"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Frozen Desserts & Ice Creams

Old 04-05-2006, 07:57 AM   #11
Head Chef

Qsis, that sounds absolutely yummy! Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks! And thanks for the other inputs too!

Old 04-11-2006, 05:07 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
mish;

I imagine that it wouldn't be problematic to substitute cream for condensed milk and maybe a 10% cream for evaporated milk??? Am I close???

Aad Sach Sing

- "History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte
- "History is the lie commonly agreed upon," - Voltaire
- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
BrianMorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:37 AM   #13
Head Chef

Qsis, I made your Paul Dean Oreo Cookie Ice Cream and it was a certified HIT! I think next time I will omit the sandwich filling to cut down the sweetness a bit (just a personal preference, mind you.) Also, the ice cream froze pretty nicely -- not rock hard at all! I garnished each ice cream bowl with an oreo cookie minus the filling. It was beautiful! Somebody praised it as the best ice cream he's ever had and asked for the recipe. (The recipe is so easy it's actually almost embarassing to reveal it! )

Thank you Qsis!!!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:00 PM   #14
Head Chef

Well, Chopstix, on behalf of Paula Dean, "you're welcome". :-)

Be nice to play around with other kinds of cookies, candies, nuts, fruits, flavorings,etc. to vary the ice cream. I bet a mint chocolate chip one would be delish!

Lee
Old 04-27-2006, 10:45 AM   #15
Head Chef

Ya! Am also thinking brownies, choco chip cookie dough, chocolate nut bars....etc! The darker and more bittersweet the chocolate is, the better. The oreo cookie's rich dark chocolate taste works so well against the sweetness of the ice cream.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:42 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
I've made this - easy and delicious. Recipes : Easy Homemade Cookie Ice Cream : Food Network

Lee
Daisy mentioned above about whipping it a few times during the freezing process.

When whipping, is it ok to use a electric egg beater style tool to whip it up? Or just use a fork and get aggressive.

I imagine the whipping would get harder as it gets colder.

No "Whip it good" jokes ok!
Old 06-13-2008, 05:29 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Hello Chopstix :)

I think you can use the same receipes for making icecream without the icecream maker as for with it.

When you make icecream without the icecream maker be sure to stir it every couple of hours while you are freezing it. The idea is to get as much air into it as possible. I sometimes make icecream but have never made it with an icecream maker. I want an icecream maker so hopefully I will get one soon. I am a bit lazy about going out and finding things like that.

Mel
Old 06-13-2008, 09:31 PM   #18
Head Chef

All you need are two ziplocks. A gallon bag and a quart bag.
Put 1-2 cups of the ice cream you want to freeze in the quart bag and seal. place in the gallon bag. Around that quart bag inside the gallon bag add crushed ice and course ground rock salt. Seal the bag and agitate for 10 minutes or so. It will freeze the the mixture quite nicely..Just keep it moving.

We make simple ice cream camping this way. 1 cup milk 2 tbls sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla in the quart bag..

The more mix the longer it takes to freeze. Don't try it with more than 2 cups. If the ice all melts, add more to the gallon bag along with more salt.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:53 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G. View Post
Put 1-2 cups of the ice cream you want to freeze in the quart bag and seal. place in the gallon bag. Around that quart bag inside the gallon bag add crushed ice and course ground rock salt. Seal the bag and agitate for 10 minutes or so. It will freeze the the mixture quite nicely..Just keep it moving.

We make simple ice cream camping this way. 1 cup milk 2 tbls sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla in the quart bag..

The more mix the longer it takes to freeze. Don't try it with more than 2 cups. If the ice all melts, add more to the gallon bag along with more salt.
That sounds great for a camp situation, but at home I think I will stick to the freezer for mine.

I am planning on making this tomorrow. If all you have to do is airate it every few hours to keep it fluffy, then I am assuming an electric egg beater on slow would work for this.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:27 AM   #20
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G. View Post

I'll bet you could make more using a 1 gallon bag inside a 2 gallon bag. You would just need to play catch for around 15 minutes longer.

Besides, just think, you could work off the calories before you ate the ice cream! What fun!

Tags
None