Old Fashioned Home Made Ice Cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire
French-Style Vanilla:

4 Egg Whites
4 Egg Yolks
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
2 tbs Vanilla Extract
4 Cups Half & Half
2 Cups Cream

Beat egg yolks until foamy...gradually add 3/4 cup sugar; beat until thickened. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold egg yolk mixture into egg whites. Stir in cream and remaining 3/4 Cups sugar.Transfer to a 3 qt or so saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture coats a spoon. Do not boil! Add Vanilla. Chill thoroughly. Freeze.

This is an old recipe we've used many times before....This time I'm wanting it to be a bit sweeter...You can taste your custard to see if it suits you...Next time I'm gonna add 1/2 cup sugar........

Enjoy!

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to cut the recipe down to fit my ice cream maker. It's limited to 4 cups of cream/half & half.

Uncle Bob, that looks way better than just okay! Great minds must think alike. For me there is no finer dessert that a bowl of home made French Vanilla ice cream.

This is the recipe I've been using for the past 25 or so years. It makes 1 1/2 quarts, which, for us is more manageable than the recipe that fills one of those huge buckets. You can also find it here:

French Vanilla Ice Cream

I’m not sure what makes this ice cream “French, ” but I am sure that it is the best-tasting vanilla ice cream ever. The electric “crank” freezers, like Cuisinart’s, makes executing this recipe pure child’s play. I think the “Big Kids” like it even better than the little ones!

makes about 1 1/2 quarts

1 vanilla bean
2 cups whole milk
3/4 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
2 extra large eggs
1 teaspoon Bourbon Madagascar vanilla extract (the vanilla I prefer for all desserts)
2 cups light cream

1. Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and use the tip of a small sharp knife to scrape out the seeds. Add the bean and the seeds to the milk in the top of a double boiler. Scald the milk mixture.
2. Mix sugar and salt. Add the hot milk, stirring constantly, and return to the double boiler. Stir over boiling water until thickened.
3. Beat the eggs and add a small portion of the hot mixture. Return to the remaining hot mixture and cook, stirring occasionally until the mixture coats a metal spoon. Chill thoroughly.
4. Add the vanilla extract and cream, and freeze in a hand-crank or electric freezer, following the instructions given with either.

Teacher’s Tips: 1. Make the ice cream up to step 4 and refrigerate it overnight. The next day, it’s a snap to add the cream and churn it to perfect consistency. Do let it “set up” in the freezer for several hours before serving so the flavor reaches its peak.
2. When the ice cream is partially frozen, you can choose from many interesting adds to toss into the mixture: M and M’s, chopped Oreo’s, buttered, toasted pecans, chocolate chips… Let your imagination bring out the kid in you!

p.s. I'm making a batch tonight, if you want to come over.

I want an ice cream maker so bad! Maybe for Christmas...

but then you'll miss the whole summer of ice creams and sherbets! I recommend you play Santa to yourself. They're not that expensive. Just look at how much good store bought ice cream costs. You can make that back in no time.

French-Style Vanilla:

4 Egg Whites
4 Egg Yolks
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
2 tbs Vanilla Extract
4 Cups Half & Half
2 Cups Cream

Beat egg yolks until foamy...gradually add 3/4 cup sugar; beat until thickened. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold egg yolk mixture into egg whites. Stir in cream and remaining 3/4 Cups sugar.Transfer to a 3 qt or so saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture coats a spoon. Do not boil! Add Vanilla. Chill thoroughly. Freeze.

Technically.. it's frozen custard since it has egg.. but who cares.. Looks AWESOME!!!

I do make ice cream with nothing more than milk/cream sugar and flavoring, usually vanilla. It is VERY good.. but melts quickly. 2 tbls sugar to cup of milk/cream, add flavoring.

Scotch said:
Technically.. it's frozen custard since it has egg.. but who cares.. Looks AWESOME!!!

Thanks for the compliment! Whether, Frozen Custard, French Ice Cream, or French Custard Ice Cream it was definitely awesome...One that my family prefers over Philadelphia Ice Cream......

Enjoy!!

I just saw a recipe in Woman's World magazine that showed you can use freezer bags to make ice cream! A smaller bag with the ice cream ingredients, then put that in a larger bag with the ice and salt. Roll it around a bit then freeze in the freezer. Reminds me that we did something similar using coffee cans nesting in one another at Girl Scout camp. A good way to test if I would like to have an ice cream machine on hand! (my husband insists I will use it once then store it away)

I just saw a recipe in Woman's World magazine that showed you can use freezer bags to make ice cream! A smaller bag with the ice cream ingredients, then put that in a larger bag with the ice and salt. Roll it around a bit then freeze in the freezer. Reminds me that we did something similar using coffee cans nesting in one another at Girl Scout camp. A good way to test if I would like to have an ice cream machine on hand! (my husband insists I will use it once then store it away)

I have done this a few times when camping. People are amazed when I am setting there eating fresh ice cream.

1 cup milk, 2 tbls sugar, a little vanilla. Place that in a quart ziplock bag and seal.
In a gallon zip lock fill 1/4 way with ice add some small rock salt. Place the quart bag in the gallon bag and seal. Agitate fairly aggressively in the shade for ~10 minutes and you have ice cream. It won't be really hard, it's like the ice cream in a soft serve cone as to solidness.

This is an old recipe we've used many times before....This time I'm wanting it to be a bit sweeter...You can taste your custard to see if it suits you...Next time I'm gonna add 1/2 cup sugar........

Enjoy!

Oh...and I forgot to add..When the Ice Cream freezes it's important to let it "ripen" for a couple of hours. In the Hand Cranked machines this means removing the dasher, scraping it down, packing the freezer with ice, sprinkling on a little Ice Cream Salt, and covering with a folded towel...When I was a kid I used to hate that part...I wanted some right now, but the old folks wouldn't have it any other way...So I was given the dasher to lick on to after it was scraped down........;)

Back
Top Bottom