Making Ice Cream without Ice Cream Maker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I have made a batch of this up. It is in the freezer now and needs whipping again in an hours time. Then again in another two, then two more and the 6 hour freeze is complete.

It made about 1.25 - 1.5 litres of ice cream. Might get more after the two whips.

Just on a side note - This recipe asks for 4 teaspoons of vanilla extract. No you can also get a vanilla paste, and vanilla beans.

Can anyone give some sort of correllation between ratios of each. So how much 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract is in paste and actual bean?

Last edited:
Done and dusted.

It is the next day now and the ice cream is frozen nicely. I have done the taste test and it is very nice. Probably a little too much vanilla for me so I might halve the vanilla next time. But all in all it was as good as a bought product. I made the recipe QSis posted.

I will use this recipe as my base to add other flavours to, but with only 1 teaspoon of vanilla so it does not over power the other flavours.

So, you whipped every couple of hours, knight? With an electric mixer? I didn't touch it, once it went into the freezer.

Maybe one of these days I'll try a side-by-side comparison. I REALLY liked the easy way! LOL!

Lee

So, you whipped every couple of hours, knight? With an electric mixer? I didn't touch it, once it went into the freezer.

Maybe one of these days I'll try a side-by-side comparison. I REALLY liked the easy way! LOL!

Lee

Yes, I whipped every couple of hours with electric mixer, I dont think it really made a big difference. In fact I dont think it made a difference at all.

Oh, and I discovered that I was using Vanilla extract concentrated not just the regular extract, so when I put in 4 teaspoons it was more like 8 teaspoons. Very Vanilla tasting :)

I made this again yesterday and only used two teaspoons ov concentrated vanilla extract this time. Also, the recipe calls for two cups of heavy cream, here they come in 600 ml jars so I put all of that into it.

Turned out very nice. I didnt whip it after the first time to final mix the ingredients and it turned out fine. Very creamy and yummy.

At last!!!!!!

I got a new icecream maker yesterday. :)
I have been wanting one for ages. They are selling a batch of them at the local supermarket this week so I didnt have to go looking around the city for one.

I have made the recipe that QSis posted again but this time changed the vanilla essence for peppermint essence. Just before putting this into the freezer I added some green food colouring and it came out great. There is only a little bit left of this now.

Next time, I am gunna add some choc chips to the peppermint ice cream.

I am going to try doing a caramel one based off this recipe next. Not sure wether to use caramel essence, or boil up some caramel from sweetened condensed milk and use that. Would have to increase the cream and eggs to compensate for the thick caramel though.

Loving making ice cream.

im gonna try icecream without an icecream maker later using a recipy i found on the net. we have tons of raspberries in our garden, but will deff try a vanilla one if this one works as thats my favorite flavour!

heres the recipy im using (adapted slightly from the original)
Raspberry Ice Cream
350g (12oz) raspberries, fresh or frozen
juice of 1 orange
juice of 1 lemon
175g (6oz) fine granulated sugar
426ml (15fl oz) double cream (heavy cream)

Puree the raspberries in a blender with the lemon and orange juices, then sieve into a bowl.
Add the sugar, stir and chill for about an hour.
Whip the cream until if forms soft peaks, then stir in the raspberry puree.
Turn into plastic container and cover and freeze for about an hour, after which it needs to be taken out, stirred and then frozen again until solid.

And here are some tips i found on making it withot a machine!
(below is a quote from delias online site about hand making icecream)

If you don’t have an ice-cream maker, you can still make ice-cream. After you have made up your mixture, transfer it to a lidded plastic box (a shallow one enables the freezing to happen more quickly and also makes whisking easier as the beater can go down straight into the box) and put it in the coldest part of the freezer for two hours, or until the contents become firm at the edges. At this stage, empty out the box into a mixing bowl and whisk the ice cream with an electric hand whisk to break down the ice crystals. Return the box to the freezer and freeze for another two hours, then repeat the whisking process. Refreeze the ice-cream ( if making a sorbet that contains a generous quantity of alcohol, freeze overnight ) until 30-45 minutes before you want to serve it, at which time you should transfer it into the fridge to soften. Incidentally, it’s a good idea to arm yourself with a digital kitchen timer to remind you to remove the ice cream and whip it at various stages.

Italian Lemon Semifreddo

1 (15.75-oz.) can lemon pie filling
1 cup whipping cream, whipped
1 pint lemon sorbet, softened
1 (13 3/4-oz.) pkg. soft coconut macaroons, coarsely crumbled

Place pie filling in large bowl. Fold whipped cream into pie filling until nearly blended.

Gradually add spoonfuls of sorbet, mixing at low speed until blended. Reserve 1 cup macaroon crumbs; fold remaining crumbs into whipped cream mixture. Pour mixture into 13x9-inch (3-quart) baking dish. Top with reserved macaroon crumbs. Cover tightly with foil. Freeze at least 4 hours or overnight until firm.

Before serving, refrigerate 1 hour or let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or until slightly thawed. Cut into squares. Store in freezer.

OH MY GOSH!!! I'm turned on just reading this one. Now I'm going to have to make it for sure. To heck with "healthy eating." Just this once. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom