Katie's Dutch Chocolate Ice Cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
Okay, boys and girls. I used an electric Cuisinart frozen yogurt-ice cream machine. Here's the "rest of the story:"

[FONT=&quot]KATIE’S DUTCH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](Serves 6 to 8)[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]3 cups half-and-half[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 vanilla bean[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]¾ cup granulated sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]¾ cup Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 large eggs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tsp. pure vanilla extract[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Pour half-and-half into a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan. Split the vanilla bean lengthwise with a sharp knife and scrape the seeds into the saucepan; drop the pod in, too. Over low heat, cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not scorch. Turn off heat. Remove the vanilla pod and discard or rinse and reserve for another use. Remove 1 cup hot mixture, then add chocolate chips. Whisk until the chips have completely melted.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar and cocoa to break up any cocoa lumps. Add eggs and beat with an electric mixer on MEDIUM speed until the mixture is thickened like mayonnaise.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In a small, slow stream, beating on LOW, add the reserved hot mixture to the chocolate/egg mixture. Beat until completely incorporated.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Pour the tempered chocolate/egg mixture into the saucepan. Whisk to blend. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture thickens to about the consistency of chocolate pudding. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla extract.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Pour into a bowl, placing plastic wrap directly on top of custard and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Scrape into ice cream machine and churn for about 25 to 30 minutes or to the consistency you prefer. Serve immediately for soft-serve or place in the freezer to freeze harder. Store any leftover ice cream in the freezer in a container with a tight-fitting lid.[/FONT]

Okay, boys and girls. I used an electric Cuisinart frozen yogurt-ice cream machine. Here's the "rest of the story:"

[FONT=&quot]KATIE’S DUTCH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](Serves 6 to 8)[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]3 cups half-and-half[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 vanilla bean[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]¾ cup granulated sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]¾ cup Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 large eggs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tsp. pure vanilla extract[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Pour half-and-half into a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan. Split the vanilla bean lengthwise with a sharp knife and scrape the seeds into the saucepan; drop the pod in, too. Over low heat, cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not scorch. Turn off heat. Remove the vanilla pod and discard or rinse and reserve for another use. Remove 1 cup hot mixture, then add chocolate chips. Whisk until the chips have completely melted.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar and cocoa to break up any cocoa lumps. Add eggs and beat with an electric mixer on MEDIUM speed until the mixture is thickened like mayonnaise.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In a small, slow stream, beating on LOW, add the reserved hot mixture to the chocolate/egg mixture. Beat until completely incorporated.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Pour the tempered chocolate/egg mixture into the saucepan. Whisk to blend. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture thickens to about the consistency of chocolate pudding. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla extract.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Pour into a bowl, placing plastic wrap directly on top of custard and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Scrape into ice cream machine and churn for about 25 to 30 minutes or to the consistency you prefer. Serve immediately for soft-serve or place in the freezer to freeze harder. Store any leftover ice cream in the freezer in a container with a tight-fitting lid.[/FONT]

This sounds great! Thank you for posting the recipe!

I don't think you'll be disappointed, merstar. It's really, really dark chocolate. Almost like tar and very rich in spite of the fact that I only used half-and-half. Can't imagine what it would be like if I used cream. That's for another time.:rolleyes::devilish:

I don't think you'll be disappointed, merstar. It's really, really dark chocolate. Almost like tar and very rich in spite of the fact that I only used half-and-half. Can't imagine what it would be like if I used cream. That's for another time.:rolleyes::devilish:

Katie,
That's great - the darker the better! I'm planning on trying it, so I'll definitely let you know how it turns out. Did you develop this recipe yourself?
I've been using Dorie Greenspan's Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream with a few tweaks, and it's also excellent - very dark and luscious. I can email you the recipe if you'd like, although it sounds like you've found your ultimate!

Katie, I wanted to let you know that my son has recently taken an interest in ice cream making (thank you, Alton Brown) so I gave him your recipe this morning and he has made the custard and now we are waiting for ice cream. I really can't wait, but I will, lol.

Katie,
That's great - the darker the better! I'm planning on trying it, so I'll definitely let you know how it turns out. Did you develop this recipe yourself?
I've been using Dorie Greenspan's Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream with a few tweaks, and it's also excellent - very dark and luscious. I can email you the recipe if you'd like, although it sounds like you've found your ultimate!

Yes, I did. After all, chocolate IS one of the food groups.:LOL: If Buck was here, I'd have to fight him for the last bite. As it is, I took some with me to my friends' house yesterday and they'll have to fight each other over their last bites.:wacko::wacko:

Please, please, please.....email me the recipe. Anything chocolate gets my attention.

Yes, I did. After all, chocolate IS one of the food groups.:LOL: If Buck was here, I'd have to fight him for the last bite. As it is, I took some with me to my friends' house yesterday and they'll have to fight each other over their last bites.:wacko::wacko:

Please, please, please.....email me the recipe. Anything chocolate gets my attention.

Katie,
I can't wait to try your recipe! I will PM you the Dorie Greenspan one in a few minutes.

Okay, just made this for the third time. After it chilled I added chocolate fudge sauce as a ripple and chocolate chips. Oh, man that is deadly ice cream. Katie, you have me and my guys (neither of who SHOULD be eating this) addicted to the stuff!

You put vanilla extract in at the end. The vanilla bean is just to infuse more flavour and the seeds add a special touch to any ice cream.

If you don't have a bean I would suggest just heating the milk to just below boiling (not the 30 minutes), and then adding the chips and proceeding as normal. You could double the extract at the end, but I don't think it is necessary to do that.

Back
Top Bottom