Making sorbet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the happy cooker

Assistant Cook
I would like to know if i could make sorbet with a blackberry wine instead of using the fruit. i need to make alot for my restaurant and adding the fruit would be to costly. Also we are a winery, so i want to incorporate our black berry wine into a recipe. please HELP

We made this for a dinner a while back - Might be interesting with the blackberry wine. I'm thinking of playing with this some more.

From: Morgan Freeman & Friends - Carribean Cooking for a Cause

From the Ocean and Vine Restaurant on St. Barth's
Executive Chef :Greg Wangard

Chocolate & Port Wine Sorbet

2 cups water 3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. cocoa powder 1 vanilla bean halved lengthwise
1/2 c. port wine 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
coarsely chopped

In a medium saucepan, combine water, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla bean, and wine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and add the chocolate stirring just until combined. Remove from the heat and strain. Place the bowl into a larger bowl filled with ice. Stir every 10 minutes until cool. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.

Alcohol will reduce the mixture's ability to freeze. If there is to much alcohol in the mix, the sorbet will be slush.

You could try reducing the wine to cook off some of the alcohol and concentrate flavors but tha would ruin the flavor of the wine.

Speaking of sorbet and slush, can anyone tell me how I can make homemade sorbet without sugar and still have it stay creamy rather than freezing into one giant block of ice? I've tried small amounts of alcohol but it still ices too much, plus it has a bitter aftertaste since I don't add sugar. Anyone know a good non-sweet thickener for fruit sorbets? Thanks!

[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif] My favorite animal is steak. ~Fran Lebowitz[/FONT]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom