"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Frozen Desserts & Ice Creams
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #1
Executive Chef

No-churn Ice Cream

Iíve recently come across several recipes for no-churn ice cream. Have any of you ever tried it? How is it? Does it actually taste like ice cream, or is it just frozen mousse?

Old 04-27-2019, 09:39 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Another question, related:
I’d like to make apple ice cream with the “no-churn” method, but I really don’t want to use chopped apples. Could I use applesauce instead of diced apples? Or is it too wet?

Old 05-01-2019, 05:27 PM   #3
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I have made a frozen dessert with pear puree that is icecream-ish.

It included heavy cream (whipped, sweetened condensed milk, pear puree and some flavorings. It was pretty good and worth doing again. One note that the fruit puree can be grainy useless you super process it. Still, it's tasty and easy. Try it and report back. Inquiring minds.... ;)
Old 05-02-2019, 10:35 AM   #4
Executive Chef

DD told me a while back that her kids in school were going to make the ice cream in bags where you shake it. I'll call her later and see how it came out.
medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:39 PM   #5
Master Chef

Some of my cookbooks from the 40s and 50s have no churn frozen desserts that are made with melted marshmallows, condensed milk, and heavy cream.

These days it would cost more to make them at home than to purchase a container of premium ice cream.

For the apple ice cream idea, I would start with a plain vanilla ice cream and create a warm apple pie topping.

Good luck!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:39 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Some of my cookbooks from the 40s and 50s have no churn frozen desserts that are made with melted marshmallows, condensed milk, and heavy cream.

These days it would cost more to make them at home than to purchase a container of premium ice cream.

For the apple ice cream idea, I would start with a plain vanilla ice cream and create a warm apple pie topping.

Good luck!
If you google apple no-churn ice cream, or even just “apple ice cream,” you pretty much get a list of recipes for vanilla ice cream with apple pie filling swirled through it. I want apple ice cream!

I thought maybe using apple juice concentrate, undiluted, would give a nice apple flavor. What do you think?
Old 05-04-2019, 05:44 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Maybe something like this Apple pie ice cream ? The apples are cooked and then pureed. I've made some thing from this blog before and we liked them. Just leave out the snickerdoodles.

BTW, DD didn't go through with making the ice cream with her kids. She thought about it more and realized she really didn't want to have to clean up the mess that would more than likely be left.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:25 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Maybe something like this Apple pie ice cream ? The apples are cooked and then pureed. I've made some thing from this blog before and we liked them. Just leave out the snickerdoodles.

BTW, DD didn't go through with making the ice cream with her kids. She thought about it more and realized she really didn't want to have to clean up the mess that would more than likely be left.
The recipe looks great, but it’s not no-churned :(.
I’d like to try it though (when I get an ice cream maker!). Thanks!
Old 05-05-2019, 03:07 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
If you google apple no-churn ice cream, or even just “apple ice cream,” you pretty much get a list of recipes for vanilla ice cream with apple pie filling swirled through it. I want apple ice cream!

I thought maybe using apple juice concentrate, undiluted, would give a nice apple flavor. What do you think?
It's worth a try but I would be concerned about the liquid changing the texture.

Another thought would be using an apple flavored liqueur or schnapps but it might come off a little boozy tasting.

If a real clear apple flavor is what you are after I would try a granita recipe, sort of a snowcone with an attitude!

Good luck!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:19 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
The recipe looks great, but itís not no-churned :(.
Iíd like to try it though (when I get an ice cream maker!). Thanks!
What I meant was adapting how she handles the apples to one of the no churn recipes.

Tags
cream, ice cream