Michael also made his version of semifreddo (as I recall, an ice cream-social show). If you didn't catch the shows, it's worth taking a look at on their website. I did look at some semifreddo recipes i.e. covered in chocolate and sprinkled with pistachios, that looked very good.

Last edited:
Gianduja semifreddo

150g (5,3 oz) gianduja coarsely crushed
125 g (4,4 oz) macarons coarsely crushed
50 g (1,75 oz) lightly grilled almonds coarsely crushed
50 g (1,75 oz) dried raisins
3 eggs
125 g (4,4 oz) sugar
25 g (1 oz) corn syrup
50 cl (2 cups) whipped cream
5cl (1 Tbsp) amaretto

Macerate raisins in amaretto for 1/2 h.

Combine gianduja, almonds and macarons and drained raisins .
In a large bowl, beat egg yolks with sugar and corn syrup until thick and fluffy. Add carefully whipped cream very cold. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add to preceding mixture.

Wrap a 26 cm (10 inches) rectangular cake pan with cling film. Sprinkle with 1/3 of gianduja combination. Add 1/2 of the cream mixture, sprinkle with another 1/3 of gianduja combination, add remaining cream mixture and finish with last 1/3 gianduja combination. Put in the freeze for at least 3 hours.

Remove from pan on a plate. Serve cut in slices.

I don't have a pic for this but it is really easy to make and delicious :)

Please ask if something is not understandable :)

Sabrine said:
Gianduja semifreddo

150g (5,3 oz) gianduja coarsely crushed
125 g (4,4 oz) macarons coarsely crushed
50 g (1,75 oz) lightly grilled almonds coarsely crushed
50 g (1,75 oz) dried raisins
3 eggs
125 g (4,4 oz) sugar
25 g (1 oz) corn syrup
50 cl (2 cups) whipped cream
5cl (1 Tbsp) amaretto

Macerate raisins in amaretto for 1/2 h.

Combine gianduja, almonds and macarons and drained raisins .
In a large bowl, beat egg yolks with sugar and corn syrup until thick and fluffy. Add carefully whipped cream very cold. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add to preceding mixture.

Wrap a 26 cm (10 inches) rectangular cake pan with cling film. Sprinkle with 1/3 of gianduja combination. Add 1/2 of the cream mixture, sprinkle with another 1/3 of gianduja combination, add remaining cream mixture and finish with last 1/3 gianduja combination. Put in the freeze for at least 3 hours.

Remove from pan on a plate. Serve cut in slices.

I don't have a pic for this but it is really easy to make and delicious :)

Please ask if something is not understandable :)

Oh, my. This looks heavenly, Sabrine. I am unfamiliar with an ingredient -- could this be it? What would it be called in US? - could I find it in the chocolate section or would Nutella do?. Thanks so much!! I'll bet you are surrounded with some of the best chocolate. :)

Gianduja (or, more commonly, gianduia) is also the name of a sweet chocolate containing about 50% hazelnut and almond paste. The chocolate hazelnut gelato of the same name originates in Switzerland, as does Gianduia fondue. A related product from Ferrero is Nutella, which was originally called Pasta Gianduja.
Gianduiotti, a speciality of Turin, are chocolates shaped like an upturned boat, again made with a mixture of cocoa and hazelnut paste.

Last edited:
Nutella wouldn't work because it's a paste where as the Gianduja are whole chcolates. Do you have ferrero rocher there? That could do it, although it has wafer so would change the texture. I think you might be able to find it in a good deli, and I would say it would be under the same name.

The best substitution failing the ferrero rocher would be plain chocolate.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_13256,00.html

I have made this one, it's gorgeous!

Kyles is right : Nutella wouldn't be a great substitute. If you can't find gianduja, just use a chocolate bar with nuts and crush it . It will be fine :)

Yes we have lovely chocolate here :)

Back
Top Bottom