Review: Steve's Ice Cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I like having a pint of high-end vanilla ice cream in the freezer for "just in case" - to top a brownie, to add to fresh fruit, etc. I've been buying Graeter's ice cream because it is so good and creamy. Real sundae shop kind of ice cream. Last week, Steve's Ice Cream was next to Graeter's...and it was on sale. "On Sale" - two of my favorite words in the English language. It's out of Somerville, MA and appears to be available mostly in East-coast grocery chains...and H.E.B. :huh: Odd choice of marketing, but it must work for them.

I got a pint of Small Batch Bourbon Vanilla. :yum: It includes real Bourbon! :ohmy: I made strawberry shortcakish desserts tonight, and used Steve's ice cream on them. Right after his first taste, Himself said "did you taste the ice cream yet?". I had just licked the scoop clean, and knew exactly what he was getting at! :LOL: Good, really good, but I think Graeter's vanilla is better for strawberry shortcake. ;)

Next time I might make coffee to go with...

Last edited:
That Steve's sounds Great.

Do Y'all have an HEB store up there? Is it the same as our local Texas chain? Wow!

I'll check to see if my store has this product. Cool.

Eric, Austin Tx

I like having a pint of high-end vanilla ice cream in the freezer for "just in case" - to top a brownie, to add to fresh fruit, etc. I've been buying Graeter's ice cream because it is so good and creamy. Real sundae shop kind of ice cream. Last week, Steve's Ice Cream was next to Graeter's...and it was on sale. "On Sale" - two of my favorite words in the English language. It's out of Somerville, MA and appears to be available mostly in East-coast grocery chains...and H.E.B. :huh: Odd choice of marketing, but it must work for them.

I got a pint of Small Batch Bourbon Vanilla. :yum: It includes real Bourbon! :ohmy: I made strawberry shortcakish desserts tonight, and used Steve's ice cream on them. Right after his first taste, Himself said "did you taste the ice cream yet?". I had just licked the scoop clean, and knew exactly what he was getting at! :LOL: Good, really good, but I think Graeter's vanilla is better for strawberry shortcake. ;)

Next time I might make coffee to go with...

The original Steve's in Somerville went out of business quite awhile ago. It was next door to the original Bertucci's (another dying or dead brand)

An employee revived the brand for awhile but it was based in NYC. Now its owned by some big corporate grocery chain out of Texas.

jenny, you hand me that little nugget of info and I end up falling into a rabbit hole! :LOL: I did a little online history searching to get more details. Unless I didn't read enough (or read too much and now have everything all mixed up :wacko: ), it looks like Steve Herrell ran "Steve's" from 1973 to '77, then sold to a neighboring ice cream stand owned by Joey and Nino Crugnale. Four years later the Crugnale's acquired a partner and expanded their market. A mere two years after that, they got tired of the "business" of having a bigger company and over a dozen stores and looked for someone to buy them out. I didn't bother reading through all that happened between 1983 and 2017, but after filing for bankruptcy in 2017 The Fresh Ice Cream Co. of Brooklyn (manufacturers of Steve's) was acquired by Dean Foods of Dallas. Hmm, hardly local. :rolleyes: Like I mentioned earlier, it was a good enough ice cream, but I'll stick with Graeter's as my high-end choice. They're on generation four running the company since it started in 1868 and still make it in 2-gallon French Pot machines. Better than Jeni's Splendid - and we had Jeni's ice cream when we stopped in Columbus last summer. Meh, it was good enough, but not worth the price IMO.

BTW, the rabbit hole had a little side tunnel. It looks like THE Steve Herrell took his talents to Northampton (MA), opened a shop there, and was still turning out ice cream until he retired. His ex-wife (his business partner) took over in 2013; it looks like Herrell's Ice Cream is still open and booming in Northampton.

That Steve's sounds Great.

Do Y'all have an HEB store up there? Is it the same as our local Texas chain? Wow!

I'll check to see if my store has this product. Cool.

Eric, Austin Tx

I don't even have and H-E-B near me in Dallas. Good stores, but not near me.

But, I do have Paciugo gelato stores, including one in the local mall. Rich, creamy goodness. https://paciugo.com

CD

Last edited:
jenny, you hand me that little nugget of info and I end up falling into a rabbit hole! :LOL: I did a little online history searching to get more details. Unless I didn't read enough (or read too much and now have everything all mixed up :wacko: ), it looks like Steve Herrell ran "Steve's" from 1973 to '77, then sold to a neighboring ice cream stand owned by Joey and Nino Crugnale. Four years later the Crugnale's acquired a partner and expanded their market. A mere two years after that, they got tired of the "business" of having a bigger company and over a dozen stores and looked for someone to buy them out. I didn't bother reading through all that happened between 1983 and 2017, but after filing for bankruptcy in 2017 The Fresh Ice Cream Co. of Brooklyn (manufacturers of Steve's) was acquired by Dean Foods of Dallas. Hmm, hardly local. :rolleyes: Like I mentioned earlier, it was a good enough ice cream, but I'll stick with Graeter's as my high-end choice. They're on generation four running the company since it started in 1868 and still make it in 2-gallon French Pot machines. Better than Jeni's Splendid - and we had Jeni's ice cream when we stopped in Columbus last summer. Meh, it was good enough, but not worth the price IMO.

BTW, the rabbit hole had a little side tunnel. It looks like THE Steve Herrell took his talents to Northampton (MA), opened a shop there, and was still turning out ice cream until he retired. His ex-wife (his business partner) took over in 2013; it looks like Herrell's Ice Cream is still open and booming in Northampton.

I don't buy much ice cream in the store or in a shop anymore. I cant recall seeing Steve's in the stores here in Boston the last time I bough tice cream in March.

I did go to the original Steve's on Elm St in Somerville at lot back in the '80's. I liked it better than Herrell's which was on Comm Ave near BU.

Back
Top Bottom