Odd request for ice creams and sorbets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

college_cook

Head Chef
OK- so I'm currently taking a chemistry course, and one of th requirements is that we do some sort of volunteering/demonstration related to chemistry for this Chemistry fair the university holds every year, and all young kids from the local schools come to see all the cool demos.

My prof. mentioned during lecture today something about energy, and that was why you could make ice cream in a bag. It got me thinking, that would be an awesome idea for my demo! I talked to the prof after class and she said that would be a great idea, and just to make sure I could find different tests and analysis I could make, so the whole process would actually be like a real experiement.

So I need some good recipes for ice cream and sorbet that I can make by shaking up in a bag, and also some ideas for things I could test for? I was thinking of perhaps adjusting sugar/liquid levels to see how they affected the consistency. If you all have any other ideas of ways I could play around with the recipes to affect the texture or something, please let me know.

Now to the stuff you all are really good at- the recipes!

I wanted to do 3 ice creams and 3 sorbets. For the ice creams, I thought I would start with a creme anglaise, and add additional ingredients to make different flavors. I'd like to find an easy but still tasty creme anglaise recipe, because the one I do have is in enormous quantities and is a little difficult to do at home.

I've never ventured into the world of sorbet before, but from what I understand it seems like it could be as simple as making a fruit-based dessert sauce, cooked in simple syrup, pureed and strained, and then freezing. Any advice you all have would be excellent.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom