Palatas - Mexican Popsicles - HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbd4st

Assistant Cook
Hello all!!

I am an intermediate cook at best. I have for years, since I moved from Nashville, longed for a Palata - like the kind Las Palatas creates!

I am familiar with the background on these amazing Mexican Popsicles and have scoured the internet for many recipes to attempt to recreate the perfect texture and taste of the oh so amazing Palatas of my memory.

I have not quite mastered it. My flavors fall short and my freezing techinique lacks luster - much to much like a frozen fruit ice cube than an amazing Palata.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make my flavors pop and my popsicles to properly freeze I would welcome them with open arms!

I am currently using a food processor and freezing straight into popsicle molds.

Some thoughts I have played with and intend to employ are:
Utilizing a different sugar/emulsifier to help with texture (suggestions?)
Working with a food mill or blender instead of the food processor (will this change texture)?
Heating the product and adding the sugar to help with binding?
Working the product through a processor/blender - then through a sieve and adding solids back to mixture in smaller amounts to achieve the natural texture with a stronger flavor?

Please any help on links/suggested readings/direct tips would be greatly appreciated! I live in the Northeast now and these amazing treats are impossible to find!!

Thank you all!

In looking over this article, and recipes, on Mexican Paletas - a couple of things come to mind:

1 - those made with milk will have a creamer texture whereas those without milk will be more fruit-ice like

2 - a food processor is not a blender and it will not give you the same results ... using a blender instead of a food processor may solve some of your emulsification and texture problems.

Hope this helps - and if you try using a blender let me know how they turned out.

hi

Hello all!!

I am an intermediate cook at best. I have for years, since I moved from Nashville, longed for a Palata - like the kind Las Palatas creates!

I am familiar with the background on these amazing Mexican Popsicles and have scoured the internet for many recipes to attempt to recreate the perfect texture and taste of the oh so amazing Palatas of my memory.

I have not quite mastered it. My flavors fall short and my freezing techinique lacks luster - much to much like a frozen fruit ice cube than an amazing Palata.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make my flavors pop and my popsicles to properly freeze I would welcome them with open arms!

I am currently using a food processor and freezing straight into popsicle molds.

Some thoughts I have played with and intend to employ are:
Utilizing a different sugar/emulsifier to help with texture (suggestions?)
Working with a food mill or blender instead of the food processor (will this change texture)?
Heating the product and adding the sugar to help with binding?
Working the product through a processor/blender - then through a sieve and adding solids back to mixture in smaller amounts to achieve the natural texture with a stronger flavor?

Please any help on links/suggested readings/direct tips would be greatly appreciated! I live in the Northeast now and these amazing treats are impossible to find!!

Thank you all!

Hi,.,i love paletas and we make our our Popsicle at home..in my experience we refined sugar works best...we make into a simple syrup, it helps with the 'binding' of the ingredients, we also put some vanilla flavor to our syrup for added flavor..i use food processor in making these coz i feel it mixes thoroughly than a blender..i dont usually use a sieve i just pour the mixture directly to the mold...i love the chunks of fruit in the popsie...hope this helps:chef:

here a recipe form Diana Kennedy,,,
Paletas (Mexican Popsicles) | DianasDesserts.com

paletas-yogurt-agua-p.jpg

Make sure to chill your ingredients in the fridge before you put them in the freezer this should make for smaller ice crystals.

This is all excellent feedback! My next round should be this weekend so I will let you all know how implementing your suggestions works!

Thank you!

When you perfect the horchata one let me in on the technique as I LOVE those and grab one whenever I see that little cart by the produce market.

No, freezing rice pudding just gives you frozen rice pudding.

Back
Top Bottom